Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2008 7:48:59 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 7:50:04 PM EDT
I prefer proper grammar.

Link Posted: 9/5/2008 7:52:40 PM EDT
If we've learned one thing from 9/11/01, it's that most americans prefer safety over liberty.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 7:53:10 PM EDT
speakmcenglishplease
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 7:54:14 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ampn:
If we've learned one thing from 9/11/01, it's that most americans prefer safety over liberty.

And as such, deserve neither...
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 7:54:30 PM EDT
This should be interesting.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 8:00:13 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DigDug:
speakmcenglishplease

Hmmmmmmm...

Where did I miss english?

If it helps, I could add that we are talking about curfew for American citizens, with certain "super-citizens" specifically excluded from the restrictions.  Would that help make the link more palatable?

Or the explanation that the first post in the link, while out of line totally with grammar and useage standards, was made by a pissed off Libertarian via text message in a brief moment of inactivity amidst a sea of work?
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 8:01:58 PM EDT
FIX BAYONETTS FORWARD!!!!
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 8:04:11 PM EDT
Hey it works in Baghdad.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 8:05:34 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 8:07:00 PM EDT
That is disgusting and sad. It appears that the so-called leadership in your city has complete disdain for the constitution and no respect whatsoever for the citizens. Good luck in getting this remedied.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 8:14:06 PM EDT

Originally Posted By AngeredKabar:

Originally Posted By ampn:

And as such, deserve neither...

amen
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 8:14:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/5/2008 8:15:36 PM EDT by scotchymcdrinkerbean]

Originally Posted By VA-gunnut:
I think they're talking about the title of this thread.

Ah.

Sounds good to my southern ears though.  "How you folks like...." being considered a fair start to many a question in my life.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 8:15:24 PM EDT
So who did this wonderful idea originate with?  Do you know?  
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 8:16:24 PM EDT
It's called "marriage."
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 8:17:44 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SARS:
That is disgusting and sad. It appears that the so-called leadership in your city has complete disdain for the constitution and no respect whatsoever for the citizens. Good luck in getting this remedied.

The Elite vs. The Plebs

They are getting the idea of caging up the citizens... not just the criminals, ALL of em!
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 8:19:01 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Sleepy1988:

Superintendant Warren J. Riley and Mayor C. Ray Nagin.

If anyone is curious, city email adresses follow:

wriley@cityofno.com

rnagin@cityofno.com
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 8:19:47 PM EDT
You can mark me down as being against.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 8:20:07 PM EDT

Probably stole the idea from Washington D.C.
IIRC they were (or still are) shutting down entire neighborhoods....
For the children, of course.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 8:22:29 PM EDT

Originally Posted By scotchymcdrinkerbean:

Chocolate City Ray doesn't wanna let his peeps out to party?
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 8:26:25 PM EDT

If anyone is curious, city email addresses follow:

wriley@cityofno.com

rnagin@cityofno.com

Gee, what a surprise.  The superintendent wouldn't be the other guy holding AR-15 in the picture with Nagin aiming his at his subordinate with his finger in the trigger guard, would it?  

If this is true, will the press pick it up?  How come they haven't already?  
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 8:31:40 PM EDT
The people of New Orleans should have Major Negligent Nagin taken out of office for allowing criminals to persist to the point that he considers curfews for law abiding citizens the only answer.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 8:32:28 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SIRIUS1:
The people of New Orleans should have Major Negligent Nagin taken out of office for allowing criminals to persist to the point that he considers curfews for law abiding citizens the only answer.

Yeah, he seems to be seeing just how many rights he can violate.  

Link Posted: 9/5/2008 8:39:57 PM EDT
I don't like the idea of them at all.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 8:43:59 PM EDT
I like curfews like a hole in the head. (my head).

-JC
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 8:48:14 PM EDT

wriley@cityofno.com

rnagin@cityofno.com

Gee, what a surprise.  The superintendent wouldn't be the other guy holding AR-15 in the picture with Nagin aiming his at his subordinate with his finger in the trigger guard, would it?  

He is.

The local press does not seem to care.  (Curfew does not apply to them either.)
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 8:58:29 PM EDT

This is fucking rich.

So... wtf do we do about it?

Link Posted: 9/5/2008 8:58:35 PM EDT

wriley@cityofno.com

rnagin@cityofno.com

He is.

FUCKING BULLSHIT!  THROW NAGIN'S ASS IN PRISON!  Maybe that's one reason why so much of the press is left leaning, they feel that a left leaning government that fucks everyone over will spare them and even give them preferential treatment.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 5:38:30 AM EDT
Curfews are imposed through legislation covering states of emergency.  As you may have noticed I am not from LA so I don't have them but someone with more time may look them up.

I am not opposed to them in principal since in a major emergency order needs to be restored.  However, imposing them for even a day longer than necessary is a definate problem and needs to be rectified.

Removing the ability to use them isn't the correct answer.  Removing the bonehead who doesn't know how or isn't inclined to use them correctly is.

Here is ours.

Joe

EMERGENCY POWERS OF GOVERNOR (EXCERPT)
Act 302 of 1945

10.31 Proclamation of state of emergency; promulgation of orders, rules, and regulations; seizure of firearms, ammunition, or other weapons.

Sec. 1.

(1) During times of great public crisis, disaster, rioting, catastrophe, or similar public emergency within the state, or reasonable apprehension of immediate danger of a public emergency of that kind, when public safety is imperiled, either upon application of the mayor of a city, sheriff of a county, or the commissioner of the Michigan state police or upon his or her own volition, the governor may proclaim a state of emergency and designate the area involved. After making the proclamation or declaration, the governor may promulgate reasonable orders, rules, and regulations as he or she considers necessary to protect life and property or to bring the emergency situation within the affected area under control. Those orders, rules, and regulations may include, but are not limited to, providing for the control of traffic, including public and private transportation, within the area or any section of the area; designation of specific zones within the area in which occupancy and use of buildings and ingress and egress of persons and vehicles may be prohibited or regulated; control of places of amusement and assembly and of persons on public streets and thoroughfares; establishment of a curfew; control of the sale, transportation, and use of alcoholic beverages and liquors; and control of the storage, use, and transportation of explosives or inflammable materials or liquids deemed to be dangerous to public safety.

(2) The orders, rules, and regulations promulgated under subsection (1) are effective from the date and in the manner prescribed in the orders, rules, and regulations and shall be made public as provided in the orders, rules, and regulations. The orders, rules, and regulations may be amended, modified, or rescinded, in the manner in which they were promulgated, from time to time by the governor during the pendency of the emergency, but shall cease to be in effect upon declaration by the governor that the emergency no longer exists.

(3) Subsection (1) does not authorize the seizure, taking, or confiscation of lawfully possessed firearms, ammunition, or other weapons.
Top Top