Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2006 11:57:01 AM EDT
How would you feel if the feds redefined "machinegun" to mean any firearm designed to fire more than one bullet with one pull of the trigger and any semiautomatic copy of such a firearm?  Assume they grandfathered all "machineguns" currently in private hands (including those currently in a semi-automatic configuration) and waived the tax.  So, under the '86 ban, there'd be no new ARs or AKs or the like in non-governmental hands.  All the old ones would have to be registered with the feds, but all those that were legally owned as of the effective date of the law could legally be modified with short barrels and happy switches.  Would you be for it or against it?  How would you feel about it if you had a couple dozen stripped lowers set aside for a rainy day?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:58:15 AM EDT
[#1]
you're kidding, right?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:59:42 AM EDT
[#2]
And in answer to SteyrAUG's question: "Have we run out of material?"  My answer would apparently be "yes."
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:01:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:01:42 PM EDT
[#4]
That would eviscerate the RKBA.  Right now, in the free states citizens can get effective self-defense rifles.  True, they don't have the happy switch, but they are still very effective self-defense and militia weapons.  Under the hypothetical you suggest, most people would not longer be able to buy effective self-defense rifles.  I would hate such a change.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:02:32 PM EDT
[#5]
20 years from now we'd be in the same position with semi autos that we are with full autos now
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:03:41 PM EDT
[#6]
In a sense they already have done this. The ATF now says that a semi w/ ANY select fire components is a MG.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:05:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:08:18 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
How would you feel if the feds redefined "machinegun" to mean any firearm designed to fire more than one bullet with one pull of the trigger and any semiautomatic copy of such a firearm?  Assume they grandfathered all "machineguns" currently in private hands (including those currently in a semi-automatic configuration) and waived the tax.  So, under the '86 ban, there'd be no new ARs or AKs or the like in non-governmental hands.  All the old ones would have to be registered with the feds, but all those that were legally owned as of the effective date of the law could legally be modified with short barrels and happy switches.  Would you be for it or against it?  How would you feel about it if you had a couple dozen stripped lowers set aside for a rainy day?

NO
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:10:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Aimed semi-auto rifle fire is more effective, anyway.

If you need a machine gun for SHTF, wait until SHTF happens and take one from someone else.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:15:29 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Aimed semi-auto rifle fire is more effective, anyway.

If you need a machine gun for SHTF, wait until SHTF happens and take one from someone else.

Thank you, Captain Obvious.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:17:42 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Aimed semi-auto rifle fire is more effective, anyway...

Thank you, Captain Obvious!  (Just kidding - I like the screen name & agree with your comment in most scenarios. )

As to the question, NO I wouldn't be for it (even though I have a plentiful stash of EBRs) for reasons already given.

ETA:  Darn you both, mattimeo & my own painfully slow typing!
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:19:50 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
And in answer to SteyrAUG's question: "Have we run out of material?"  My answer would apparently be "yes."

yep
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:22:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Disturbingly enough, this has actually been suggested by several of the anti-gun folks we've come to know and hate.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:25:51 PM EDT
[#14]
I wouldn't like it sir, I wouldn't like it one bit.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:26:20 PM EDT
[#15]

i would feel anger.

that is all.

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:28:31 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
And 25, 50, 75, 100 years from now...  Then what?

We sell our guns for $10,000 a pop and live like kings!!
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:32:56 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Disturbingly enough, this has actually been suggested by several of the anti-gun folks we've come to know and hate.

Well, I suppose a bullet hose is a bullet hose, no matter how many thrusts per squeeze.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:34:07 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
And 25, 50, 75, 100 years from now...  Then what?

We sell our guns for $10,000 a pop and live like kings subjects!!

fixed it for ya. citizens are armed, subjects are un-armed.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:35:51 PM EDT
[#19]
No way. That's just what they want us to do - screw everyone from now on out of decent semi-autos for the sake of a few rock-and-roll switches on our current guns.

Not to mention the problems defining which firearms are a copy of an actual machinegun.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:02:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Un NO, HELL NO!
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:06:37 PM EDT
[#21]
10,000-100,000-1,000,000 profit from selling guns is a VERY cheap price for your soul and your freedom (and your kid's freedom).  Hell no.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:31:01 PM EDT
[#22]
TOO LATE.  OHIO GUN LAW:

"Automatic firearm" is any firearm designed or specially adapted to fire a succession of cartridges with a single function of the trigger. "Automatic firearm" also means any semi-automatic firearm designed or specially adapted to fire more than thirty-one cartridges without reloading, other than a firearm chambering only .22 caliber short, long, or long-rifle cartridges.

This is from the state of ohio gun law section.

Feel free to read it yourself.

Beta mags, belt fed... it goes on and on.  I dont know of anyone who has been charged with breaking this law... but this law IS on the books.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top