Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2016 3:40:30 PM EDT
We've got plenty of bickering about Trump/Cruz here... this isn't what that's about.

One one hand we have a guy winning a plurality of votes in the primaries, but not really close to a majority. On the other, we have 2 guys losing to that guy. The guy winning seems to make a lot of claims of shenanigans, even though he's winning, and claims the establishment is working to screw the common republican voter.

Well, let's assume that's true... how would you change it to make it better? I mean, besides, "burn it down and start a real whatever party."

I was thinking at least part of it should be the way delegates are allotted. I mean, why would a "conservative" party allow states that haven't voted for a conservative in a general election in many cycles, or are states dominated by a majority democrat house/senate/governor/US representatives to have as many or more delegates than states that do actually vote conservative?It doesn't seem to have been working for them lately with the past milquetoast candidates we've gotten.

Anyway, that's one thought.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:44:15 PM EDT
Let the state organizations decide,  but the primaries and caucuses should be closed to members of the parties. None of this allowing registered Democrats, Independents, whatever, voting in the Republican primary or caucus and vice versa.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:44:45 PM EDT

Quoted:

We've got plenty of bickering about Trump/Cruz here... this isn't what that's about.

One one hand we have a guy winning a plurality of votes in the primaries, but not really close to a majority. On the other, we have 2 guys losing to that guy. The guy winning seems to make a lot of claims of shenanigans, even though he's winning, and claims the establishment is working to screw the common republican voter.

Well, let's assume that's true... how would you change it to make it better? I mean, besides, "burn it down and start a real whatever party."

I was thinking at least part of it should be the way delegates are allotted. I mean, why would a "conservative" party allow states that haven't voted for a conservative in a general election in many cycles, or are states dominated by a majority democrat house/senate/governor/US representatives to have as many or more delegates than states that do actually vote conservative?It doesn't seem to have been working for them lately with the past milquetoast candidates we've gotten.

View Quote

All states would have closed primary elections on the same day and all delegates would be proportional.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:45:43 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

All states would have closed primary elections on the same day and all delegates would be proportional.

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:47:06 PM EDT
Quoted:

View Quote

This. Or I get to pick for everybody.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:47:29 PM EDT

I wouldn't change just the nomination process but the entire voting process.

My new voting process would be solely based on policy. Voting would be done based on a questionnaire, and whichever candidate you agree with most, gets your vote.

Also, voting would be counted on a national level. No more delegates, no more electoral college. The candidate with the most "agreements" wins.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:48:59 PM EDT
Let the parties do whatever the hell they want, on their own damn dime.

Hold a national election in on the last Tuesday in September.  Popular vote only, whoever wants to be on the ballot (and can meet some pretty easy criteria) is on.

The top 3 vote-getters face off in the general election in November, using the traditional Electoral college system.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:50:41 PM EDT
Quoted:

View Quote

I agree on the closed primary. So the delegates would be proportional to what? State population or just X delegates per state?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:57:48 PM EDT
I'd get rid of those stupid caucuses
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:01:49 PM EDT
Eliminate conventions choosing delegates. Delegates should be chosen by the winning campaign after a primary or caucus.

States may choose winner take all/ proportional/ by congressional district as they do now - as long as they are either holding a primary or caucus.

Delegates are bound to the winner as long as the winning candidate is in play. One candidate is eliminated each round of voting and their delegates become free agents. For example, on the first ballot, you have..

Round 1 - all delegates bound; 1301 to win:
Washington - 900 delegates bound
Jefferson - 800 delegates bound
Lincoln - 600 delegates bound
Jackson - 300 delegates bound

Round 2  setup- Jackson eliminated
Lincoln - 600 delegates bound
Free agent - 300 delegates

Round 2 results
Washington - 1000 delegates
Jefferson - 850 delegates
Lincoln - 750 delegates

Round 3 setup - Lincoln eliminated
Free agent - 900 delegates

Round 3 results
Washington - 1500
Jefferson - 1100
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:03:30 PM EDT
Either have all the primaries and caucuses on the same day, or at least over two or three days.  Gives the parties less chances for their establishments to meddle and manipulate.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:04:06 PM EDT
Start by realizing the parties make their own rules. They are private organizations that are free to nominate candidates however the fuck they want. You don't like it, don't vote for the assholes.

Now that you understand that, throw out the fucking Republican party and replace it with a  party that is actually conservative and has a rational, simple, fair, transparent process for nominating it's candidate and make the process a closed process only for registered members of that party.

Problem solved.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:04:17 PM EDT
wild west dual tournament.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:04:46 PM EDT
Abolish parties.

Representatives are selected by voters based on their speeches, positions on issues, and campaign.  They go on to represent the people who put them there.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:06:15 PM EDT
Bound delegates in a closed primary system with scantron ballots.

I voted in the primary at the polling station I voted for in the general election, on county election equipment. Apparently, some primaries are by the parties and just handed out ballots like it's just some paper.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:07:10 PM EDT

Quoted:
I agree on the closed primary. So the delegates would be proportional to what? State population or just X delegates per state?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Aren't current delegates based on House/Senate seats? I am ashamed to admit I don't know. The candidates would be awarded a percentage of the number of delegates (whatever it is) based on their percentage of votes received in the primary election. If your percentage doesn't equal out to at least one delegate, tough.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:07:40 PM EDT
Delegates awarded proportionally.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:08:00 PM EDT
Quoted:
Start by realizing the parties make their own rules. They are private organizations that are free to nominate candidates however the fuck they want. You don't like it, don't vote for the assholes.

Now that you understand that, throw out the fucking Republican party and replace it with a  party that is actually conservative and has a rational, simple, fair, transparent process for nominating it's candidate and make the process a closed process only for registered members of that party.

Problem solved.
View Quote

You didn't follow the rules.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:08:02 PM EDT
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:12:44 PM EDT
Quoted:

Aren't current delegates based on House/Senate seats? I am ashamed to admit I don't know. The candidates would be awarded a percentage of the number of delegates (whatever it is) based on their percentage of votes received in the primary election. If your percentage doesn't equal out to at least one delegate, tough.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are assigned based on US representatives. They also give bonuses for states with republican elected officials/majorities, but it's a 1 delegate bonus usually.

My thing was why would we give a place like Washington or California or Maryland a proportional amount of delegates, when the parties there have proven they cannot pick candidates that will win any offices?

Here's a quick and dirty look... CLICK
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:46:13 PM EDT
Take the money and corruption out of the system...eliminate the parties completely, eliminate  donations  completely make it where the federal government runs a simple campaign system, they negotiate a deal with the media to put on  "debates" where all candidates compete for votes, do the debates once a week/month over the course of 6 months, along with a small magazine that has all of a candidates info in it and his positions on the country...then do all the state controlled votes on one day(weather a primary or caucus), top 3 or 4 candidates go on to a new debate series over the next 3 months, once again, let the voters vote thru the state controlled system, top guy is president......Make it to where even an average joe who has a great understanding of the countries issues has a chance to compete, versus our current system that allows the elite to pick who gets a shot and limiting us to candidates that they have control over....
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:36:09 PM EDT
Quoted:
Take the money and corruption out of the system...eliminate the parties completely, eliminate  donations  completely make it where the federal government runs a simple campaign system, they negotiate a deal with the media to put on  "debates" where all candidates compete for votes, do the debates once a week/month over the course of 6 months, along with a small magazine that has all of a candidates info in it and his positions on the country...then do all the state controlled votes on one day(weather a primary or caucus), top 3 or 4 candidates go on to a new debate series over the next 3 months, once again, let the voters vote thru the state controlled system, top guy is president......Make it to where even an average joe who has a great understanding of the countries issues has a chance to compete, versus our current system that allows the elite to pick who gets a shot and limiting us to candidates that they have control over....
View Quote

Interesting. But direct democracy? I dunno, man.
An error occurred on the server when processing the URL. Please contact the system administrator.

If you are the system administrator please click here to find out more about this error.