Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/28/2005 4:04:22 AM EDT
I don't know if the unregistered gun law is in effect yet but this would be ironic first prosecution under it.....

7Online News

NYC Cop In Trouble with the Law Himself
Allegedly Ripped Off Drug Dealers Around the Area
Eyewitness News

(Washington Heights - WABC, December 28, 2005) - An NYPD officer will be arraigned today after being busted with defaced guns, ski masks and a bulletproof vest -- and is being probed for possibly being in a ring ripping off drug dealers.
Eyewitness News has learned 30-year-old Donald Medard and three other men were caught with the guns, whose serial numbers were scraped off, in Washington Heights.

Authorities believe Medard and his crew may have been targeting neighborhood drug dealers.

In a bizarre twist, Internal Affairs Bureau investigators are now looking for help from dealers in the neighborhood dealers, who are asked to call the NYPD's tips line at (800) 577-TIPS to help in the probe. Authorities suspect Medard and his three accomplices were en route to hit a drug "stash house" in Washington Heights when they were pulled over.

Police say Medard, a two-year officer assigned to the 104th Precinct in Woodside, Queens, was suspended without pay. He was behind the wheel of his black SUV with tinted windows when 34th Precinct officers stopped him at the intersection of West 181st Street and Audubon Avenue just after 1:30 a.m. The SUV matched the description of a vehicle -- with tinted windows and Medard's license-plate number -- fleeing a reported assault in progress at West 180th Street and Audubon Avenue minutes earlier.

Officials tell Eyewitness News, Medard had his service weapon on him as he sat with the other friends in the SUV. The other men also had guns, and one pistol's serial number was defaced. No assault victim was found, but cops did spot suspicious items - the guns, four ski masks and at least one bulletproof vest - in the Tahoe.

Medard quickly said, "Hey, I'm on the job," and showed his department-issued Glock 9 mm pistol. By then, however, the 34th Precinct officers decided to arrest all four men. In addition to Medard, 20-year-old Claude Dorsica, of Long Island, and 22-year-old Michael Jacob, and 26-year-old Weldon Robinson, of Queens Village, were taken in for questioning. Medard was charged with defacing a firearm and has been suspended. He will be arraigned today. The civilians are all charged with criminal possession of a weapon.

Medard's wife - who had been frantically trying to reach him for more than 12 hours - told one newspaper he'd been under the influence of hip-hop. "I've been trying to call him since last night," Kimberly Medard told The Post as she broke down in tears. "It's him, he's been hanging out with these rappers. I don't know who these people are."

Kimberly tells Eyewitness News her husband joined the force in July 2003, after serving in the Army. He grew up in Haiti and came to Queens as a teen. The couple has two young children.

(Copyright 2005 WABC-TV)
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:06:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like an episode of the Shield
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:07:36 AM EDT
[#2]
This sounds like something straight out of "Training Day"

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:10:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Under the influence of Hip-Hop, that's a new one.

Ok,,ban Hip-Hop, do it for the children and the occasional, 30 year old, easily manipulated NYPD officer.

WTF, over?

Hell just ban Hip Hop in general.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:14:21 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Excellent idea!

Eric The(I'mWithYou)Hun
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:08:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Trying to ID yourself to a patrol officer by saying you're on the job and then flashing your gun
is a good way to get shot in the Three Four at 01:30 am.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:11:23 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Excellent idea!

Eric The(I'mWithYou)Hun

Yeah!!!!!!  And those darn Beatles' hair is way too long, too.  And Elvis' hips are moving too much.  Geez
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:13:08 AM EDT
[#7]
You forgot the disclaimer - "Just because we have one bad cop, this doesn't in any way demean the thousands of other good cops out there"
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:01:08 AM EDT
[#8]
LoL...

Guns don't kill people, Hip-Hop does.

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:07:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Medard's wife - who had been frantically trying to reach him for more than 12 hours - told one newspaper he'd been under the influence of hip-hop.

WTF  
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:10:21 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
This sounds like something straight out of "Training Day"

Are you a wolf or sheep?  AAAAOOOOOOWWWWLLLLL!
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:14:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Never mind NY's new gun law, it's a federal offense to alter or defile the s/n!  These guys are in trouble with the Fed's.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:31:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Fixed it for you . . .

Quoted:

NYC Cop In Trouble with the Law Himself

(Washington Heights - WABC, December 28, 2005) - An NYPD officer will be arraigned today after being busted with defaced guns, ski masks and a bulletproof vest -- and is being probed for possibly being in a ring ripping off drug dealers.

Eyewitness News has learned 30-year-old Donald Medard and three other men were caught with the guns, whose serial numbers were scraped off, in Washington Heights.

The array of weapons paled in comparison to that owned by noted AR15.com moderator Wave.  Wave was quoted as saying, "Only six guns?  That's not an arsenal!!!"

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:41:17 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Excellent idea!

Eric The(I'mWithYou)Hun

Yeah!!!!!!  And those darn Beatles' hair is way too long, too.  And Elvis' hips are moving too much.  Geez

And comparing 'hip-hop' to the Beatles or Elvis is...well, just weird as shiite.

Damn, I would hate to be your neighbor, for certain!

And I know you would hate to be mine!

Eric The(Classical)Hun
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:43:34 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Ok,,ban Hip-Hop, do it for the children and the occasional, 30 year old, easily manipulated NYPD officer.

WTF, over?

Hell just ban Hip Hop personal responsibility in general.  

I'm no fan of gangsta rap and its derivatives, but blaming hip-hop for this guy turning into a scumbag is like blaming guns for crime.

He's also THIRTY years old, folks.... not a kid, by any stretch of the imagination.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:44:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Blame it on the rappers.  Must of played some rap songs backwards, like them nuts that played Ozzy's songs backward before committing suicide.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:48:05 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Excellent idea!

Eric The(I'mWithYou)Hun

And comparing 'hip-hop' to the Beatles or Elvis is...well, just weird as shiite.

Damn, I would hate to be your neighbor, for certain!

And I know you would hate to be mine!

Eric The(Classical)Hun

With respect ETH, my fellow Master Mason, Solomon Lodge #20, F&AM, you have no idea who I am or what music I listen to or what kind of neighbor I am.  Musically I listen everything from Zeppelin to New Order to NIN to the Beatles to The Eagles to Black Eyed Peas to Molly Hatchet to Billie Holiday to The Cure to Bauhaus to Tool and everything in between.  And regarding my neighborly skills, lets's just say I came home from North GA visiting relatives this weekend to find 5 presents, both purchased and baked, for my family and myself.

I was just making a comment regarding the "blame the music" attitude when in reality the music is a result, not the cause, of poor behavior.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:54:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:56:11 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WTF, over?

Hell just ban Hip Hop personal responsibility in general.  

I'm no fan of gangsta rap and its derivatives, but blaming hip-hop for this guy turning into a scumbag is like blaming guns for crime.

He's also THIRTY years old, folks.... not a kid, by any stretch of the imagination.

Exactly, this is just another instance of someone not taking responsibility for their actions/inactions.....typical....

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:06:02 AM EDT
[#19]
So will this hurt his chances of becoming a Federal Agent?

oops, my bad

This is just the kind of cop the Feds want.

heLon Horiuchi
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:12:08 AM EDT
[#20]
When cops are outlaws from owning guns, only outlaws will be cops...(err, wha?)

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:42:55 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Trying to ID yourself to a patrol officer by saying you're on the job and then flashing your gun

Yeah. I was wondering if that's the official NYPD identification code. "Hey, officer! Look at my gun!"
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:59:06 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah. I was wondering if that's the official NYPD identification code. "Hey, officer! Look at my gun!"

He was likely high on cocaine at the time.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:07:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

With respect ETH, my fellow Master Mason, Solomon Lodge #20, F&AM, you have no idea who I am or what music I listen to or what kind of neighbor I am.

Sorry, my dear Brother from the East, but my post was made in jest...see the 'smiley'?

I only meant that anyone listening to that hip-hop shiite, with its nerve-shattering bass, is likely to make a horrible neighbor, indeed.

They make horrible drivers on our nation's streets, don't they? How many times have you heard that dull, vehicle-vibrating, bass beat while stopped in traffic? Mind-numbing and stomache-churning, for sure.

Something I have yet to experience when anyone is listening to 'Zeppelin to New Order to NIN to the Beatles to The Eagles to Black Eyed Peas to Molly Hatchet to Billie Holiday to The Cure to Bauhaus to Tool'.....  

And regarding my neighborly skills, lets's just say I came home from North GA visiting relatives this weekend to find 5 presents, both purchased and baked, for my family and myself.

Then I truly doubt that you listen to 'hip-hop' in your home, at all.

Right?

I was just making a comment regarding the "blame the music" attitude when in reality the music is a result, not the cause, of poor behavior.

I wasn't proposing the 'banning' of 'hip-hop' music because I believed that it caused criminality!

That would be utter nonsense.

(It's mostly listened to by middle-class white kids who wouldn't know a Glock from a cock)

I advocated it solely for aesthetic reasons.

Eric The(AlwaysThoughtfulOfOthers)Hun
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:40:24 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Medard's wife - who had been frantically trying to reach him for more than 12 hours - told one newspaper he'd been under the influence of hip-hop.

I'm under the influence of the British Invasion right now...I've got that damned song Michelle stuck in my head...
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 12:54:59 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Excellent idea!

Eric The(I'mWithYou)Hun

As with Mr. Hun's postings, I said this in poking fun.  I personally don't listen to hip-hop, but if other like it, that's thier thing.  

I found it just ridiculous that a 30 year old man, who is a New York City police officer, could be so easily swayed by music that is designed for kiddies half his age, and claim he's "addicted" to it.  How can being addicted to crappy (my opinion) music make someone commit crimes and forget thier oath to uphold the law.  Like others pointed out he is blaming something or someone else rather than taking responsibility for his own actions.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 1:27:22 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

With respect ETH, my fellow Master Mason, Solomon Lodge #20, F&AM. . . .

My great-grandfather was a member of Solomon Lodge. I often wondered when driving by if it were still active.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:18:41 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
You forgot the disclaimer - "Just because we have one bad cop, this doesn't in any way demean the thousands of other good cops out there"

Sorta like saying "Just because we have one bad gun owner, this doesn't in any way demean the thousands of other good gun owners out there"
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:25:39 PM EDT
[#28]
So, how many pages?
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:31:55 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Never mind NY's new gun law, it's a federal offense to alter or defile the s/n!  These guys are in trouble with the Fed's.

I doubt they will be charged with that...
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:21:43 PM EDT
[#30]
abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=local&id=3763960

NYC Cop's Case Becomes More Bizarre
Allegedly Ripped Off Drug Dealers In Washington Heights
WABC Eyewitness News

(Washington Heights - WABC, December 28, 2005) - It's a date in court for a New York City police officer. 30-year-old Donald Medard is facing weapons charges but police want to know if there's more to it than that.
Eyewitness News reporter Jeff Rossen is live in Lower Manhattan with more.

Officer Medard was in court earlier today. He's now charged with criminal possession of a weapon.

Now, prosecutors say there is more to this bizarre story. They have evidence that he was planning to shake down and rob drug dealers in Washington Heights. However, he's not been charged with that yet -- only charged with criminal possession of a weapon.

Officer Medard will be released on $10,000 bail if he can pay it.

Another bizarre twist, Internal Affairs Bureau investigators are now looking for help from dealers in the neighborhood dealers, who are asked to call the NYPD's tips line at (800) 577-TIPS to help in the probe.

Authorities suspect Medard and his three accomplices were en route to hit a drug "stash house" in Washington Heights when they were pulled over.

Police say Medard, a two-year officer assigned to the 104th Precinct in Woodside, Queens, was suspended without pay.

He was behind the wheel of his black SUV with tinted windows when 34th Precinct officers stopped him at the intersection of West 181st Street and Audubon Avenue just after 1:30 a.m.

The SUV matched the description of a vehicle -- with tinted windows and Medard's license-plate number -- fleeing a reported assault in progress at West 180th Street and Audubon Avenue minutes earlier.

Officials tell Eyewitness News, Medard had his service weapon on him as he sat with the other friends in the SUV. The other men also had guns, and one pistol's serial number was defaced.

No assault victim was found, but cops did spot suspicious items - the guns, four ski masks and at least one bulletproof vest - in the Tahoe.

Medard quickly said, "Hey, I'm on the job," and showed his department-issued Glock 9 mm pistol. By then, however, the 34th Precinct officers decided to arrest all four men.

In addition to Medard, 20-year-old Claude Dorsica, of Long Island, and 22-year-old Michael Jacob, and 26-year-old Weldon Robinson, of Queens Village, were taken in for questioning.

Medard was in court earlier today and is now charged with criminal possession of a weapon. The civilians are all charged with criminal possession of a weapon.

"I've been trying to call him since last night," Kimberly Medard told The Post as she broke down in tears. "It's him, he's been hanging out with these rappers. I don't know who these people are."

His wife tells Eyewitness News her husband joined the force in July 2003, after serving in the Army. He grew up in Haiti and came to Queens as a teen. The couple has two young children.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:39:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:37:01 AM EDT
[#32]
I wonder how he was charged with criminal possession of a weapon.   In New York State, the law reads that a police officer cannot be charged with that crime.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:10:18 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

That's true of many precincts, especially where high drug traffic exists, but that guy was no cop.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top