Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/5/2001 11:00:29 AM EDT
I currently live in Atlanta and have a CCW. I am possibly having to relocate back to NJ, and I am not sure what this will mean for my gun collection.

I have an HS2000, a pair of Taurus revolvers, a .22 pistol, a Ruger 10/22, a Remington 870, and an AR15(post-ban with 30 round mags)...

When I used to live in NJ it was a pain in the ass to buy stuff. I had to wait a YEAR to get the stupid permit so that I could legally buy a pellet gun.

Now I have bought these guns in GA over the past few years, and may have to move back. What problems am I likely to encounter in doing so? Obviously I will no longer be allowed to carry, but I also no longer have a NJ Firearms ID card, and I never had the pistol permit.

Will I have to sell my collection off and forget owning a gun? Can I simply move back and register them? Do I have to keep them out of state untill I get the appropriate permits and then transfer them back to me?

What the heck does a gun owner do when moving to a anti-gun state like NJ??

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 11:29:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 12:21:46 PM EDT
[#2]
is an AR15 post-ban legal in NJ?

I will get the FID if I have to, in fact, I don't even know if you need the stupid card to buy ammo in NJ...

When I lived there, I was not a gun owner, so I did not pay attention to it all that much.  Just before I left, I went through a ton of crap to get a permit so I could buy a Beeman air rifle, but by the time the permit came almost 12 months alter, I was already living in Georgia...

I am thinking of selling everything but my HS2000 and the AR15...
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 2:07:36 PM EDT
[#3]
FrankSquid has it exactly right.  In 1994, I moved into NJ from NY where I had a CCW and a variety of handguns & rifles.  Having heard & read the usual NJ stories, I called up the Lt in charge of the Firearms Division of the NJ State Police in Trenton.  I asked what I needed to do to dot all the I's & cross all the T's.  He said, and I quote "Just bring 'em on in."  I couldn't believe it.  But he's right.  If you've "legally acquire in another jurisdiction", you're good.

NJ Assault weapons: The Colt AR15 is banned by name.  Unless yours is quite old, I'll bet it doesn't say "AR15" on the receiver.  "Sporter" or "HBAR" or "Match Target" isn't "AR15" and so isn't banned.  We have DCM (CMP) matches in several parts of the state and AR's (clones, actually) are everywhere.  If you meet the basic federal post-ban requirements, you're ok in NJ.  Mags should be blocked to 15 rounds with a piece of wood lathe or some empty shells inside the floorplate to meet the letter of the law.  No one has EVER asked me about mag capacity.  No cops, not Fed's on the range next to me, not anyone.  I'd hate for you to be the first, though, so block 'em.

You will need a FPIC, Firearms Purchaser's Identification Card to buy ammo or long guns.  But that's generally no sweat, unless you get a real prick of a Chief of Police in your town.

Check out [url]www.nationalccw.com[/url] and hit the NJ links at the bottom of the page for NJ info.  The text of the NJ laws are searchable from a "judiciary" link on [url]www.state.nj.us[/url].

Enjoy, & welcome back to NJ.  Join the fight & vote for Schundler for govornor this November.

Norm
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 2:17:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Cool.  My gun is a post ban, and is just an Oly Arms Plinker.  I am guess that it will be ok, but my 30 round mags will either have to be blocked or I will just trade them for 15 rounders.  Same with my 18 round hicaps for my HS2000, I will just trade them in as well.

Thanks for the info guys.
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 2:52:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 6:12:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Sorry to hear your back in the Peoples Republic Of NJ. Two more years an I'll be in GA!
Block those mags. and good luck!
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 7:13:11 PM EDT
[#7]
A temporary block in the mags is simple and reversible and legal in NJ.  

What was that again, Frank?  Good advice.

Norm
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 9:36:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I will just stash the 30 rounders in my place, and not take them out till such time that maybe they become legal in that state, or I sell them to someone out of state.

I will just buy a bunch of cheap 10 or 15 rounders for range use.

But let's be honest, because of the stupid ass laws, there are not even many ranges where I can shoot regularly, and even buying ammo in that state requires a permit that has more paperwork and waiting period than getting a CCW in Georgia.

I hate NJ, but I don't have a choice.  I can stay in Georgia and become single, or I can go back to NJ and stay married.  :-(

Link Posted: 8/6/2001 5:50:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Where in Jersey are you heading to?  I know of several ranges in central/south that aren't bad.  

Norm
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 8:26:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Check out cjrpc.com. Good club.
Welcome back. Vote for Schundler!!!
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 9:32:51 AM EDT
[#11]
The mags are legal if blocked by wood or even empty casings.  Just about any post ban config rifle is legal.  Keep fighting for your rights in NJ.  There are alot of good people living under the occupation forces there.  Maybe you can be part of the liberation!
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 10:54:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Well, first make sure you get a permit for the rubber bands...  [:D]

Actually, you're all good if you bring stuff in.  (It's buying it there that's a b*tch.)  Just make sure that any magazine over 15 rounds is blocked to 15 rounds.

In other words, take your preban AR mags and put a wooden dowel inside.  That's it; no elding, pinning, etc.  Just take off the floorplate, drop in a wooden dowel, and put the floorplate back on.  If you leave, just take the dowel back out.

Simple!

Mike
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 1:24:24 PM EDT
[#13]
I will be living somewhere in the west central area, like Warren, Hunterdon, Somerset county...

When you say blocking the mags with empty sheels, you mean just inserting empty shells in so that they full up the first 15 spots?  Or do you mean taking it apart and rigging it from the inside?

BTW, I traded in almost all of my guns today.

I traded in the stuff, got a new CZ75B, and put the rest of the money in the bank.  I now just have the CZ and the AR15, two of the best combat weapons in the world, right?

I mean, I have always considered the CZ75 to be right up there with the 1911 and BHP, although I do prefer the 1911...

So, in those areas, where are good ranges to shoot?  Any outdoor ranges where I can excercize the AR15?
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 6:12:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I will be living somewhere in the west central area, like Warren, Hunterdon, Somerset county...

BTW, I traded in almost all of my guns today.
I traded in the stuff, got a new CZ75B, and put the rest of the money in the bank.  I now just have the CZ and the AR15, two of the best combat weapons in the world, right?

So, in those areas, where are good ranges to shoot?  Any outdoor ranges where I can excercize the AR15?
View Quote

Cant help ya on that area. Might want to go to  Coalition of New Jersey Sportsman's page to do a search. Or just an internet search.

Too bad you sold all the hardware.[V]

That area is pretty open. Might want to get to know some farmers. Theyre real happy to get rid of woodchucks etc.[;)]
Eric
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top