Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/14/2002 8:08:10 PM EDT
I know this will bring flame after flame but I just have to ask.

Let me give you guys the back ground first.
About a year ago I was in a very bad reck,I only got a small cut on my head and that was it but thing od has happened.

I don't have flash-backs or anything but now if I see a TV show like"life in the ER" on TLC or something like that I get alittel sick.
This was never the case before and would not even be a big deal if it was not for the new line of work I will soon go in to.

I guess the big deal right now is,and some of you may thing this is funny but today there was a reck about two blocks from my house and the women in the back seat was in bad shape.
A off duty EMT stopped and told me I needed to help him move her so he could open up her air way untill the others got there.

I did not think I would be able to do it and 6 hrs. later I'm still sick.

Is there anything you can do to teach your self not to do that?
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 8:13:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 8:13:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Did the "reck" affect your ability to spell?[:)]

I'd suggest possibly hypnosis?  (Seriously.)
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 8:14:36 PM EDT
[#3]
In my opinion that may have no basis in fact, what helps such things may be just facing your fear, which looks like a fear of all things medical.

Like taking a person who fears guns to the range, maybe you should take a First Aid or EMT course?

Somebody else probably has a better idea.
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 8:15:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 8:16:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 5:14:24 AM EDT
[#6]
I've got a somewhat similar problem.

Blood and guts don't bother me, whether it's mine or somebody else's. I've had bad cuts, stuff stabbed in me that I actually watched the Dr. cut out after some local anesthesia. I've had a surgery where they left the wound open to heal up by itself and I had to push gauze into the hole with a q-tip for a month everyday. I can bleed all over the place and it doesn't bother me.

However, I can't stand to have blood taken into a vial. I don't care about needles, or shots, or IVs, I've just never liked having blood taken.

At work, besides my normal job, I'm also a HAZMAT technician. I have physicals every year which include all kinds of blood sampling. About three years ago the nurse was taking my blood and everything went fine. 10 minutes later while I was waiting to have a chest x-ray done I pulled the bandaid off of my inner elbow and there was a knot the size of a marble where she had taken blood. She had torn the artery and over the next couple of days my whole forearm turned black and blue. This just turned me off a little more to having blood taken.

Two years ago when I went in again for the same thing I joked with the nurse to not turn my arm black like the one did last year. She assured me that she wouldn't. Turns out that she sucked even worse. My veins are pretty visable and she proceeded to stick the needle in my are and started prodding around trying to get it into the vein. It seemed like 10 minutes before she got it in and by this time I was sweating, had the chills and was very light headed to the point where I thought I was about to pass out. I actually sat in the chair for about 5 minutes before I thought it was safe for me to just stand up!

Here I am a 6'2" 250lb guy about to pass out over giving a couple of little vials of blood. I was thoroughly embarrassed. And ever since I've gotten the same feeling though I try to play it off a little better. I've been knocked out several times, but I've never felt like I was going to pass out except for these occasions.

If anybody calls me a wussy, I'll whip your ass. [;)]
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 6:02:29 AM EDT
[#7]
That kind of reaction is perfectly normal.
In my 15 years in the Army, I've seen a lot of minor injuries, several serious ones, and a few deaths.  There are still scenes that make me reflect a little too deeply on the worst ones, and I have to shake myself out of it.

Several years ago I saw an interview with an amateur diver who was run over by a pleasure boat who ignored the dive flags.  Both the divers legs were severed (permanently).  As he sat on the stage, and told the story of what happened to him several years prior, his eyes suddenly rolled back into this head and he let out a brief but severe shiver.  Then he came back to reality.  This is common for people who've been in tramatic situations and is a smaller part of Post Traumatic Stress disorder.  In time you'll be able to deal with it without the physical effects.
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 6:10:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Hang out at a trauma center ER for 3 days with no sleep. That'll do it. 'course staff may think it a little strange.....
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 8:39:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Blood and guts don't bother me, whether it's mine or somebody else's. I've had bad cuts, stuff stabbed in me that I actually watched the Dr. cut out after some local anesthesia. I've had a surgery where they left the wound open to heal up by itself and I had to push gauze into the hole with a q-tip for a month everyday. I can bleed all over the place and it doesn't bother me.

However, I can't stand to have blood taken into a vial. I don't care about needles, or shots, or IVs, I've just never liked having blood taken.

At work, besides my normal job, I'm also a HAZMAT technician. I have physicals every year which include all kinds of blood sampling. About three years ago the nurse was taking my blood and everything went fine. 10 minutes later while I was waiting to have a chest x-ray done I pulled the bandaid off of my inner elbow and there was a knot the size of a marble where she had taken blood. She had torn the artery and over the next couple of days my whole forearm turned black and blue. This just turned me off a little more to having blood taken.

Two years ago when I went in again for the same thing I joked with the nurse to not turn my arm black like the one did last year. She assured me that she wouldn't. Turns out that she sucked even worse. My veins are pretty visable and she proceeded to stick the needle in my are and started prodding around trying to get it into the vein. It seemed like 10 minutes before she got it in and by this time I was sweating, had the chills and was very light headed to the point where I thought I was about to pass out. I actually sat in the chair for about 5 minutes before I thought it was safe for me to just stand up!

Here I am a 6'2" 250lb guy about to pass out over giving a couple of little vials of blood. I was thoroughly embarrassed. And ever since I've gotten the same feeling though I try to play it off a little better. I've been knocked out several times, but I've never felt like I was going to pass out except for these occasions.

View Quote

Wussy,Wussy,Wussy, how are you gonna kick some bodys ass?  All we gotta do is carry a vial of blood with us,and it will be like Kryptonite to ya!

Bob  [:D]
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 9:16:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I know this will bring flame after flame but I just have to ask.

Let me give you guys the back ground first.
About a year ago I was in a very bad reck,I only got a small cut on my head and that was it but thing od has happened.

I don't have flash-backs or anything but now if I see a TV show like"life in the ER" on TLC or something like that I get alittel sick.
This was never the case before and would not even be a big deal if it was not for the new line of work I will soon go in to.

I guess the big deal right now is,and some of you may thing this is funny but today there was a reck about two blocks from my house and the women in the back seat was in bad shape.
A off duty EMT stopped and told me I needed to help him move her so he could open up her air way untill the others got there.

I did not think I would be able to do it and 6 hrs. later I'm still sick.

Is there anything you can do to teach your self not to do that?
View Quote

First, I think it would have affected alot of us.

Second, if you want to get flamed, you're going to have to do better than that. [;)]

Something I've read guys with battle wounds will do to reduce shock is to avoid looking at the injury. It seems to cause a reaction.

Are you dwelling on it? Might be a good time to jump in the car, crank up the stereo and pay that mountain nearby a visit. Or a movie? You've been meaning to call family now, haven't you?
Give your brain something else to process for a while.
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 9:58:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks guys,I just don't want anybody to pay a price cuz I can't hack it.

Axel,I live in Fl. there are no Mts. will a lake or river or some mud work?[:D]
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 8:06:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Thanks guys,I just don't want anybody to pay a price cuz I can't hack it.

Axel,I live in Fl. there are no Mts. will a lake or river or some mud work?[:D]
View Quote

Where in Florida?
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 9:55:41 AM EDT
[#13]
buck_nay_kid,.

My suggestion is an easy one for one such as yourself assuming you live up to your user name.

Drive to the location where your accident occurred, pull to the side of the road and get out and get buck naked. Next run around dodging on coming traffic until you either hear sirens or see law enforcement responding. Next run and jump into your vehicle and drive home.

If this doesn’t work let me know and I’m sure I can come up with another suggestion.

THISISME
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 10:49:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Just proves your a human being.
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 7:17:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Drive to the location where your accident occurred, pull to the side of the road and get out and get buck naked. Next run around dodging on coming traffic until you either hear sirens or see law enforcement responding. Next run and jump into your vehicle and drive home.

View Quote

Again?

SteyrAUG,I live in Lakeland
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 9:01:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 9:22:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

wussy [:P]  *carrys one of the many bloodvials hes had taken throught out his life*

ive had that my blood taken for so long it doesnt bother me at all, i dislike getting stuck with a needle, just dont like that sudden spike of pain.. but ohwell. only hurts for a second then aches a few more. after that its over.  you could always check out somthingrotten.com  that could get you used to it enough to be able to HIDE the effect it has on you.
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 3:18:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Wussy,Wussy,Wussy, how are you gonna kick some bodys ass?  All we gotta do is carry a vial of blood with us,and it will be like Kryptonite to ya!

Bob  [:D]
View Quote

A vial of blood won't bother me, even if it was mine. It's the process of having it taken that I can't stand.

Please email me your home address so that I can come by and kick your ass this weekend. Thanks.

[;)]
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 3:20:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

wussy [:P]  *carrys one of the many bloodvials hes had taken throught out his life*

ive had that my blood taken for so long it doesnt bother me at all, i dislike getting stuck with a needle, just dont like that sudden spike of pain.. but ohwell. only hurts for a second then aches a few more. after that its over.  you could always check out somthingrotten.com  that could get you used to it enough to be able to HIDE the effect it has on you.
View Quote

Looking at gross stuff doesn't bother me. Seeing bloody injuries to myself doesn't bother me. Only my blood pumping out of my arm into a little vial bothers me.

Please email me your home address as well, though since you're a little farther I might not make it by this weekend.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top