Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/26/2012 1:53:48 PM EDT
We got a new Maytag front loading washer.  Got good reviews, other than a common and ominus 'It walks'.

Well, we did a test load in it.  Nice and quiet, till the spin cycle!  Sounded and felt like a helicopter was hovering over the house.  Go out in the garage, and see that it has walked a good 3 feet from the wall, held basically only by the braided stainless steel water hoses!

Garage has a bare concrete floor.  I'm thinking I can put down a thick rubber mat, will that help?
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 8:19:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Level the machine and balance the load.

If that doesn't work, cut it's legs off.
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 10:34:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Rubber mat will help but you should make sure its level first.  Also watch how you load it, even a leveled washer with a heavy load can start wanting to walk.  If you dont want to cut the legs then maybe a good stiff whack with a bat will teach it a lesson.
Link Posted: 6/27/2012 2:38:19 AM EDT
[#3]
I had it level.  But, the garage floor does slope away slightly for the drain.  Hrmmmmm....we'll try another load to see if it was a balance issue.
Link Posted: 6/27/2012 3:20:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I had it level.  But, the garage floor does slope away slightly for the drain.  Hrmmmmm....we'll try another load to see if it was a balance issue.

Did you remove the drum bolts in the back?  

They use ~3" long bolts to hold the drum stationary during travel.  You're supposed to remove them prior to using the machine.  The instructions aren't usually clear about this.

The bolts are located on the back of the machine.

If you've already removed the packing bolts, you'll need to level the machine as mentioned above.
Link Posted: 6/27/2012 3:57:28 AM EDT
[#5]
I had the same problem at a rental.  Ended up buying a "stall mat" from Tractor Supply. Very heavy, and stopped the renter from bitchin.  I've heard you can also use swimming " noodles" to wedge the washer/dryer in place.  Mike.
Link Posted: 6/27/2012 4:03:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Hobble that fucker.  

Remember that Stephen King movie, Misery?
Link Posted: 6/27/2012 8:03:02 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a Maytag front loader on slick porcelain tile.  It hasn't moved even a fraction of an inch.  Something is not right with yours.

Those units should sense an off balance load and do a stop, reverse, jog sequence to balance it out.  It is pretty effective.  You may have a sensor or controller issue.

My dryer is stacked on top too, but I doubt that makes much of a difference.
Link Posted: 6/27/2012 10:08:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have a Maytag front loader on slick porcelain tile.  It hasn't moved even a fraction of an inch.  Something is not right with yours.
Those units should sense an off balance load and do a stop, reverse, jog sequence to balance it out.  It is pretty effective.  You may have a sensor or controller issue.

My dryer is stacked on top too, but I doubt that makes much of a difference.

If he installed this himself, I'm betting good money that he didn't remove the drum bolts from the back of the machine.

I know, I did the same thing.  The SOB will try to walk up the wall if you don't remove these bolts before using it.

They're fairly long bolts, 3"+, and sometimes seperated from the back sheetmetal by a plastic "doohickey".
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 1:08:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, bolts are out.

I put a piece of folded carpet under it.  Stopped it from walking around the garage.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top