Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/28/2001 7:16:52 PM EDT
anyone ever heard of this?
those of you who were LEO, really now, does it work?  from what ive read polygraphs arent really "lie detectors" persay, more like a measure of how you react.

truth?  is there really a reliable way to get by a polygraph?
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 7:25:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 6:53:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 7:06:50 AM EDT
[#3]
All you have to do is train yourself to control your pulse rate and Galvanic Skin Response (GSR) at will, and that means simply controlling your level of excitation and perspiration.

In an undergraduate psysiologocal psychology class I trained myself to defeat a polygraph almost 100% of the time.  It really wasn't very difficult (for me, at least).
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 7:07:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:...I'll be like Harrison Ford is Blade Runner - hooking students up to machines and playing mind games with them.  MUWHAHAHAHAHA!  [:D]
View Quote

Tell me about your mother.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 7:26:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Try asking an actor how to do it.  They lie on camera all the time, plus everyone I know from Hollywood is full of shit.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 7:40:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I only know this because I am looking into measure stuff like this as part of my ongoing research.  Pupil diameter is another thing that can be measured that is a good proxy for things like arousal and cognitive load.  ... Soon, I'll be like Harrison Ford is Blade Runner - hooking students up to machines and playing mind games with them.  MUWHAHAHAHAHA!  [:D]
View Quote

WARNING!  MAD SCIENTIST![IMG]http://www.theunholytrinity.org/cracks_smileys/contrib/aahmed/biggrin.gif[/IMG]
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 7:44:20 AM EDT
[#7]
It's childishly easy to fool a polygraph...all you have to do is be calm.  Spend some time before the test meditating and calming yourself down, rehearsing the answers you will give to questions they will likely ask.  Then just control your breathing and heart rate.  I was in the job market before they stopped giving polygraph tests for every little job, and I must have taken a half dozen of them.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 7:50:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Wear 2 pairs of socks,put a thumbtack between the 2,in a place that lets you walk w/it,but when you press down trying to,you get 'poked'.Poke yourself for every question, thereby a consistant reading........[;)]just a thought.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 8:19:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 8:56:37 AM EDT
[#10]
any LEO's out there or people that run these things that have any comments about them?
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 9:15:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Valium.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 9:18:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Valium.
View Quote

What if they do the whiz quiz and the polygraph the same day?
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 9:18:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
anyone ever heard of this?
those of you who were LEO, really now, does it work?  from what ive read polygraphs arent really "lie detectors" persay, more like a measure of how you react.

truth?  is there really a reliable way to get by a polygraph?
View Quote

Yes. I have two friends that were involved in a bad situation. After doing thier time the had to submit to on going ploygraph exams. They read a self help book and beat the polygraphs everytime.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 9:19:31 AM EDT
[#14]
what about speed? you could have a maxed out heart/breath rate, sweating and dilated pupils the whole time, they wouldn't get any reading?
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 9:56:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
what about speed? you could have a maxed out heart/breath rate, sweating and dilated pupils the whole time, they wouldn't get any reading?
View Quote

HAHA a Orgasmo reference
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 10:56:18 AM EDT
[#16]
I would have to agree.. A shit load of Xanax.. gets in your system faster and more intense than valium.

Adjust dosage according to bodywieght and possible pison time if convicted.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 10:56:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Xanax and Inderal will beat it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 11:36:49 AM EDT
[#18]
I guess that explains why they scheduled my polygraph and drug test for the same day.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 1:35:44 PM EDT
[#19]
[b]Wear 2 pairs of socks,put a thumbtack between the 2,in a place that lets you walk w/it,but when you press down trying to,you get 'poked'.Poke yourself for every question, thereby a consistant reading........just a thought[/b]

my uncle was in PD then the DEA for a long time before he died. he told me the exact same thing. also he said that the machine operator would ask him:
"Ok Brad, how do you want this one to go?"
meaning to you want him to be guilty or innocent. my uncle had all kinds of neet little stories like that. one hell of a guy. thanks
DB
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 1:59:46 PM EDT
[#20]
This discusses the polygraph in depth:
[url]www.fas.org/sgp/othergov/polygraph/ota/index.html[/url]
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 5:47:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Yes. I have two friends that were involved in a bad situation. After doing thier time the had to submit to on going ploygraph exams. They read a self help book and beat the polygraphs everytime.
View Quote

This one?

[img]http://www.deltaforce.com/catalog/media/C-175_Beat_The_Box.jpg[/img]

http://[url]http://www.deltapress.com[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top