User Panel

Posted: 9/25/2005 6:43:37 AM EDT
How can I do this? I have no idea.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:08:19 AM EDT
[#1]
2 computers
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:34:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Two network cards, one set to a private subnet, and one public.

Not recommended in a highly secure environment, but to keep your home business data relatively secure, it will work.  Of course security isn't even a concern for LAN gaming.

You could also assign two IP addresses to the same computer, but this would require a router capable of configuration to support it, and most cheapos won't cooperate.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:42:03 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
2 computers

oh no buddy, I am  smarter than that.

Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:53:22 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Two network cards, one set to a private subnet, and one public.

Not recommended in a highly secure environment, but to keep your home business data relatively secure, it will work.  Of course security isn't even a concern for LAN gaming.

You could also assign two IP addresses to the same computer, but this would require a router capable of configuration to support it, and most cheapos won't cooperate.

I am deployed to Iraq so security is nill, this is my personal comp. One line is my hagi net so let me see if I can get this right.

Could I just get my own router and run the two lines into that and then do the above?
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:56:00 AM EDT
[#5]
If the problem is with not wanting games to "phone home" when LAN gaming, just use netstat to watch the ports that connect when you run the game, and then set your router to block those ports.

I have learned that some routers work better for this than others.  For some reason, some routers will make the port unreachable, while others just never send the data, requiring a long pause for the game to timeout on the connection.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:56:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Isnt this why there are ROUTERS?  (wired and wire-less)

ETA:  nevermind, i'm too slow
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:59:47 AM EDT
[#7]
If I understand correctly, a few of you want to network to play online games, but still want net access.  A router will perform this task with almost no configuration necessary.

Just buy a router, and plug your internet access cable into the WAN port, then plug your machines into the LAN ports.  And you will be able to play local games with each other while still seeing the internet.  You can even play internet games together.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top