Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 12/26/2001 9:02:51 PM EST
As soon as I turn 21, I want to get a FFL license. From what I understand, its kinda hard but worth it. If anyone could give me any tips on how to go about getting one, I would be appreciative. Thaks Keving67
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 9:11:37 PM EST
Do a search. There should be a thread about this subject.
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 9:25:23 PM EST
I hope someone can correct me on this, but I've heard that you now have to legally list a place of business that is independent of your residence. IOW, your home isn't considered a legitimate business location for conducting firearms transactions. This was probably intentionally designed to reduce the number of private FFL's being held. Like I said, I would hope that someone would correct me on this. I'd love to be wrong on this one.
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 9:59:19 PM EST
You asked for it, Ok your wrong. The only requirement is that you comply with local zoning laws. If your house has no zoing laws against home based business you are in. I think it is the stocking store front owners who spread this crap so you won't be able to order guns and sell them without thier overhead costs.
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 11:07:32 PM EST
I would check with Gunsmoke, as he is operating not only as an FFL, but as a Type 07 FFL/Class 02 Manufacturer out of his home in Okeechobee. It kinda suprised me when I went over there to pick up a lower receiver that the ATF would let a guy manufacture Machine Guns in his converted living room.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 5:15:19 AM EST
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 7:38:12 AM EST
[b]If your only FFL activity is buying stuff for yourself and a couple of buddies it's unlikely to be renewed[/b] Do I have to plead to the police officer everytime I need it renewed? Right now, the closest FFL that advertises is about 30 miles away and alot of people in my community buy guns off the internet and make an afternoon out of going and picking them up. I would also like it for own tansfers too.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 8:22:42 AM EST
It's possible to get one but you will be jumping through many hoops to get it. I've seen the paperwork and you have to draw maps of every alley, streetlight, neighboring houses, access roads that surround your place! It gets quite anal!! Sounds like a challenge maybe I'll go after one!!!! [sniper]
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 10:53:18 AM EST
I'm also an 07/C2 out of my residence. A storefront is not required as long as your business complies with local zoning. CLEO does not have to APPROVE your FFL - he gets the courtesy copy, although if he were to object to the ATF about your business, it would certainly hold things up. So while tacit approval or non-interference by the CLEO is required, a signature is not. Renewals do not require CLEO signature, either. You must comply with all local and state business laws - to include licenses and sales tax licenses, if required. I didn't have to draw out maps of my location, and getting the license involved very little hassle, and only one site visit from the ATF. Getting a zoning variance to conduct business from my residence took quite a lot of hoop-jumping with the city land use department, though.
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 5:57:35 AM EST
Top Top