Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2005 7:49:52 AM EDT
From a deployed Marine:

"all i know is they need to invent a air conditioner for the flack jacket and kevlars"

What can I send to him to make him more comfortable? I'm putting together a care package and need recommendations. Links to specific products would be great!

Thanks!

ETA:  I also posted this in the Deployed forum, but there's not as much traffic there.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:05:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:13:40 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Under Armour shirts and boxer-briefs

Great, thanks for the info Jarhead.  Long-sleeve or shortsleeve on the shirt?  Have you tried any of the "generic" underarmor knockoffs?

Gold Bond green-bottle powder

What are the specific uses for the powder?
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:18:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:18:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:20:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Also, add some "Boudreaux's Butt Paste".  (seriously.) It's a zinc oxide cream and it works wonders for diaper rash and, more importantly, prickly heat.  It's got more zinc oxide than any other I have found, including A+D.

Dawg
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:23:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:23:58 AM EDT
[#7]

"What can I send to him to make him more comfortable?"

Send him transfer papers to the air force.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:24:31 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Great, thanks for the info Jarhead.  Long-sleeve or shortsleeve on the shirt?  Have you tried any of the "generic" underarmor knockoffs?

I wore the short sleeved ones and they worked well. I haven't tried any of the generic ones.

OK.  Is there anything to keep a guy's head cool under the k-pot?
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:28:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:31:57 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Brigade Quartermaster has something that you soak with water and put inside the helmet. Also, Oregon Aero makes a great kpot suspension system that's supposed to be lightyears ahead of the standard system as far as comfort.

A wet cotton do-rag will do wonders under a Kpot.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:44:43 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

"all i know is they need to invent a air conditioner for the flack jacket and kevlars"

If you could do this, you'd be rich off the military contract as well as thousands of LEO's around the world who hate wearing their vests when it's hot outside.

This equipment is already available - after work tonight I will try to find ithe nfo.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:45:18 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Brigade Quartermaster has something that you soak with water and put inside the helmet. Also, Oregon Aero makes a great kpot suspension system that's supposed to be lightyears ahead of the standard system as far as comfort.

Anybody tried one of these?

www.actiongear.com/cgi-bin/tame.exe/agcatalog/level4c.tam?xax=15505&pagenumber%2Eptx=1&M5%2Ectx=27341&M5COPY%2Ectx=27341&gotohttp=http
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:49:53 AM EDT
[#13]
I live in NM this summer I tried some UA knock-offs and I always came back to UnderArmour
should be close to the same product but the orginal is still the best.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:51:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Nuke the bastards so we can improve "global warming", melt the polar ice caps and cool this shit down.  Just being a smart ass....
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:53:43 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Anybody tried one of these?

www.actiongear.com/cgi-bin/tame.exe/agcatalog/level4c.tam?xax=15505&pagenumber%2Eptx=1&M5%2Ectx=27341&M5COPY%2Ectx=27341&gotohttp=http

Yes, and they work pretty well assuming you have ice water in which to put them in before use...They'll keep your noggin cool for several hours...They were available at the PX (Camp Fallujah) when I was there..
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:15:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Cool suits.  
Used by suit guys or the actors in heavy full body suits in film.  I worked on the older stuff about ten years ago in LA.  Those who wear the heavy full body suits need to be kept cool under the lights or they pass out.

They are also used by some race car drivers, I believe.  They circulate propylene(sp) glycol through the suit, which consists of a vest like garment heat die pressed with many continuous channels that the glycol runs through.  The hitch will be that a small pump and chiller is needed to transpire the heat out of the warmed glycol once it comes back from the wearer.

These are big enough to make it unusable for the foot soldier, today, but not impractical for anyone to plug into it in a himvee or tank or troop carrier that can have the system built into the vehicle.

They are probably already working on it I am sure.

Kentlik TPD
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:21:24 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Cool suits.  
Used by suit guys or the actors in heavy full body suits in film.  I worked on the older stuff about ten years ago in LA.  Those who wear the heavy full body suits need to be kept cool under the lights or they pass out.

They are also used by some race car drivers, I believe.  They circulate propylene(sp) glycol through the suit, which consists of a vest like garment heat die pressed with many continuous channels that the glycol runs through.  The hitch will be that a small pump and chiller is needed to transpire the heat out of the warmed glycol once it comes back from the wearer.

These are big enough to make it unusable for the foot soldier, today, but not impractical for anyone to plug into it in a himvee or tank or troop carrier that can have the system built into the vehicle.

They are probably already working on it I am sure.

Kentlik TPD

They're adding them to Chinooks for the crew. It's called the Air Warrior System.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:43:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Go with the name brand as far as underarmor shirts.  They rock, and the other brands I have tried do not.  I like both the loosegear and the heatgear.  FWIW I tried the boxer briefs and disliked them.

Send him some baby wipes, unscented.  Great for wiping off sand and sweat and grit.  The refill packs with the ziplock tops are better than the dispensers, IMHO.  

I'm still searching for the perfect boot sock for lengthy wear in the burning heat.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:50:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Damn...that system would be awesome for me as a gunner....rarely dismount even if the rest of the truck does.

John
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:54:24 AM EDT
[#20]
MISTER!!!!

get him a little pump mister, we used them to keep cool and by the end almost everyone had one attached to thier flack.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:54:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 10:02:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 10:24:25 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
MISTER!!!!

get him a little pump mister, we used them to keep cool and by the end almost everyone had one attached to thier flack.

Eh?  Can you post a link please?
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 10:38:06 AM EDT
[#24]
I always wanted to drill some vent holes in the top of my Kevlar.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 10:38:59 AM EDT
[#25]
I work in a Factory with NO a/c, where in the summer time temps climb way above 115 degrees so I can tell you this much

1. Keep your neck cool, get a wet towel and keep it around your neck.

2. Get one of these from Brigade Quartermaster, it will be the best $50.00 you can spend

www.actiongear.com/cgi-bin/tame.exe/agcatalog/level4s.tam?xax=29394&M5COPY%2Ectx=26402&M5%2Ectx=3599&M2%5FDESC%2Ectx=Tactical%20Protective%20Gear&level3%2Ectx=results%2Etam&query%2Ectx=cooling%20vest&backto=%2Fagcatalog%2Fresults%2Etam  

Edited to add

Brigade also sells neck  artic bandanas, looks like they have them in ACU, DCU and MARPAT

The Arctic Cool™ Kool-Off neck cooling product is designed to reduce core body temperatures fast, thus helping to prevent heat stress at work and recreation. The bandana tube contains safe, water absorbing polymer crystals to give hours of cooling relief from hot temperatures. Just soak the KOOL OFF item in water for about twenty minutes. Through evaporation and air circulation it will stay cool for hours. It helps cool the neck and major artery blood flow, which keeps you more comfortable.

We tried some of these where I work a few years ago, and they worked great, except the company did not want to invest any $$$$ in their machine operators  
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 11:01:23 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Get one of these from Brigade Quartermaster, it will be the best $50.00 you can spend

www.actiongear.com/agcatalog/picsxl/thv106_VestOnly.jpg

www.actiongear.com/cgi-bin/tame.exe/agcatalog/level4s.tam?xax=29394&M5COPY%2Ectx=26402&M5%2Ectx=3599&M2%5FDESC%2Ectx=Tactical%20Protective%20Gear&level3%2Ectx=results%2Etam&query%2Ectx=cooling%20vest&backto=%2Fagcatalog%2Fresults%2Etam  

OK, I'm gonna order one of these for him.  Question:  how do I size it?  He wears a M t-shirt.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 1:43:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 1:53:06 PM EDT
[#28]
What our troops really need are ice buckets full of beer. Unfortunately, the mid-East is one giant dry county.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:21:16 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Also, add some "Boudreaux's Butt Paste".  (seriously.) It's a zinc oxide cream and it works wonders for diaper rash and, more importantly, prickly heat.  It's got more zinc oxide than any other I have found, including A+D.

Dawg

+10  on that Butt Paste  I use Flanders Buttocks Ointment!!!

Takes care of that jock itch(sac-rash)!!

Bob
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 7:50:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Tag for next care package construction.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top