Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2009 11:58:45 PM EDT
My sister has a 92 4runner that is barely below the legal smog limit. how can i get this thing to pass? im going to change the oil, add some feul system cleaner and maybe the air filter. what else can i do short of rebuilding the engine?
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 3:16:11 AM EDT
So long as it passes with what you mentioned, I wouldn't do anything else.  If it fails again, post the numbers.  An oxygen sensor would be a good guess, and chances are the catalyst may be dead also.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 4:40:48 AM EDT
god im glad we dont have smog testing in MT.

all of those would be a great start to help clean up the system. you could also clean the mass air flow sensor with some approved cleaner.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 5:01:30 AM EDT
Use the highest octane gas you can get for the test.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 8:58:09 AM EDT
As long as it does pass I wouldn't spend any money on it.  If it fails, then check to make sure everything is hooked up properly and functioning - a factory service manual will be your best friend.  How's the compression and/or leak down test?  I doubt the engine is worn out and needs rebuilding - something may be broken but that's a diffent issue.  The cat converter is probably toast after 17 years - I bought a bolt in replacement cat for my '85 Toyota p/u from Summit for ~$110.

Brian
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 11:13:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/1/2009 11:17:00 AM EDT by trwoprod]
Make sure that you have run the fuel system cleaner out of the system fully before the test –– run the tank almost dry and then run it 1/4 down with premium.  Using a good intake cleaner (throttle body cleaner, for instance) would be good too.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 2:07:29 PM EDT
i bought a can of seafoam. would this work? and if i use it should i use it in the gas tank or the crankcase?
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 2:21:40 PM EDT
Originally Posted By sirbordsalot311:
i bought a can of seafoam. would this work? and if i use it should i use it in the gas tank or the crankcase?

sea foam is great, but if you have heavy build up, it can and has before knocked a chunk loose and got it stuck somewhere not good
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 2:25:49 PM EDT
back another car up to your car and put probe in its pipe usually at the end of the day and some cash falling out of your pocket.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 2:32:56 PM EDT
I remember some kind of carb adjustments and fuel system adjustments that would allow the system to run richer/leaner and having to adjust them a couple times to get them to pass, back when I still lived in Cali.

Any smog technician should be able to help you find out what to do.  It kills your gas mileage, but you can switch it back after you pass the smog.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 2:51:27 PM EDT
IM or e mail me the numbers, I'll be glad to look at what is wrong, also be as detailed as possible about the Four Runner including area of CA she lives in. I've had a CA smog licence since 1972, my last licence just lapsed last year.
Top Top