Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2002 6:59:57 PM EDT
I recently bought a butterfly knife from an army / navy store and have been messing around with it trying to find the correct way to open it.  You all have seen the way people in the movies open them, its like a blur so I can't see how they do it!  Any help would be nice.
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 7:03:05 PM EDT
[#1]
[img]http://www.balisongxtreme.com/baliplanet2/beginners/horiz-basic/horiz-basic.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 7:03:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I could show you in person.Wait I'm in Illinois and there illegal here..Therefore I know nothing about them.
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 7:04:15 PM EDT
[#3]
thanks, that worked great!
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 7:20:43 PM EDT
[#4]
that's the "easy" way.

you can play with them and open them much more flashy.
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 7:24:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Practice your draw on your pistol and you will be better off. You try that knife shit on the wrong man and you'll come in second place in a gun fight. I know I'll catch hell from the "knife fighter" crowd but I'd rather have a Davis Industries Derringer that the best knife made, anyday.
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 7:27:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Great little video segment agtm.  I see from the link in the reply screen that it's from another website, but it's still pretty neat how short vid's can get linked into a thread like that.

Alas, it's too bad that butterfly knives are illegal in WI, as well as other places I'm sure.

Funny thing is, with most modern knives you have a thumb stud and they actually open faster and easier than a butterfly knive.

Butterfly knives are the AR15's of the knife world.  Autos knives are the Class III AK-47 of the knife world.

PURE EVIL.

[Can everyone see the sarcasm here, or do I need to spell it out so no one jumps on me for being an anti?  [rolleyes] )
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 7:56:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Went through that phase about 7 years ago or so, back when I was at UMass. That graphic example is about the best basic way you open it. Now do it a couple hours a week and in about a month or so you can start playing around with style. Hehehe....I used to walk up and down the halls of the dorm flinging it around...hehehe.....
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 8:27:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 8:34:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Get one of these babies by Microtech.  Smooth as butter.  Ti handles.

Tachyon - ta-kE-än

A hypothetical subatomic particle that always travels faster than the speed of light.
View Quote

Under $200.00.

[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid28/p66a10f025123dd5e3a015f6c79640fe9/fd6b8d0d.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 8:49:20 PM EDT
[#10]
yah its flashy, but y not just push a button
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 9:00:57 PM EDT
[#11]
When I was a kid, I learned the valuable lesson of only holding onto the handle that has the backside of the blade toward it.  I sliced my fingers bad one time holding onto the other side.  Just like the movie director yelling "take one" with that black and white movie board slapping shut on my hand.  That stunk bad.
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 6:38:21 AM EDT
[#12]
My favorite is the "ice-pick" or latch drop opening (http://www.balisongxtreme.com/baliplanet2/intermediate/latchdrop/latchdrop.avi) where you hold the latch between your fingers (side without latch towards palm) let the non latch part loose while snapping wrist & catch it when it swings up.  Much quicker than than the others I've tried but not as flashy.  Not that I'd actually use a butterfly knife for "social" reasons, a fixed blade is quicker, less noisy & less problems legally.  The main use for my butterfly knife is opening letters & a yo-yo/paddle ball like toy when killing time-watching TV, etc since I don't smoke.  Fiddling with one soothes the nerves.
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 6:43:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 10:03:23 AM EDT
[#14]
I used to play with one. I saw a book once which gave instruction in its use as a weapon. There are many more aspects to its usefulness than cutting. See if you can get ahold of such expertise and a practice knife which has a flat bar in place of a blade.
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 1:33:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I could show you in person.Wait I'm in Illinois and there illegal here..Therefore I know nothing about them.
View Quote

When did balisongs become illegal to own in Illinois?  I carried one for years when I lived there, even had to have my mother pick it up from the high school principal once, but never heard that they were illegal.  I used to buy cheap $20 versions at the army surplus story.
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 1:35:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Alas, it's too bad that butterfly knives are illegal in WI, as well as other places I'm sure.

PURE EVIL.
View Quote

This makes me want a new one. Maybe the Tachyon shown above.  [:)]

Here is a link to knife laws by State as of 1996.
[url]http://pweb.netcom.com/~brlevine/sta-law.htm[/url]
Has there been a rash of new knife laws enacted?
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 10:47:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

PURE EVIL.
View Quote

View Quote

You won't be disappointed.  They come serrated/un-serrated.  Much better then those Benchmade ones IMO.

And you can easily change the safety latch to the other side with a small torx.
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 11:46:06 PM EDT
[#18]
If I've understood the posts so far:

I get to spend about $200 on an inadequate weapon, that I'd best practise with a "pretend version" for a couple of months. Then, when I get really adept and try it out, any SOB with a Friday-night specialcan blow me away.

Where can I get more info – rich&stupid-masochists.com?
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 1:16:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Ahhh, you just whip it around and try to make it look good.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 6:27:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

PURE EVIL.
View Quote

Here is a link to knife laws by State as of 1996.
[url]http://pweb.netcom.com/~brlevine/sta-law.htm[/url]
Has there been a rash of new knife laws enacted?
View Quote

Muad:

If you're asking whether butterfly knives are illegal in WI, they are.  Butterfly knives are considered a "gravity knife" and is regulated under sec. 941.24(1), Stats.

[b]"Possession of a switchblade knife.

"(1) Whoever manufactures, sells or offers to sell, transports, purchases, possesses or goes armed with any knife having a blade which opens by pressing a button, spring or other device in the handle or by gravity or by a thrust or movement is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor.

"(2) Within 30 days after April 16, 1959, such knives shall be surrendered to any peace officer."[/b]

Funny thing is, "or by gravity or by a thrust or movement" seems to apply to just about any folder.  I mean, really, what does "or movement" mean.  And didn't somebody once tell me that a thumb stud knife can be opened faster than an auto?

Ban the scary knives, but forget about the fact that most of the crackheads carry cheap steak knives....
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 7:10:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
[url]http://www.balisongxtreme.com/baliplanet2/beginners/horiz-basic/horiz-basic.gif[/url]
View Quote

Forget this method! I know a guy that can open these things with amazing speed!!! I am still a little fuzzy on how he did it though...
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 7:14:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If you're asking whether butterfly knives are illegal in WI, they are.  Butterfly knives are considered a "gravity knife" and is regulated under sec. 941.24(1), Stats.

[b]"Possession of a switchblade knife.

"(1) Whoever manufactures, sells or offers to sell, transports, purchases, possesses or goes armed with any knife having a blade which opens by pressing a button, spring or other device in the handle or by gravity or by a thrust or movement is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor.

"(2) Within 30 days after April 16, 1959, such knives shall be surrendered to any peace officer."[/b]

Funny thing is, "or by gravity or by a thrust or movement" seems to apply to just about any folder.  I mean, really, what does "or movement" mean.  And didn't somebody once tell me that a thumb stud knife can be opened faster than an auto?

Ban the scary knives, but forget about the fact that most of the crackheads carry cheap steak knives....
View Quote

TX law is similar too-- and all folders can be opened using a little thrust or gavity. Go figure.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 8:32:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Muad:

View Quote

I thought the original intent of these laws was to ban switchblade-like knives.

As a knife guy, I guess when I think of a gravity knife I always get the mental image of the old German Paratrooper's gravity knife.  Similar to this:
[url] http://www.quanonline.com/military/military_reference/german/gravity_knife.html[/url]

Edit: You'll have to cut and paste the link to get it to work.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 9:27:53 AM EDT
[#24]
I have a benchmade knife, with axis lock. I can open that thing and close it so fast, people think its a switchblade.

I also have a Ken Onion Boa-- spring assisted. Flips open by tapping the blade. Not a switchblade according to TX laws, but its sure damn close!
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 6:47:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I have a benchmade knife, with axis lock. I can open that thing and close it so fast, people think its a switchblade.

I also have a Ken Onion Boa-- spring assisted. Flips open by tapping the blade. Not a switchblade according to TX laws, but its sure damn close!
View Quote

Then there are the Emerson knives with the "Wave" feature.  They open by hooking the "wave" on the hem of your pocket as you draw it, and it just snaps open slicker'n snot. You can also do that trick with their thumb ramp blades, but it's not as easy.

Link Posted: 8/13/2002 6:53:18 AM EDT
[#26]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top