Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2004 4:20:18 AM EDT
and what shouldnt???

I noticed my computer has slowed down in the last day or two, damn consumptionjunction.

Anywho, while Ad-Aware is running, I have 21 new objects to be immunized.

I glanced at my running processes, I see the ipod one, I dont have an ipod.

Any clues??? Thankx!

ETA: those sonofabitches.....

Link Posted: 10/25/2004 4:24:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Cav - the iPod one "may" be from Apple Quicktime if you have that installed.  Do yourself a favor and oull down SpyBot as well.  It'll catch things that AdAware misses.  Running both a few times a week will keep your gear clean.

SPYBOT

ETA- I have Ipod as well - It's from Quicktime.  If you have a process called "qttask.exe" then you have QT running and the iPod crap got installed during the QT install.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 4:24:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Normally, you see the words in the User Name slot. If you see SYSTEM, NETWORK OR LOCAL SERVICE then don't delete those. Only delete the ME or other users stuff.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 4:26:22 AM EDT
[#3]
While you're cleaning, check your service lists for anything suspicious.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 4:31:13 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
While you're cleaning, check your service lists for anything suspicious.

???  WTF is a service list??

And yes I have QT on my PC, but no I dont have a task called. "qttask.exe".

Spybot had the same 5 DSO exploits it alwasy has.

Thanks!

Link Posted: 10/25/2004 4:35:49 AM EDT
[#5]
QTTask is worthless. Don't worry about killing it.

The service list is a list of services loaded by the system at startup. There are ocassionally nasty things in there. Right now, don't worry about it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 5:10:57 AM EDT
[#6]
www.blackviper.com/ has some very good info. I've tried a lot of his tweaks and they work good for me.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 5:30:02 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
www.blackviper.com/ has some very good info. I've tried a lot of his tweaks and they work good for me.

DEAR GOD!! Another M.A.X. player!!
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 5:36:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Disable qttask - it starts up automatically when you boot your system by default. Type "msconfig" into the run box and click on the startup tab. You probably have a bunch of stuff running under the startup tab that is not necessary. Just uncheck the ones you don't want and reboot.

r/s

Dan
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top