Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2005 12:09:11 PM EDT
In a SHTF situation you may have to change from DRIVE to REVERSE really quickly. What happens in my car is that when you suddenly stop and shift into reverse, your seat belt LOCKS and you cannot unlock it without wasting time to stop the vehicle and let the belt unlock.

How do I disable this stupid mechanism? Grease up the seat belt? It's very sensitive and overly sensitive. The older cars did not have this problem.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 12:48:10 PM EDT
[#1]
depends on the car. Most are computer controled now, so you really can't just disable it. For instance if you are in a truck with integrated seat belts, it is definatly computer controled. In the late 90's, it was a seperate computer, lately they make it part of the main computer your car uses to run. If you can find the inertia switches, you could try to find a way to pin them open, but then what happens in a real wreck?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 12:53:45 PM EDT
[#2]

Honestly, this is a REALLY stupid idea, because THAT is what it's for......

To save your life......

If you care so little about your safety, don't wear it.

Plus, if you tamper with it, and ever WERE in an accident, it would be REALLY easy to tell, and any competent attorney would tear your ass apart, if you had to sue the insurance company, or another driver, if it wasn't your fault.

Don't fuck with em.....  Just live with it.   Might save your life some day.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 12:57:55 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
In a SHTF situation you may have to change from DRIVE to REVERSE really quickly. What happens in my car is that when you suddenly stop and shift into reverse, your seat belt LOCKS and you cannot unlock it without wasting time to stop the vehicle and let the belt unlock.

How do I disable this stupid mechanism? Grease up the seat belt? It's very sensitive and overly sensitive. The older cars did not have this problem.

ah this is totally my bag since I design these things. what you're experiencing is the vehicle sensitive locking mechanism on the retractor engaging. they are typically set for .3-.5G. the action of braking your vehicle probably gives you a -.2G, then throwing it into reverse probably gives you another cumulative-.2G which puts you over the G threshold of the locking mechanism and so it locks. the only safe solution is to not brake as fast or throw it into reverse as fast. I would definately recommend you not fuck with the locking mechanism.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:01:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Why would you need it to unlock anyway? All it is is a little spring-loaded pawl that engages a ratchet on the tensioner. Or rather, the light spring KEEPS the pawl from engaging under normal driving conditions. when you get a sudden deceleration, the tensioner "locks up" but should immediately disengage as soon as the deceleration stops. I suppose you could just remove the little pawl, but that would render your shoulder belt useless, and probably the lap belt, too.

You win the "Frequancy Generator" award of the day.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:38:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I would choose to not wear my seat belt in the areas where I need to brake suddenly and shift into reverse, except the fucking mobile tax collectors would give me a ticket. It's very easy to trip this damn locking mechanism. I could just brake quickly and bam, the lock would engage. I could tap the gas and BAM, the belt locks up and I cannot move whatsoever.
My old Ford didn't have this problem but it would "lock" when needed. The new vehicles lock if you look at it the wrong way. Ford came out with some new "innovation" that slow releases the belt. The fucking geniuses say this is new???  Geez.

This damn thing has nearly choked me to death several times already. I'm ready to tear the thing right out of the car.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 11:10:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Just push the release button if you are being choked..

What kind of car do you have? Are you of shorter stature so that the shoulder belt is across your throat? what situations cause you to be in an area where you'd have to brake suddenly and go into reverse on a regular basis?

The locking mechanism is what keeps you from flying into the windshield, sliding violently under the steering wheel, or obtaining the man's persistent dream of flight as you are ejected from your car in an accident. Disabling it would be akin to actually attempting to win an Darwin Award. If you dig deep disfiguring lacerations, head injuries, missing teeth and facial fractures I say disable it and drive on!

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 11:14:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Homer: Seatbelts? They kill more people that they save!

Lisa: I SAID SEATBELTS, YOU'RE THINKING OF AIRBAGS DAD!
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 11:28:51 AM EDT
[#8]
+1 to not disable it.

I work at a plant that makes airbag inflators. You do NOT want to hit that airbag unrestrained. If your belt locks, quit pulling against it and it will unlock.

Don't disable your safety systems people. They work the way they do for a reason. And if you have a pyrotechnic tensioner for the event of a crash, you definitely don't want to fuck with it.....
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 11:49:04 AM EDT
[#9]
It's a late model Crown Vic. The slanted part goes across my throat when it locks up.
I brake hard and shift into reverse on a daily basis (back into my driveway).

I've thought about throwing the airbag garbage into the trash as well.
Most LEOs seem to not wear their seat belts. It catches on almost anything you have on your belt.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 12:00:33 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
It's a late model Crown Vic. The slanted part goes across my throat when it locks up.
I brake hard and shift into reverse on a daily basis (back into my driveway).

I've thought about throwing the airbag garbage into the trash as well.
Most LEOs seem to not wear their seat belts. It catches on almost anything you have on your belt.

Don't mess with your airbag. If you cross the wrong wires or spark the intiator, you are going to come out with the stinky end of the stick. Trust me. The airbag inflator in your car is essentialy a vented pipe bomb. The chemicals in the gas generant are toxic. The byproducts of the burn (clinker) are toxic.

If you have to fuck with it, have someone who KNOWS EXACTLY WHAT THEY ARE DOING do it.

Airbags are not to be thought of lightly.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 12:01:46 PM EDT
[#11]
My current solution for the seat belt issue is to remove the belt when I'm right near the house.
I'm still not a fan of airbags but I'll leave it in place.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 1:59:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Is your driveway on the freeway?  Even on a rural rd you can slow down before backing into your drive.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 2:19:06 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Is your driveway on the freeway?  Even on a rural rd you can slow down before backing into your drive.

What do you think happens when I slow down and shift into reverse? The damn thing chokes me. Sometimes if I lean forward a bit to shift my body so I have a better view when backing up, it locks up the belt as soon as I shift into R.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 3:37:38 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

So if cops were jumping off the Empire State Building?.......

Dude who cares what cops do. Cops get their faces planted in windshields too, and die like everyone else.

LEOs who don't wear their seatbelts these days get burned when they are injured. They are found partially culpable for the extent of their injuries and are denied benefits. It happens in my department. Further, the supervisor doing the accident report takes statements. Two cops in my dept said they had them on, they didn't. The Vehicle data recorders can tell crash investigators whether the seatbelt was on or not. The VDR said they didn't, and they got burned for filing false statements too.

What do you do, bootleg turns into your driveway?
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 3:47:51 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
+1 to not disable it.

I work at a plant that makes airbag inflators. You do NOT want to hit that airbag unrestrained. If your belt locks, quit pulling against it and it will unlock.

Don't disable your safety systems people. They work the way they do for a reason. And if you have a pyrotechnic tensioner for the event of a crash, you definitely don't want to fuck with it.....

I'd rather have the airbag removed and keep the seat belt.  Can't do that because the nanny state says I'm too tall.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 3:48:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

And if you have a pyrotechnic tensioner for the event of a crash, you definitely don't want to fuck with it.....

Same thing I was gonna say. People ask me at work how do I install these seatbelts for prizm's,cavaliers,venture's,trailblazers etc.... and all I tell them is to get a certified mechanic to do it so they dont get hurt/maimed/killed.

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 3:49:27 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What do you do, bootleg turns into your driveway?

Crown Vics do not have seat belt sensors for anything other than the driver's seat belt. I cannot reach the wire for the seat belt sensor, so I disable the belt minder via the PCM (secret squirrel method of doing it, which is covered in the manual). I have heard of data recorders implemented in the later model Fords which read data on seat belt usage, speed, brake usage, etc... prior to an accident so you're probably right for the newest cars.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 3:51:39 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
+1 to not disable it.

I'd rather have the airbag removed and keep the seat belt.  Can't do that because the nanny state says I'm too tall.

+1

I'd rather have the airbags GONE and have a 5 point SFI certified restraint along with a SA-00 rated full-faced helmet.

At least with a 5 point restraint, YOU adjust it for your body size and it won't "CHOKE" you when you least expect it (trying to lean or something) - just hit the release and off you go (designed for HIGH SPEED RACING AND SAFETY, much higher test than anything Gramps or Granny will encounter driving to the store). The full-face SA-00 helmet is fire retardant and will provide MUCH MORE protection to your noggin than an air bag will ever provide.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 3:57:08 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Quoted:

And if you have a pyrotechnic tensioner for the event of a crash, you definitely don't want to fuck with it.....

Same thing I was gonna say. People ask me at work how do I install these seatbelts for prizm's,cavaliers,venture's,trailblazers etc.... and all I tell them is to get a certified mechanic to do it so they dont get hurt/maimed/killed.

So do Camaros have these?  I need to get this swapped out
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:03:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Darwin is watching this post
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:06:37 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Darwin is watching this post

That guy can watch all he wants as long as he tells me how to replace the pryo ten with a mechanical one and remove the airbags.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:14:30 PM EDT
[#22]
take a driving course for hi profile clients and diplomats drivers
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:45:46 PM EDT
[#23]
I know what he is talking about. My wife has a CV and the seatbelts in it will pin you to the back of the seat. It's like you try to slack it to adjust for comfort and the bitch just hangs up and all the slack goes back in and locks when you try to pull it back out. You just keep getting tighter and tighter until you can't move. It doesn't happen to me often but I have to unlatch the belt and let all the slack go all of the way in. It has happened in a Lincoln Town Car too.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:53:29 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I know what he is talking about. My wife has a CV and the seatbelts in it will pin you to the back of the seat. It's like you try to slack it to adjust for comfort and the bitch just hangs up and all the slack goes back in and locks when you try to pull it back out. You just keep getting tighter and tighter until you can't move. It doesn't happen to me often but I have to unlatch the belt and let all the slack go all of the way in. It has happened in a Lincoln Town Car too.

I try to get out, but it pulls me back in!
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 6:23:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Just go out and slam your car or truck from forward to reverse from about 10 mph a few times without braking and you will not have to worry about it for long.
One more thing if you are realy brave drop it into park instead of useing  the brakes.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 3:31:38 AM EDT
[#26]
In case it wasn't obvious: Don't try what he said.
You will wear out the parking pawl and burn out the clutches.

I increased the engagement line pressure when shifting into Drive or Reverse so it kicks in faster. On a stock Panther, it will usually take a few split seconds to engaged into D or R. With the slightly higher pressure, it grabs faster but there's no noticeable addition of shock or Gs and has nothing to do with what sam1963 said.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:51:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Why don't you just go to Office Depot, buy a package of those metal clips that are used to clip thick stacks of paper together, and clip it to the seat belt on your side of the steel loop that is bolted to the pilar so the belt won't retract.  Position it so there is a slight amount of slack in the belt.

Problem solved for under a $1.

No deletion of any safety stuff.

Completely removeable so anyone else that drives the car can either use it or not, and can adjust it the way they want.

The belt will still work as designed, provided you don't put too much slack in the belt.  

The only drawback is the belt won't retract at all, so you need to throw the loose belt back in the car before you close the door.

You can substitute whatever device you have on hand.  The old seat belts had a plastic slider on them to do this exact thing.  A clothes pin would probably work.  You should be able to come up with something that will do the same thing.  

Screwing with sensors, jumping pins, changing ECU's, dicking with inertial reels...WHY?  Think Simple!  All you need to do is prevent the belt from retracting so you have enough slack to release the lock.

Why oh why do people complicate their lives so much?
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:17:07 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
In case it wasn't obvious: Don't try what he said.
You will wear out the parking pawl and burn out the clutches.

I increased the engagement line pressure when shifting into Drive or Reverse so it kicks in faster. On a stock Panther, it will usually take a few split seconds to engaged into D or R. With the slightly higher pressure, it grabs faster but there's no noticeable addition of shock or Gs and has nothing to do with what sam1963 said.

Yes I was only jokeing with you. I also think that the seatbelts are a pain sometimes but I would think that its for the best.   I am sure know one on this board would put there car in park with out stopping first. I knew I did not need to state that.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:29:54 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Why don't you just go to Office Depot, buy a package of those metal clips that are used to clip thick stacks of paper together, and clip it to the seat belt on your side of the steel loop that is bolted to the pilar so the belt won't retract.  Position it so there is a slight amount of slack in the belt.

Problem solved for under a $1.

No deletion of any safety stuff.

Completely removeable so anyone else that drives the car can either use it or not, and can adjust it the way they want.

The belt will still work as designed, provided you don't put too much slack in the belt.  

The only drawback is the belt won't retract at all, so you need to throw the loose belt back in the car before you close the door.

You can substitute whatever device you have on hand.  The old seat belts had a plastic slider on them to do this exact thing.  A clothes pin would probably work.  You should be able to come up with something that will do the same thing.  

Screwing with sensors, jumping pins, changing ECU's, dicking with inertial reels...WHY?  Think Simple!  All you need to do is prevent the belt from retracting so you have enough slack to release the lock.

Why oh why do people complicate their lives so much?

They sell the old-type sliders at the big chain auto stores. They're made to do this, and work quite well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top