Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/23/2010 10:25:56 AM EDT
Wife has been interviewing so much in the last couple of months and now she has a dilemma, but it's a good dilemma to have.  She's interning right now, but it only lasts for the summer.

She has had 2 job offers this week.  The first is for a job that she really wants, we'll call the company K.  The second is at company B, and she's not too keen on the position.  Pay is lower, work will be boring, etc.

Tuesday before last, she had her first interview at K.  Two days later, a background check company (K hired them to do this) called her and left a voicemail asking about one of her former employers because they can not get in touch with the company.  She tried calling back a couple of times to let them know that the company is no longer in business, but she never could get in touch with the background check people.  So she calls the HR at K, and explained to them what was going on.  They said they would take care of it.  

K calls her back at the end of the week and ask for a 2nd interview on Monday.  At the end of this interview, they told her she was their top candidate and that they would be sending a job offer through email and postal within 3 days.  However, they are on a wage freeze right now, so the wage they will offer has to be formally approved by corporate, so it might take a little longer than 3 days.  She has been ecstatic about this ever since.

Yesterday, the same background company calls again on behalf of K.  They leave her a voicemail asking about the same company that is no longer in business.  Again, wife can not get back in touch with them, so she calls HR at K again and lets them know.  They said they would look into it and my wife let them know that they can contact her current employer if they want.  She said they would just do that instead and her assistant would be calling my wife in a few minutes to get the details.  Assistant never called my wife, so wife has been a nervous wreck about it since.  However, she finds out this morning that K did call her current boss and he bragged about her.

Also yesterday, she had her final interview at B.  Like I mentioned, she's not keen on the job at all, but it is a job.  Well, they called her today offering her the position but told her they need a response by 9am Monday morning.

K still hasn't sent her a formal job offer.  What should she do?

Should she call K today and let them know her predicament??  She's afraid she's bugged them about the background company and calling them now will make her look pushy.

Or should she accept the offer with B, then if K does send an offer, accept it and apologize to B for the inconvenience??

I'm leaning towards the latter option, but I'm not sure.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 10:27:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Wife has been interviewing so much in the last couple of months and now she has a dilemma, but it's a good dilemma to have.  She's interning right now, but it only lasts for the summer.

She has had 2 job offers this week.  The first is for a job that she really wants, we'll call the company K.  The second is at company B, and she's not too keen on the position.  Pay is lower, work will be boring, etc.

Tuesday before last, she had her first interview at K.  Two days later, a background check company (K hired them to do this) called her and left a voicemail asking about one of her former employers because they can not get in touch with the company.  She tried calling back a couple of times to let them know that the company is no longer in business, but she never could get in touch with the background check people.  So she calls the HR at K, and explained to them what was going on.  They said they would take care of it.  

K calls her back at the end of the week and ask for a 2nd interview on Monday.  At the end of this interview, they told her she was their top candidate and that they would be sending a job offer through email and postal within 3 days.  However, they are on a wage freeze right now, so the wage they will offer has to be formally approved by corporate, so it might take a little longer than 3 days.  She has been ecstatic about this ever since.

Yesterday, the same background company calls again on behalf of K.  They leave her a voicemail asking about the same company that is no longer in business.  Again, wife can not get back in touch with them, so she calls HR at K again and lets them know.  They said they would look into it and my wife let them know that they can contact her current employer if they want.  She said they would just do that instead and her assistant would my wife in a few minutes to get the details.  Assistant never called my wife, so wife has been a nervous wreck about it.  However, she finds out this morning that K did call her current boss and he bragged on her.

Also yesterday, she had her final interview at B.  Like I mentioned, she's not keen on the job at all, but it is a job.  Well, they called her today offering her the position but told her they need a response by 9am Monday morning.

K still hasn't sent her a formal job offer.  What should she do?

Should she call K today and let them know her predicament??  She's afraid she's bugged them about the background company and calling them now will make her look pushy.

Or should she accept the offer with B, then if K does send an offer, accept it and apologize to B for the inconvenience??

This IMO. That way you have your bases covered.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 10:28:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Does she hate/have to get out of her current job?  If she's still got her hand on that branch I'd say hold out for the job she wants.  It sounds to me like the background check company is just being flaky.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 10:29:17 AM EDT
[#3]
a bird in the hand......
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 10:31:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Does she hate/have to get out of her current job?  If she's still got her hand on that branch I'd say hold out for the job she wants.  It sounds to me like the background check company is just being flaky.

She's just interning, and that is only good through August.  

On one hand, taking the job at B gives you security and the only downfall is that they will have to offer the job to someone else if she accepts K's offer later.

But holding out on K and declining the job at B while only having employment for more weeks tops is kind of risky.  Especially since there is just so much competition right now.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 10:32:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Throw some stall questions at B.

Think up benefit and other questions that might take them a day or 2 to respond.  If you need more time, throw out more questions.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 10:34:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Accept B.   Getting approval from corporate for wages means they are going to offer and extremely lower amount than she is expecting.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 10:36:05 AM EDT
[#7]

This.  In todays economy, take the sure thing and upgrade if the opportunity presents itself.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 10:48:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This.  In todays economy, take the sure thing and upgrade if the opportunity presents itself.

Yes.

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 10:49:02 AM EDT
[#9]
I would be "honest" with B and let them know she has another offer and needs a few days to mull things over.  B may dig into their pockets a little deeper if they want her, which they do, but they think they can steal her as its a buyers market. They are counting on this!

Sounds like she is in a good position to negotiate, so do it.

I would tell B that you have another offer in hand it they are offering XYZ and that she would need at LEAST that to come work for B.  This will buy you a few days until K comes through, and of they dont she will in all liklihood get a better offer from B.

just my .02 though.

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 10:57:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Here's a hint: be thankful she has multiple job offers.

I graduated in May with a degree in engineering and I haven't had so much as a phone interview.

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 10:58:54 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wife has been interviewing so much in the last couple of months and now she has a dilemma, but it's a good dilemma to have. She's interning right now, but it only lasts for the summer.

She has had 2 job offers this week. The first is for a job that she really wants, we'll call the company K. The second is at company B, and she's not too keen on the position. Pay is lower, work will be boring, etc.

Tuesday before last, she had her first interview at K. Two days later, a background check company (K hired them to do this) called her and left a voicemail asking about one of her former employers because they can not get in touch with the company. She tried calling back a couple of times to let them know that the company is no longer in business, but she never could get in touch with the background check people. So she calls the HR at K, and explained to them what was going on. They said they would take care of it.

K calls her back at the end of the week and ask for a 2nd interview on Monday. At the end of this interview, they told her she was their top candidate and that they would be sending a job offer through email and postal within 3 days. However, they are on a wage freeze right now, so the wage they will offer has to be formally approved by corporate, so it might take a little longer than 3 days. She has been ecstatic about this ever since.

Yesterday, the same background company calls again on behalf of K. They leave her a voicemail asking about the same company that is no longer in business. Again, wife can not get back in touch with them, so she calls HR at K again and lets them know. They said they would look into it and my wife let them know that they can contact her current employer if they want. She said they would just do that instead and her assistant would my wife in a few minutes to get the details. Assistant never called my wife, so wife has been a nervous wreck about it. However, she finds out this morning that K did call her current boss and he bragged on her.

Also yesterday, she had her final interview at B. Like I mentioned, she's not keen on the job at all, but it is a job. Well, they called her today offering her the position but told her they need a response by 9am Monday morning.

K still hasn't sent her a formal job offer. What should she do?

Should she call K today and let them know her predicament?? She's afraid she's bugged them about the background company and calling them now will make her look pushy.

No, this isn't the way adults do it.  Ask for more time for consideration from B and tell K that you haven't received an offer yet and have other decisions to make.

Accepting two jobs and then backing out will get you blackballed in some circles. Remember, you only have one reputation and it's your choice to keep it.

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 10:59:06 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I graduated in May with a degree in engineering and I haven't had so much as a phone interview.

Start your own thread then and quit shitting in someone else's.

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 11:05:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You graduated in the middle of a recession with little or no real world experience and are competing for jobs in a field that is especially saturated with a large amount of highly skilled laid off candidates with years of experience.

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 11:37:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Wife has been interviewing so much in the last couple of months and now she has a dilemma, but it's a good dilemma to have. She's interning right now, but it only lasts for the summer.

She has had 2 job offers this week. The first is for a job that she really wants, we'll call the company K. The second is at company B, and she's not too keen on the position. Pay is lower, work will be boring, etc.

Tuesday before last, she had her first interview at K. Two days later, a background check company (K hired them to do this) called her and left a voicemail asking about one of her former employers because they can not get in touch with the company. She tried calling back a couple of times to let them know that the company is no longer in business, but she never could get in touch with the background check people. So she calls the HR at K, and explained to them what was going on. They said they would take care of it.

K calls her back at the end of the week and ask for a 2nd interview on Monday. At the end of this interview, they told her she was their top candidate and that they would be sending a job offer through email and postal within 3 days. However, they are on a wage freeze right now, so the wage they will offer has to be formally approved by corporate, so it might take a little longer than 3 days. She has been ecstatic about this ever since.

Yesterday, the same background company calls again on behalf of K. They leave her a voicemail asking about the same company that is no longer in business. Again, wife can not get back in touch with them, so she calls HR at K again and lets them know. They said they would look into it and my wife let them know that they can contact her current employer if they want. She said they would just do that instead and her assistant would my wife in a few minutes to get the details. Assistant never called my wife, so wife has been a nervous wreck about it. However, she finds out this morning that K did call her current boss and he bragged on her.

Also yesterday, she had her final interview at B. Like I mentioned, she's not keen on the job at all, but it is a job. Well, they called her today offering her the position but told her they need a response by 9am Monday morning.

K still hasn't sent her a formal job offer. What should she do?

Should she call K today and let them know her predicament?? She's afraid she's bugged them about the background company and calling them now will make her look pushy.

No, this isn't the way adults do it.  Ask for more time for consideration from B and tell K that you haven't received an offer yet and have other decisions to make.

Accepting two jobs and then backing out will get you blackballed in some circles. Remember, you only have one reputation and it's your choice to keep it.

This is the correct answer.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 11:41:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Delay accepting the mediocre job, but don't turn it down.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top