Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/2/2008 3:38:05 PM EDT
Greetings,

I purchased a EVGA GeForce 8600 GT Video Card and it runs great for the money. However the thing is getting HOT! It shows that it is reaching 150-160f when gaming.

I have fan in the front of case drawing in air, One in the back taking out the air, one PCI fan below the card drawing out air. Lots of air movement there to be sure.

What can I do to cool it more? WHat availiable fans/heatsinks will fit on the card that will allow the thing to cool down?

I am having no luck in finding any info on add on fans to install to this thing.

What say you?
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:47:36 PM EDT
[#1]

http://shop4.frys.com/product/5388898?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

http://shop4.frys.com/product/5019225?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 6:48:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Them water things are spendy for sure.

How bout this mabey...

Is there a set protocol for the mounting stuff? I seen some chipset/VGA fan heatsink things. Some reviews given list only certain VGA boards and not the one I have.

Are these boards pretty much the same layout as far as connecting these VGA fans?

Will the GeForce 8600GT mounting style be the same as something for the GeForce 8800GT and the 9600's ?

Link Posted: 6/2/2008 7:12:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I've seen people using this with a fan zip tied to it or this with an 8600gt.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 8:36:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Why do you need to cool it?  Does it have problems?

> one PCI fan below the card drawing out air

make sure that fan work with and not against the fan (if any) on the card.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 4:35:18 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Greetings,

I purchased a EVGA GeForce 8600 GT Video Card and it runs great for the money. However the thing is getting HOT! It shows that it is reaching 150-160f when gaming.

I have fan in the front of case drawing in air, One in the back taking out the air, one PCI fan below the card drawing out air. Lots of air movement there to be sure.

What can I do to cool it more? WHat availiable fans/heatsinks will fit on the card that will allow the thing to cool down?

I am having no luck in finding any info on add on fans to install to this thing.

What say you?

First, that's not that hot, actually. 160f = 71C. That's not bad. The general rule with most 8xxx series cards is that if your below the 75-80 range you're OK. It's once you get above 80C you need to start worrying. Either way....

Download RivaTuner. Great program for controlling all facets of of your video card experience. Follow this guide to set up fan profiles for it.

Heck, when in the program, just adjust the fan speed to 50% and see if it affects the temps. My 8800GTS on stock fan speed (I think about 20-25%) runs in the mid 60s C, but when I bump it up to 50% fan speed I drop down to about 52-53. Load temps run in the 65-68 range. And before you ask, I'd have to have my head down next to the tower to notice the noise difference due to the speed increase.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 12:33:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm using a Swiftech Stealth waterblock on my 8800GTS
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top