Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/11/2005 6:26:50 AM EDT
Can anyone here tell me how I might convert some VHS tapes to a DVD? I have the DVD burner on my computer so I was wondering what software and/or equipment I may need.
Thanks
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:38:28 AM EDT
My computer came with an AV input but it is a new computer. You should be able to pick one up fairly cheap at computer store or a best buy etc... With mine I was able to suck in vhs and even my camcorder which is not digital into my hard drive and burned them from there. It takes up a ton of memory so I have an external hard drive to but that stuff onto. Plus you can always delete the files once you've burned them.

Hope it helps
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:41:30 AM EDT
You need a way to get the video on the the PC, I have an ATI All-in-Wonder video card, once it is on the PC you need a program to render/convert it and burn it onto a DVD. DVD players require a particular format. I use a few different programs depending on exactly what I am making. I cannot think of the names this second, those are on my desktop PC. Oh, and you need a pretty decent PC and some free time too.

Hope this helps.

ByteTheBullet (-:

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:48:30 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 9:37:55 AM EDT
Thanks for the replies, I have a laptop without an AV input so it will probably easies to use a firewire connector of the ADVC-110 or something similar.
Thanks
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 9:44:50 AM EDT
I used my Sony digital camcorder as an analog-to-digital converter; it plugs into the PC via FireWire in the usual way, and the VCR plugs into the camcorder's analog I/O port. I'm sure other camcorders will have this functionality... if you have one, check out your user manual. Once hooked up, you can use whatever video capture/editing software that came with your camcorder.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:14:03 PM EDT
No, I don't have a digital camcorder. That is actually what I want to convert to digital - home videos.
Thanks
Top Top