Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/18/2006 6:17:47 PM EDT
Got a yugo M48A mauser the other day and the wood is fairly dark like dirt it has dirt stuck to it. Im not thinking its just naturally this dark because towards the forend the stock starts to lighten.

So is there any way to clean this up with out stripping all the finish off? I dont mind the dings and scratches I just want the stock to be back to its natural color.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:18:53 PM EDT
[#1]
You can sand and refinish, but I would strip it down and start over.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:19:58 PM EDT
[#2]
when i first read this thread title i thought it said "how to clean up a dirty sock?" and i was like wtf use a washing machine duhhhh

sorry, nothing constructive to add here, just passing through...
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:20:56 PM EDT
[#3]
strip it with easy off and refinish
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:20:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Leave it like it is and shoot the bejeebus out of it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:22:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Murphys oil soap
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:23:45 PM EDT
[#6]
ok thanks. It seems I can either just leave it as it is or have to strip it and restain it.  Ill just elave it as is for now, if its a nice shooter ill debate whether or not i will refinish it
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:25:34 PM EDT
[#7]
They use an M14 stock but you get the idea.

Good shit here
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:26:59 PM EDT
[#8]
When I got my CMP Garand, I pulled all the wood off and put it through the dishwasher.  It pulled all of the dirt and gunk out of the wood and even got rid of most of the dings.  I sanded it and refinished the stock and now it looks pretty good.  To be honest this was my old dishwasher and that was the last thing I used it for before I replaced it.  I got this idea from other folks who have done the same thing and then used their dishwasher for washing dishes.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:14:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Oven cleaner, sucks the oils right out
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:57:10 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
When I got my CMP Garand, I pulled all the wood off and put it through the dishwasher.  It pulled all of the dirt and gunk out of the wood and even got rid of most of the dings.  I sanded it and refinished the stock and now it looks pretty good.  To be honest this was my old dishwasher and that was the last thing I used it for before I replaced it.  I got this idea from other folks who have done the same thing and then used their dishwasher for washing dishes.

This is only good if you are a bachelor, or want to become one quickly.

Kerosene does pretty well too.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:03:17 PM EDT
[#11]
I would leave it "as is" the dark color saturated in the wood took years and years and it's part of the gun's history.

and it also helps protect the wood  from absorbing moisture, makes it more weather resistant
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top