Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/2/2011 12:27:59 PM EDT
So I just came across a bunch of food quality 55 gallon drums. I have a few ideas for stuff that I want to build. Tops on that list is a smoker.

Does anyone have pics or plans of one they have made that works well?
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 12:31:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Seems like a simple enough process.  Cut a door, make a stand or legs to get it off the ground, add something to regulate the air flow, add some screws that stick in enough to place a grate on, etc.

The only thing that might be difficult is making sure the door doesn't leak enough air to affect temperature.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 12:32:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Tag. I have a brand new 55 gallon stainless drum. I think I want to make it an offset.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 12:43:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Google UDS (ugly drum smoker), I don't have link on my phone.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 12:46:46 PM EDT
[#4]
This place is the arfcom of bbq.
Nice long thread on UDS smokers.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436

ETA: Jump to the end of the 580 page thread and work back. A lot of the early pages from 2007 no longer have working pics.

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 12:47:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Food grade?
First, make sure it's metal and not plastic.

'Cause you know, someone, somwhere,probably once tried.....
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 1:35:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I've read about some that have firebricks in them and fireplace gaskets and everything. I know the Big Green Egg ones are supposed to be really nice. I have been using a typical factory built one. It works pretty good but the temp. fluctuates tom much. I want something with a lil more insulation.

The main thing is going to be control of the air, place for adding charcoal, water and control of smoke.

I'm thinking of trimming the lid about 6" from the top. Adding a grate there and a seal. Then adding a door at the bottom and some covered slots then a chimney. Put some firebricks on the inside and motar them in place. Won't be mobile but will get the job done.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 1:40:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've read about some that have firebricks in them and fireplace gaskets and everything. I know the Big Green Egg ones are supposed to be really nice. I have been using a typical factory built one. It works pretty good but the temp. fluctuates tom much. I want something with a lil more insulation.

The main thing is going to be control of the air, place for adding charcoal, water and control of smoke.

I'm thinking of trimming the lid about 6" from the top. Adding a grate there and a seal. Then adding a door at the bottom and some covered slots then a chimney. Put some firebricks on the inside and motar them in place. Won't be mobile but will get the job done.

Seriously, go to capnrob97's link. There is everything you could ever want to know about a drum smoke and a lot more. I spent a couple days on this link one time. I got the drums but haven't started, yet.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 1:48:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously, go to capnrob97's link. There is everything you could ever want to know about a drum smoke and a lot more. I spent a couple days on this link one time. I got the drums but haven't started, yet.

I'm looking at it now and saving pics for stuf I would like to do.

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 1:52:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Big Baby Smoker

I want one of these also.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 1:57:50 PM EDT
[#10]
It is getting closer for me getting my house.... I miss grilling outside, charcoal grilling and smoking so badly the first meal I make in the new place is going to be rib eyes grilled and ribs smoked.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 3:10:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Pretty simple:

- Cut the bottom out
- Drill four or six holes for 3/8" threaded rod
- Insert rods about 6-8" apart vertically
- install 20-22" round grills from HD/Low's etc.
- Put your favorite marinade on the bottom grill in an aluminum pan
- Put your meat on the top two grills
- make or get a container for the coals that are on the bottom.

Here's pics of the one I used to have:

Good luck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top