Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2011 2:57:50 PM EDT
A friend just gave me an Iomega 160GB HDD, purchased in 2003, but never taken out of the box.
Came with Norton Ghost backup software, which says it is incompatible with my Windows 7 system.

What's the best way to back up my computer to that drive?  Buy a more recent version of Norton Ghost?
Buy something else?
Freeware out there on the Interwebz?

Thagyaveramuch.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 3:01:50 PM EDT
In Windows 7, go to the start menu, control panel.  Under system and security the second option is "Back up your computer"

Why buy something when Windows 7 can do it for you?

ETA: I guess this depends on what version of Windows 7 you are running.  What version are you running, Home, Pro, Ultimate?

If you are running Home version of Windows 7 and need to get a third party option, I'd recommend Acronis True Image 2011

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 3:07:04 PM EDT
Indeed, Windows 7 Home.

Tried using the Windows "Create a System Image" and got the msg: "Cannot make a system image on E:/Iomega because not formatted with NTFS."  Thanks, Mr. Gates, that was helpful!
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 3:10:09 PM EDT
In that case like I said, I'd take a look at Acronis.  They have a trial version you can check out.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 3:11:57 PM EDT

double tap

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 3:12:26 PM EDT

Quoted:

Indeed, Windows 7 Home.

Tried using the Windows "Create a System Image" and got the msg: "Cannot make a system image on E:/Iomega because not formatted with NTFS."  Thanks, Mr. Gates, that was helpful!
That's because the external hard drive is not formatted with NTFS.  You can reformat the drive with NTFS, just be aware that all data that is currently on the external hard drive will be erased.  

Right click on the external drive on My Computer, select the format option.  Choose to format it with a NTFS file system.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 8:57:24 PM EDT
I've used this in the past.  Easy to use

todo-backup
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 9:09:39 PM EDT
I use DeltaCopy
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top