Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/13/2006 7:22:14 AM EDT
Now that I'm gettin' a little bit older....I'm losing a little bit of hair on the dome. Not much yet, but I don't want to lose much more either.

What can I do? What has worked for you?

Any suggestions are welcome (including smart ass responses...just make 'em clever okay ).
It would also be nice if you recommended products that weren't $1K a month.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:22:52 AM EDT
[#1]
good genes
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:23:14 AM EDT
[#2]
im just letting mine fall out......
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:23:23 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
good genes

And there it is. Thread over.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:23:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Shave it all off.   Beat father time and piss poor genes to the punch.  

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:24:00 AM EDT
[#5]
drumroll....

and the answer is

GET OVER IT!

Seriously, man.  There are worse things in life than being bald.  I'm starting and my wife digs it.  I just keep buzzing it shorter and shorter.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:25:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Stop wearing baseball hats.  I have worn a baseball hat every day for the last 20 yrs.  Now that my hair is starting to fall out my Doc says to let my head breath a bit.

It's hard to break old habits though.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:27:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:27:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Shave it.  Get over it.

-markl32, shaves head with a clippers and no gaurd once a week.  
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:28:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Welcome it. I'd go "Jean-Luc Picard" if I lost enough hair, but unfortunately it seems to be hanging in there.

My wife prefers me with hair. I would like the ease of maintenance if I had a high & tight or shorter.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:29:48 AM EDT
[#10]
shave:

www.headblade.com/

My hair is receeding a bit, but as soon as it thins or a bald spot develops.....it's all coming off
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:32:24 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Stop wearing baseball hats.  I have worn a baseball hat every day for the last 20 yrs.  Now that my hair is starting to fall out my Doc says to let my head breath a bit.

It's hard to break old habits though.

I hate to break this to ya dude, but your doctor is a moron.  You weren't wearing a fargin' tourniquet on your head.

There wouldn't be a baseball player, football player, soldier or cop on earth with hair if that nonsense was true.  Baldness is, for the most part, genetic.  Period.  
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:33:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Shave it.. Chicks dig bald guys!
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:34:21 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Now that I'm gettin' a little bit older....I'm losing a little bit of hair on the dome. Not much yet, but I don't want to lose much more either.

What can I do? What has worked for you?

Any suggestions are welcome (including smart ass responses...just make 'em clever okay ).
It would also be nice if you recommended products that weren't $1K a month.

Thanks.

don't let it bother ya man. Shave it.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:34:47 AM EDT
[#14]
What does your materinal grandfather's hair look like?  

Patty
PS The Rogaine shampoo does help.  At least it did for me.  
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:34:48 AM EDT
[#15]
So has anyone tried that Rogaine stuff? Does it work?
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:34:55 AM EDT
[#16]
There's nothing you can do to keep it from falling out. You can go bald with dignity, start using minoxodil (which might not work), or shave it off.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:35:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Try fish oil (either pills or liquid).  It may be that you have bad circulation.  Or try a mixture of omega 3, 6, and 9.

If ciculation is a problem, taking omega 3 (or the mix) should help within a month.  Take it 3 times a day.

Else- genes.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:35:33 AM EDT
[#18]
I use Nioxin scalp treament/shampoo.

I'm screwed genetically as "both sides" are bald.

I decided that at 27 I wasn't ready to lose my hair.

This stuff works (for me), but I'm spending more money on haircuts as my hair is growing faster.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:37:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Due to alopecia i've been shaving my head for 8 years. Suck it up and shave!
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:40:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Embrace it.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:42:00 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Shave it.. Chicks dig bald guys!

Unless they look like your avatar, which unfortunately, I do.

Surprisingly though, there are more than I would have thought that for some bizarre reason seem not to care about lack of hair.  Don't get me wrong: most do ( ), but there are some that don't.  If you carry yourself with confidence it helps offset the lack of physical beauty.  I've found that browbeating people does much to make up for the lack of schmoozing ability I had in my younger, more handsome days.

I can't afford women right now, but someday if I ever CAN afford them again, I know that there are at least some that aren't put off by, er, guys that look like your avatar.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:42:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Take it Like a Man.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:43:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Bald is beautiful.
I read, somewhere, that the ancient celts considered baldness a sign of virility. Put on a kilt and embrace your manliness.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:43:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Pre-mature grey hair on one side of the family, receding hairline type baldness on the other.

Best response is a pre-emptive strike--beat mother nature to the punch!  We don't need any more Donald Trump hairdo's in the world...
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:44:24 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
So has anyone tried that Rogaine stuff? Does it work?

IT gave me a rash on my scalp.
worse than being bald.

shave it.
or if that is to traumatic just use a set of clippers with a #2 (1/4") guard.  
once you start you won't go back to the $12-20 haircuts.  
tell the wife to get over herself.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:48:34 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Bald is beautiful.
I read, somewhere, that the ancient celts considered baldness a sign of virility. Put on a kilt and embrace your manliness.

A bald guy in a skirt.  Now that will get'cha chicks.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:53:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Um....DEAL WITH IT! If you go bald you go bald, nothin too it. Society has increasingly become ridiculously vain about this crap. Just be who you are and go with it.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:53:31 AM EDT
[#28]
If you are genetically predisposed to losing your hair, you will lose your hair. Take a look at your mother's father. If he has lost his hair, you will too. The best thing to do is just live with it. It's not the end of the world. Of course, I still have all my hair!
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:56:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Mohawk.  Make the most of what you have left.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 12:33:07 PM EDT
[#30]
If you're serious, and it's early, you can save your hair for around 100 dollars per month as the cost of some treatments.

The first thing you'd want to do is get a prescription for propecia, which is about 60 dollars a month.   Research it, there's good info at the merck website.
Minoxidil 5% is the other side of the standard regimen, applied on the areas you're seeing less hair.
Nizoral shampoo, twice a week (at least this stuff is cheap), left on the scalp for four minutes and rinsed.
nano shampoo and conditioner, used as directed.

You may not need to do all these things.  The difference is night and day for me, after two years.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 12:40:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Hair is for teeniebopers.  Going bald is a rite if passage, embrace it!

Oh, and the chicks dig it.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 12:47:41 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
If you're serious, and it's early, you can save your hair for around 100 dollars per month as the cost of some treatments.

The first thing you'd want to do is get a prescription for propecia, which is about 60 dollars a month.   Research it, there's good info at the merck website.
Minoxidil 5% is the other side of the standard regimen, applied on the areas you're seeing less hair.
Nizoral shampoo, twice a week (at least this stuff is cheap), left on the scalp for four minutes and rinsed.
nano shampoo and conditioner, used as directed.

You may not need to do all these things.  The difference is night and day for me, after two years.

propecia is merely a 1mg pill of finasteride, for which they charge much more than the 5mg pill (which is off patent and used for treating enlarged prostate).  A thrifty person might be able to get a prescription for the 5mg finasteride tablets and cut the pills up.  (I am, of course, not encouraging that you do anything illegal).  I thought I read a paper years ago saying that finasteride was soluble in alcohol.  The author found that the dosage of finasteride needed ws something like .2 mg/day and a person could save a lot of money by taking a 5 mg pill of finasteride, which costs very little, dissolve it in alcohol, and take sufficient drops of the alcohol to get a .2 mg dose per day.  
Here's the article:  LINK

As I recall, Merck and the FDA were pissed at the researcher for suggesting that someone could get the effects of the $54/month propecia treatment for 76 cents/month.  
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 12:56:04 PM EDT
[#33]
shave.

my hair started departing me arround 15.  was not till mid 30's that I grew a big enough pair to shave.

chicks dig rubbing the chome dome now
---
well they did anyway, got married since then
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 12:56:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Just shave it man. Chicks really do dig it.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 1:28:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 1:35:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 1:36:37 PM EDT
[#37]
You could always get one of those super-realistic lifelike looking hairpieces so no one knows you is bald...
...!
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 1:53:10 PM EDT
[#38]
A ol timer once said to "rub chicken shit on your scalp",he sure had a full head of hair, but I am not sure it wasn't genetics,
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 2:12:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Vic Mackey

Sean Connery

Tony Soprano

These guys are all male sex symbols and have little or no hair.  Guys think that we need to be great-looking because that's what we want in women; it ain't true in the reverse.  Girls just want the alpha male.  Be confident and in control and make 'em laugh and you'll do fine.  I'm going bald, but I don't give a shit, and the chicks still dig me.  Of course, I'm married, so it's easy for me to be cocky; I don't have to pretend I don't give a shit - I really don't.  And the ladies love that.  

ETA:  My best buddy is a cop, and seriously balding.  But he wears that uniform and walks around like he owns the place, and would kick an ass in a split second, and guess what?  He gets more ass than a toilet seat.  Reminds me of my days as a single man...

But if you are an insecure puss who's constantly checking your hairline in the mirror, the chicks'll smell desperation a mile away.  And then you are toast.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 2:18:58 PM EDT
[#40]
I have heard castration will help.    
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 2:20:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Apply a daily dathering of jizm juice.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 2:23:34 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Be confident and in control and make 'em laugh and you'll do fine.  I'm going bald, but I don't give a shit, and the chicks still dig me.  Of course, I'm married, so it's easy for me to be cocky; I don't have to pretend I don't give a shit - I really don't.

I'm in the same boat.  The less hair I have, the closer I hit it with the clippers.  Unless your job requires that you have Management Hair, don't bother with any of the expensive treatments.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 2:28:38 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:
good genes

And there it is. Thread over.

Yup. My Playmore's been losing his hair since before he turned 30. (He's in his early 40's now) He keeps it very short normally, so even though it's thinner (male pattern baldness) it looks ok.

FTR? I cannot speak for all of my gender, but I can assure you I will look at a hot man who is balding the same way I'd look at any other hot man...Bald isn't bad...just wear it confidently. Mr Playmore doesn't give a rat's ass about losing his hair, and that's hot. Guys running out to get plugs and rugs (both any reasonably smart woman can spot a mile away and scoff at) are not.

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 2:29:57 PM EDT
[#44]
I have a friend from high school days, a year younger than me, who is going bald fast.

You know what, he is recently divorced, and gets a ton of pie dating various good-looking women.

He is very self-assured, and it never fails to attract the women.  He is the kind of guy that can walk into any bar in America like he owns the place, and have a crowd around him within an hour listening to his stories and stuff.

It is all attitude, not just hair.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 2:32:21 PM EDT
[#45]
I've heard the Propecia? works best.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 2:52:59 PM EDT
[#46]
four things:

1) keep your hair short
2) shampoo EVERY day to get rid of all the sebum and oil on your scalp - vigorously massage your scalp every day when you shampoo
3) eat a balanced diet and make sure to take a basic multivitamin at the very least
4) take separate doses of folic acid and biotin each day with your biggest meal

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 2:54:36 PM EDT
[#47]
It's part of your genes bro. My Dad was bald, as was his Dad. My son prolly will go bald too.

Who gives a fuck! Buy a pair of clippers and buzz it all off. I cut all of mine off with the clippers at zero every three days or so. My wife loves it and actually says I look better than I did when I had hair. Some guys look better with their heads shaved with a razor and some look better with stubble. I tried the razor but prefer a wee bit of stubble a la Bruce Willis.

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 2:55:40 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
I have a friend from high school days, a year younger than me, who is going bald fast.

You know what, he is recently divorced, and gets a ton of pie dating various good-looking women.

He is very self-assured, and it never fails to attract the women.  He is the kind of guy that can walk into any bar in America like he owns the place, and have a crowd around him within an hour listening to his stories and stuff.

It is all attitude, not just hair.

Bingo
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 3:15:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Its just a sign of a high testerone output.  Just look at the next dude you see with a full head of hair and smile because you know YOU can still get it up.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 3:19:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top