Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/29/2015 10:43:39 PM EDT
I want to make a set of endtables for my garage from some old rims laying around.  What would be a good thickness for the glass to make them relatively break resistant?  I was considering acrylic but figure it would scratch to easily.  Should I take the tires off the rims or just leave them on, they look kind of cool with them on.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:33:32 PM EDT
Assuming you're going to use tempered glass (and you absolutely should), 1/4" would be the thinnest acceptable. Better would be 3/8" thick. Going to 1/2 inch would be quite heavy and expensive, but would tolerate much more abuse. The 3/8" is the best compromise between strength, weight, and cost. Don't cheap out on non-tempered glass for that sort of unsupported tabletop.  

BTW, the rim is the part of the wheel that engages the tire. You have wheels, only part of which are the rims. Calling a "wheel" a "rim" started with ghettospeak and is now nearly ubiquitous. It's still wrong, however, in exactly the same way that calling a "cartridge" a "bullet" is wrong.
This GrammarNazi moment brought to you by PigBat
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:37:24 PM EDT
IMHO 1/4 would be plenty strong, just be aware that while you could hit the center of that piece of glass with a hammer and have no damage, a light tap on the edge with the same hammer will result in a bunch of glass fragments.  
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:45:00 PM EDT
This custom glass table top on my buddies dinner table is about 70" in diameter and 1/2" thick - it weighs right around 170 pounds...

If it were me, I'd go with 3/8".

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:46:17 PM EDT
Don't forget to leave room so you can lay underneath it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:46:41 PM EDT
I am  going to go tempered glass on them, mainly so that if the glass breaks it is less likely to cut me in the process.  Plus the extra strength is a bonus.

Here is a pic of the future table.  I think it will be pretty cool when I am done.  I do need to do some cleanup on the rims wheels and decide if I remove the tires or not.

Still need to decide on what engine to make into a table.  Lots of cool ones to choose from.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:51:22 PM EDT
Buy old caprice, add rimmed wheels, profit?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:59:04 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This custom glass table top on my buddies dinner table is about 70" in diameter and 1/2" thick - it weighs right around 170 pounds...

If it were me, I'd go with 3/8".
http://www.dullesglassandmirror.com/glass-weight-calculator.aspx

http://m6.i.pbase.com/g4/72/325172/2/141972186.WaeA3Mrf.jpg

View Quote

That is exceptionally nice.  
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:02:32 AM EDT
Quoted:
Buy old caprice, add rimmed wheels, profit?
View Quote

I get it, they are wheels not rims.  Is it really that unheard of for them to be called rims?  

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:18:42 AM EDT
Is that from the Bugatti that was driven into a lake in Texas?

Agreed that 3/8" tempered glass with chamfered and polished edges is the way to go.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:21:09 AM EDT
Quoted:

Agreed that 3/8" tempered glass with chamfered and polished edges is the way to go.
View Quote

Bugatti = yes
Lake = nope

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:21:43 AM EDT
My coffee table is 3/8, about 4'x2.5' oval, not heavy at all but I bust my leg on it hard as hell all the time and has yet to break.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:23:04 AM EDT
Quoted:

View Quote
Correct answer but 1/2" is common also..
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:31:10 AM EDT
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am going to try to check on prices for 1/2" with chamfered and polished edges and will probably go that route.  Weight isn't too much of a concern, strength is more important since these will be in a garage and will occasionally be subjected to parts laying on them.

Thanks everyone for the input.  
An error occurred on the server when processing the URL. Please contact the system administrator.

If you are the system administrator please click here to find out more about this error.