Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
7/8/2020 3:01:36 PM
Posted: 4/23/2016 4:01:30 PM EDT
As you may or may not know, Pennsy has a no-idling diesel law:

as it of course contributes to global warming global cooling climate change, kills baby seals, and causes hangnail and warts.  Naturally, this law has had exactly zero real-world effect, just like all libtard hair-brained schemes.  The truck drivers, not willing to freeze or cook (I don't blame them), simply park out on the street, where the rule doesn't apply, and idle away to their hearts' content to run the AC/heat.

That being said, purely from an engineering standpoint, it makes about zero sense to idle an ~800 cubic inch engine, just to keep the operator comfortable while he's parked.  I did wonder if it would be possible to have a secondary, small diesel engine, just enough to run an AC compressor, or to provide heat.  And, since you've got about 300 gallons of diesel fuel on tap, it also makes about zero sense to have a secondary, gasoline fuel tank.

So how small can a practical diesel engine be?  I've heard of diesel(!) motorcycles, and sure enough, they've got 'em:

A diesel motorcycle is a motorcycle with a diesel engine. With a traditionally poor power-to-weight ratio, most diesel engines are generally unsuited for use on motorcycles which normally require low weight, compact size, high RPMs and rapid acceleration. In the 1980s, NATO forces in Europe standardized all their vehicles to operate with diesel fuel. Some forces had fleets of motorcycles and trials were conducted with diesel engines on these. Air-cooled single-cylinder engines built by Lombardini of Italy were used and had some success. This led to some countries re-fitting their bikes with diesel engines.

In 2005, the United States Marine Corps adopted the M1030M1, an off-road motorcycle based on the Kawasaki KLR650, and retrofitted it with an engine designed to run on diesel or JP8 jet fuel. Since other U.S. tactical vehicles like the HMMWV utility vehicle and M1 Abrams tank also use JP8, adopting a scout motorcycle which runs on the same fuel would ease logistics.
View Quote

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_motorcycle

If you had a motorcycle that was fast, still achieved anything from 100 to 130 m.p.g. and was able to do that running on a variety of fuels, I'm guessing you'd be a pretty happy biker?

Well it is possible with a modern Diesel fuelled motorcycle.

If you tour regularly, commute or even work as a dispatch rider, you can’t afford to ignore the fact that a motorbike fitted with a modern diesel engine would deliver all those benefits and more.

All the guys here believe that and frustrated that no major manufacturer is a producing a diesel bike have gone ahead and built their own Diese motorcycles - Because M.P.G. matters!
View Quote

http://www.dieselbike.net/

So, I'm guessing a standard Briggs & Stratton-sized engine of about 3 or 4 ponies would be enough to run an AC compressor, or provide heat if water-cooled?  Or, maybe you could make a heat pump that could run off diesel?  A heat pump, as you may know, is a machine that can put out either heat or cold, depending on how you set it.  How practical is my brilliant hair-brained idea?  Could such a beastie run off diesel?
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 4:03:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/23/2016 4:03:42 PM EDT by TescoVee]
Pretty small:

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 4:03:37 PM EDT
They have APU's for tractor trailers already.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 4:04:32 PM EDT
We used these.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 4:07:07 PM EDT
They sell APUs, auxiliary power units, for big rigs. Also diesel fired heaters and battery powered AC units.

If it were me, I'd get a small 10 kw diesel generator on my rig and be cool or warm and cook all I wanted.You could even just use a Honda eu2000.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 4:08:23 PM EDT
It's already been done for many years.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 4:09:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/23/2016 4:09:57 PM EDT by Et2ss]
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 4:12:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/23/2016 4:14:59 PM EDT by bob1946]
Small diesel RC engines are produced so about small enough to fit in the palm of your hand is the smallest and as others have posted APUs already exist.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 4:13:51 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By centex_SR-15:
We used these.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By centex_SR-15:
We used these.

THERMO KING TriPac™
EVOLUTION DIESEL APU

That's what I'm talkin' about!  Seems someone smarter than me has already thot of this!  Gawd, I love the free market, God help us if Bernie or Shrillery get elected, it'd be the death of great ideas...
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 4:14:18 PM EDT

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 4:18:36 PM EDT
Originally Posted By TescoVee:
Pretty small:

https://youtu.be/fOslcPxFK3c

View Quote

That is awesome. Simply awesome.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 4:20:16 PM EDT
you mean like a generator
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 4:20:39 PM EDT
Originally Posted By TescoVee:
Pretty small:

https://youtu.be/fOslcPxFK3c

View Quote

And that is fracking aresome.  Alot of machine time went into making that; it is a working piece of art.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 4:26:16 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Badlatitude:

View Quote
If only RV's had those

Link Posted: 4/24/2016 7:48:03 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Radin79:
If only RV's had those

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Radin79:
Originally Posted By Badlatitude:
If only RV's had those

Welp, that's why I axt.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 8:01:11 AM EDT
Yep, big trucks have APUs, they go for about $7k new. Don't know about now, but used to be able to get an incentive from the EPA towards the purchase of one.

Idling is hard on the engine too, and it clogs up the DPF over time.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 8:03:09 AM EDT
Originally Posted By MattyMattel:
Yep, big trucks have APUs, they go for about $7k new. Don't know about now, but used to be able to get an incentive from the EPA towards the purchase of one.

View Quote

DPF?
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 8:03:14 AM EDT
The RC world has diesel conversions down to 0.049 cubic inches.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 8:17:46 AM EDT
Originally Posted By John_McClane:

DPF?
View All Quotes

DPF?
Diesel Particulate Filter, burns off the soot but not the ash. Can be cleaned once or twice, then it's off to the dealer for another one. New DPFs go for around $5k.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 8:19:16 AM EDT
Diesel Particulate Filter, burns off the soot but not the ash. Can be cleaned once or twice, then it's off to the dealer for another one. New DPFs go for around $5k.
View All Quotes

DPF?

Ow!  Pays for a genny in one swell foop.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 8:25:01 AM EDT
You can thank California for this law. My former employer was based in California.  California started the 5 minutes rule and now requires owners of older trucks to retrofit them to meet newer emissions standards.  Even though the guy who wrote the rule for the California epa had a made up college degree and made up the numbers.  The trucking industry decided not to fight .

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 8:35:08 AM EDT
Originally Posted By whiskerz:
You can thank California for this law. My former employer was based in California.  California started the 5 minutes rule and now requires owners of older trucks to retrofit them to meet newer emissions standards.  Even though the guy who wrote the rule for the California epa had a made up college degree and made up the numbers.  The trucking industry decided not to fight .

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote
And the retrofits are failing too, one company has already gone belly up. The retrofit is asking the engine/ECM to do something it was never designed to do.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 8:51:40 AM EDT
There is also the option of putting a hybrid engine on the trucks a s letting the batteries ha dle the AC.

They haven't hit the semi market yet, but Odyne builds work trucks with that set up.

Although the electric AC was kind of an after thought, and the primary purpose of the hybrid system is to run the bucket hydraulics so they can work later I to the night without annoying residents. But it is also powerful enough they can use the truck as a generator and keep a couple houses powered while working on the electrical grid.
Top Top