Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/15/2017 5:19:09 PM EDT
For some idiotic reason I put my muzzleloader in the safe after shooting a few deer last season without cleaning the barrel.

It's a Thompson Center Omega with a stainless barrel.  I use Triple Seven pellets.

Is it going to be a problem?

Hopefully not because it's absolutely the best shooting muzzleloader I've ever had.... easy cloverleafs at 100 yards since day one.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 5:41:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe ok, may be a tomato stake.

Clean it and see
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 5:42:14 PM EDT
[#2]
It will be fine
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 5:44:19 PM EDT
[#3]
You should be fine.  My grandfather did that but left it for 2 seasons.  We got it cleaned up and it still shoots good.  Too bad grandpa cant shoot for shit
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 5:45:12 PM EDT
[#4]
My guess would be you're not getting off easy. Besides your barrel possibly being pitted, you may not even be able to get your breech plug out. Most people smear a little grease on the threads and that may have helped you if you did, but I think your in for a real pain in the ass. Not sure that a pitted barrel is a really bad thing with a muzzle loader (as compared with a conventional rifle) as most people shoot plastic sabots anyway, but it may affect accuracy a bit. You could well have sulfur crystals growing in your breach plug flash hole too, the proper size wire or letter drill should take care of that.
I hope all turns out well, keep us posted on how you do?
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 5:45:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Just clean it by firing another round through it. You'll be fine.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 5:45:57 PM EDT
[#6]
We have made that mistake with blued barrels, as long as it was dry it is not a problem.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 5:46:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Uh why do t you just clean it then see for yourself?
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 5:48:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Buy more stuff.

Everything is on sale.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 5:48:12 PM EDT
[#9]
It'll be fine.  I've left my encore loaded over a season also.  Zero rust or I'll effects.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 5:48:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Triple 7 = tons of rust. Plug the muzzle and soak the barrel with Ballistol for a few days.

I bought an Encore in a similar state last winter. Took about a week to get the bore somewhat respectable. Using Ballistol, Flitz and several brushes.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 5:49:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It'll be fine.  I've left my encore loaded over a season also.  Zero rust or I'll effects.
View Quote
There's a difference between loaded and fired.

Triple 7 is the most hygroscopic and corrosive BP sub on the market. I ruined an Encore barrel with that mess.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 5:50:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Just clean it by firing another round through it. You'll be fine.
View Quote
If you can shove another loading down the barrel you're probably right, but if it requires too much grunt to get one fully seated, it could cause a dangerous overpressure situation.................
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 6:47:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Uh why do t you just clean it then see for yourself?
View Quote
I'm not going to be able to till next weekend.  Deer hunting is not too far off and it just kind of hit me that I never did clean it
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 6:49:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Dibs on your stuff when it blows up in your face.

Link Posted: 8/15/2017 6:51:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Dex cool thread
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 6:52:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
My guess would be you're not getting off easy. Besides your barrel possibly being pitted, you may not even be able to get your breech plug out. Most people smear a little grease on the threads and that may have helped you if you did, but I think your in for a real pain in the ass. Not sure that a pitted barrel is a really bad thing with a muzzle loader (as compared with a conventional rifle) as most people shoot plastic sabots anyway, but it may affect accuracy a bit. You could well have sulfur crystals growing in your breach plug flash hole too, the proper size wire or letter drill should take care of that.
View Quote
I do add a lot of TC breech plug thread lube so that may not be a problem...... we'll see. Corrosion in the barrel is my main concern.  

May have to buy a new one as I'm not going to screw around too long with this one if it is jacked.  Off to start another thread lol.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:21:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
I do spread a lot of breech plug grease on the threads.  Removed it easily.  Looking thru the barrel ?  Yeah, it looked like a science project with salty looking outcroppings growing.

Put a used primer in and filled the barrel with that pink soapy black powder cleaning stuff.  I don't have high hopes.  Going to drain and check in a few hours.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:31:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Do you recognize the name Xavier Hollander?

You are that screwed.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:56:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Do you recognize the name Xavier Hollander?

You are that screwed.
View Quote
Nope.  Sure don't.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top