Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2004 1:54:52 PM EDT
I have been down a few times but that was a while ago I have a buddy who doesn't live in CA and wanted to check out mexico/TJ for a little day trip.

As I remember its actually kinda fun down there on "Revolution street" Lots of good restaurants and cheap beer.

Lately I have seen alot of stuff in the paper about officials getting waxed and drug lords shooting it out.

Is it fairly safe if you stay on the main drag, probably not too bad as long as you stick together?

I am not too concerned about the Daytime but would amagine it gets alot worse during the night?
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 1:56:44 PM EDT
[#1]
One thing you should look for.  When the girls start partying with you, always check for man hands.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 1:56:53 PM EDT
[#2]
If you're looking for the kind of stuff that attracts most Norteamericanos to Tiajauana, you'll pretty much so have to pay the price. There are other places to buy sombreros and serapes.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 1:59:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Just stay in a very populated area. Dont make eye contact with the police. Oh yeah, dont get drunk. Thats the worst thing you can do.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 2:01:37 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
One thing you should look for.  When the girls start partying with you, always check for man hands.

Yeah alot of homos down there?  

Ok no chicks over 5'3!
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 2:05:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I've been once when I was at the School of Infanty at Camp Pendleton.

We crossed the border at El Ysidro.

My buddy got so trashed from those whistling guys with the Tequila bottles
in holsters that he was "passed-out-but-walking" while I was holding him up
trying to get back accross the border before they closed it.

I was pretty drunk too, and the entire time we had about 6 big-bad ass looking
guys trailing us from the bar to the border....I think they were hoping we would
pass out and they could rob us....I thought for sure we were going to get our asses
kicked..or worse.

Scary as hell, but we made it back accross - my buddy was puking all over the
trolley on the way back from El Ysidro to San Diego....Man, that was fun trip.

I did it once, but wouldn't do it again.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 2:06:02 PM EDT
[#6]
you will get robbed.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 2:07:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Going to see the donkey show?

I went there a few years ago.  It was such a shithole that I went back to the US after 20 minutes.

Because I was there for such a short time, I really got questioned at the border.  They even had the drug dogs sniff the car.

Not a good place to go.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 2:09:10 PM EDT
[#8]
You can get some good tacos from the cart vendors, but a lot of it is dog meat.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 2:13:57 PM EDT
[#9]

TJ is safer than most American cities. Its mostly underage college/high school kids from San Diego. The liquor is cheap and the trinkets are overpriced. Stay on the main streets with the crowds and you will be fine.

Stories of rapes, robberies, murders are greatly overblown and usually the result of poor decision making/drinking not random acts.

The Policia are corrupt, but don't want to see the golden goose (tourism) go away.

TJ is a monument to capitalism, drunkeness and crassness. (which may or may not be a bad thing)  If  you want to see Mexico and real Mexicans, go further South to some of the coastal cities. The people are great.

As with anywhere else: mind your manners, don't burn the locals, tip well and you will be fine. A few words of Spanish help greatly.

-Z

Link Posted: 10/15/2004 2:14:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Sounds like a real shit hole ???
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 2:14:26 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Marines are prohibeted from going down there nowadays.  I have a friend that is in Iraq right now, when he was in S.O.I. earlier this year they were told that all Marines, not just soi marines, were prohibited from going down there.

I went down there back in 96, it was pretty good
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 2:15:36 PM EDT
[#12]
I went once (I was at a conference in San Diego, but it was boring so I jumped on a streetcar and wandered across the border and around Tijuana for an hour or two ), and it seemed pretty safe.

But I would still be a little worried about wandering about the back streets alone or at night.

However, I think the primary reason that it's pretty safe is that everyone there has a vested interest in keeping U.S. tourists and day-trippers coming - so they can overcharge them for drinks, shitty food, and crappy souvenirs - and if it gets too dangerous, they'll lose all that business.  So I fugire the locals themselves probably make sure you won't get too hurt most of the time.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 2:15:37 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

DING DING DING!!! WE HAVE A WINNER!
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 2:16:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Find a vendor selling tortas. They are excellent !! Don't stay after dark and if you do go into the strip[ joints, plan on buying the women a drink. (they will put one on the table anyway,hoping you will buy it for one of the ladies) Been there. Done that.

"TJ is safer than most American cities" Its not true.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 2:20:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Its a shithole. Great place to get mugged, killed, kidnapped, or shook down by the federalies
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 2:23:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 2:24:55 PM EDT
[#17]
It will make you glad to live in America.
saying TJ is a shithole is a understatment.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 2:25:05 PM EDT
[#18]
You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villiany.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 2:26:11 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villiany.

Unless you have a ship with hyperdrive...
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 2:26:19 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Marines are prohibeted from going down there nowadays.  I have a friend that is in Iraq right now, when he was in S.O.I. earlier this year they were told that all Marines, not just soi marines, were prohibited from going down there.

E-3's and below have to get an out-of-bounds chit to go down their. Good luck getting one. My CO did issue them out though. E-4's and up could go down no questions asked.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 2:26:51 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Its a shithole. Great place to get mugged, killed, kidnapped, or shook down by the federalies

TJ is local cops, I have never had any problem with the federales shaking me down, the local cops seem worse.

TJ is a fun place, at night there are alot of clubs and they have some really "fun" strip joints you haven't been to a strip club til you have been to one in TJ. Anything goes...
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 2:29:19 PM EDT
[#22]
I ditched high school a couple of times (late 70's) to go to TJ to "party" and have a good time.
I went there in the mid 80's when I was in the Navy. Things had changed.
Last time I went was with the wife in the mid 90's on a day shopping trip. We left after an hour.

The family used to go to Ensenada, Rosarito and San Felipe on vacation.
It was fun being a kid surfing, riding dirt bikes and shooting guns.
Now days it's all college kids.
Forget about guns.

If you are in the military and are under 18 you can be arrested for underage drinking in TJ, and if you try and cross the boarder while drunk no matter your age your ass can be hauled off by either Shore Patrol, CHP's or the SD Sheriff's.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 2:33:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Good place to get the clap
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 2:40:12 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

If you are in the military and are under 18 you can be arrested for underage drinking in TJ, and if you try and cross the boarder while drunk no matter your age your ass can be hauled off by either Shore Patrol, CHP's or the SD Sheriff's.

Yeah I dont think you are even suppose to cross by yourself if your a minor.

But what does being in the military have to do with it?
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 3:22:53 PM EDT
[#25]
I know of three people from my patrol area that died in TJ this summer.  One died of "natural causes" in a motel room. One overdosed on Meth, which is pretty difficult.  the most recent was shot and killed becuase he ran from the police.

"Mistakes" that would land you in the ER or drunk tank in the US will end your life in TJ.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:17:43 PM EDT
[#26]
if your feeling down on your luck visit some of the girls at the chicago club you will feel great for a week!
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:26:34 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Dont make eye contact with the police. Oh yeah, dont get drunk. Thats the worst thing you can do.

If you are stopped by the police, have enough cash on you to save yourself the trouble of going to jail.  Also, learn how to properly pronounce, "Officer, can I pay the fine right here?"  in Spanish.

That saved me a trip to the crowbar motel in Mexico one time.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:35:26 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

If you are stopped by the police, have enough cash on you to save yourself the trouble of going to jail.  Also, learn how to properly pronounce, "Officer, can I pay the fine right here?"  in Spanish.

yeah thats real true, I used "Dinero y no mas problemas amigo" and it got me off.

whats the proper way to say fine?
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:44:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Walk across.. dont drive. Go with someone who speaks spanish if you can.. I lived in SD for a long time, and would go south with my dad who was a language prof at SD State.. Never had a prob..

John
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:50:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Park a shitty car @ CA side of the border, walk across, and don't pay anymore than $1 per person for a taxi to revolut'ion(they will wait and pack the car, buck a head) go around the block to"the house" no tequila, only beer(trust me), drink your ass off and enjoy the 18YO CA hotties. Save money for a cab ride back to the border, get there before it closes. Don't drink in public or piss out on the street(or alley) don't explore other neighborhoods. Avoid any fights. keep some spare cash in your shoe or sock, don't eat food from street vendors. skip the donkey show(newbies will get girls dancing with donkey masks on, until you have the know to see the real one) stay out of the whorehouses, if you end up in a club with not many people, and mexican girls come over and sit with you they are Ho's and it's a Ho spot. HAve fun, it's safe if you follow these rules.

*probably have a price on my head in Mex.*
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 5:30:30 PM EDT
[#31]
HAHAHA im with Aut, i probably have a bounty on my head in mexico.

and yes TJ is off limits to Marines SOI or otherwise. but lemme tell you....TJ on a saturday night so so deep in jarheads you think 1MEF had dropped the ramp on the beach. and for some reason all the navy chicks who treat their ass like buried treasure on base are more than happy to give it away in TJ.... go figure.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 5:54:33 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
stay out of the whorehouses, *.*

WHAT??? NO thats part of the fun! I wouldn't fuck em but a little suckey suckey never hurt no one!
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 6:15:27 PM EDT
[#33]
TJ is great but it is easy to get rolled if you're stumblin drunk in an alley.  TJ whores.....rubbers, we don't need no stinkin rubbers.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 9:13:52 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
TJ is great but it is easy to get rolled if you're stumblin drunk in an alley.  TJ whores.....rubbers, we don't need no stinkin rubbers.  

Wow if there was ever a situation that called for one that would be it!
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 10:48:55 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
yeah thats real true, I used "Dinero y no mas problemas amigo" and it got me off.

whats the proper way to say fine?

multa = fine pronounced like MOOL-ta  the "mool" rhymes with "drool" that type of "oo" sound.  Consult your local spanish speaker.

"Senor, puedo pagar la multa ahora?"  "Mister, can I pay the fine right now?"

Once again, consult a spanish speaker for proper pronounciation.  That is probably the most important question you can learn to ask!
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 3:13:22 AM EDT
[#36]
The reason the Military gets involved is the Sailors and Marines from various bases in San Diego go there and find a variety of ways to get in trouble.  The San Diego Trolley goes right to the border, there is no need to drive down there.  Catch a taxi to Calle Revolucion.  Do it in the day be smart.

As far as Off-Limits, well there is apparently a cycle, just like the cycle on Liberty Cards.  If things get too bad, it goes Off-Limits, the $$ stop flowing, the policia and other groups clean things up, the Off-Limits goes away and so on.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 4:35:19 AM EDT
[#37]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:
stay out of the whorehouses, *.*
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WHAT??? NO thats part of the fun! I wouldn't fuck em but a little suckey suckey never hurt no one!

Well then it's $50 for the girl, and $10 for the room.

"get in the car boys, we're goin' south"
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 4:52:05 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

E-3's and below have to get an out-of-bounds chit to go down their. Good luck getting one. My CO did issue them out though. E-4's and up could go down no questions asked.

That sucks. Back in the 80s 29 Palms MWR used to run busses to TJ for the guys and Chippendales for the girls. Round trip was some super low price ($10?) and you had a ride both ways so you could get hammered.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:40:32 AM EDT
[#39]
HAHAHA that doesnt suprise me. the leadership at 29-palms seems to want people to get laid. the first thursday after 7th Marines left for a float the E-club put up a banner "LADIES NIGHT"  hahahahaha  guess where we were chillin every thursday.

MWR at the stumps has the "single Marine program" 4 Marines can get a cabin at lake havasue and a van to get there for $56 each. oooooohh yes we soiled many many college girls at "lake have-a-screw"
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:57:58 AM EDT
[#40]
Watch out for the cops down there. There about as crooked as they come. If you get arrested you can buy your way out most times. But you'd better have a deep wallet.

In general i stayed away from TJ and only ended up there once. Nonetheless once was enough for me.

Stay away from the guys with the Tequila bottles and the whistles as well. Their known to dump half a bottle or more down your throat while shaking your head vigorously. Ever have alcohol poisoning?! TJ aint on my list of fun places to go.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:54:41 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Stay away from the guys with the Tequila bottles and the whistles as well. Their known to dump half a bottle or more down your throat while shaking your head vigorously. Ever have alcohol poisoning?! TJ aint on my list of fun places to go.

yeah, that tequila messes you up fast.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 11:00:22 AM EDT
[#42]
Well, TJ went to TJ in the late 80's and got stabbed in the leg and grazed my rib cage by some banditos.

I won't go back again.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 11:02:29 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Well, TJ went to TJ in the late 80's and got stabbed in the leg and grazed my rib cage by some banditos.

I won't go back again.

did that kinda put a damper on the trip?

Link Posted: 10/18/2004 11:05:12 AM EDT
[#44]
Its was rough the last time I visited. That was almost ten years ago, but I think its safe to assume it has not gotten any safer.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 11:05:49 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I won't go back again.

did that kinda put a damper on the trip?

Well, it ruined a nice pair of Nike cross trainers.My right shoe filled up with blood.Kinda like when you walk in the rain and it squishes when wet with water only with blood

That's what I get for being a handsome bastard and the chicks dancing with me.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 11:16:23 AM EDT
[#46]
It's a cesspool.  Stay home, unless of course you like that sort of thing.  
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 11:19:22 AM EDT
[#47]
I went there in 1987. I wasn't impressed. I have no desire to go back. Same goes with Nogales and Juarez. The wife wanted to go when we were in Arizona a few years ago. We were there about an hour and she had seen enough.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 6:45:09 PM EDT
[#48]
71 was my first and last trip,I barely got out with my life!!!  I lived in Redondo Beach at the time and forgot  to bring a jacket the ride home on a Snorting Norton Atlas was all I could stand!!!

Don't ever go there alone!!!!!   You would be safer in Iraq!!!!

Bob
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 6:46:43 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

It is a shit hole...been there many times!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top