http://www.buckstix.com/images/deer2.jpg
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:09:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:35:48 AM EDT
[#2]
WTF
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:38:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Grapeshot/cannister load from a 12lb cannon......

Whatever......
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:39:33 AM EDT
[#4]
*sniff sniff* ......I smell manure.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:40:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Thats just pathetic to me, what 7 or 8 shots to kill the thing.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:43:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Dang, any one of those shots should have been good enough for a killing shot.  Either someone got real bad buck fever and got trigger happy or it was hit with a load of buck shot. What's the story behind this kill, inquiering minds want to know,LOL.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:43:31 AM EDT
[#7]
At a loss for words, that shit just aint right.....
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:45:23 AM EDT
[#8]
That's not even funny. Real men have enough respect for the game to....aw, heck, why bother, I'm gonna get flamed either way....
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:46:09 AM EDT
[#9]
If ya'll had bothered to go look at the url posted, he's "hunting" with a replica 12lbr cannon.

Cool photos on how me made the cannon and all the accessories.

Hunting with it just seems kind of wrong though....
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:47:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:47:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Follow the link:

www.buckstix.com/howitzer.htm

Hilarious, actually. Check out the other stuff on the page-how to build a Mountain Howitizer. Fascinating, and for less than the price of an MG...I am gettin a bug here. I now think I want my own artillery piece. My wife is going to be PISSED.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:50:29 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
That's not even funny. Real men have enough respect for the game to....aw, heck, why bother, I'm gonna get flamed either way....

Yep, might as well not even try, Oh Great White Cat Hunter, LOL.
Ya'll do know that I'm just hackin' on ya' don't ya'?  
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:51:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Kool In a Civil War sort of way??
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:57:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:58:33 AM EDT
[#15]
yeah......thats manly.....
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 10:01:40 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
If ya'll had bothered to go look at the url posted, he's "hunting" with a replica 12lbr cannon.

That don't got shit to do with it. It's still  disrespectful to the animal, and to the sport of hunting. Didn;t know you could legaly hunt with a canon anywhere though.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 10:08:04 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Follow the link:

www.buckstix.com/howitzer.htm

Hilarious, actually. Check out the other stuff on the page-how to build a Mountain Howitizer. Fascinating, and for less than the price of an MG...I am gettin a bug here. I now think I want my own artillery piece. My wife is going to be PISSED.

Just do like I do.  Ask forgiveness AFTER.  On the bright side,  I'm not aware of any restrictions on the size of muzzleloaders used for hunting.  

I'll check.  I have the game warden on speed dail.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 10:10:06 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Maybe they just should've live-trapped it.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 10:13:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Wow! If you hunted at night with a light you could shoot a whole herd with one shot.

GM
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 10:14:10 AM EDT
[#20]
From the site:

And, it was done without damaging a  single point of this nice Buck's 8 point Rack.

He did, however, ruin a SHITLOAD of perfectly good venison.  Whatever.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 10:17:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Great the idiot is from Wisconsin
Guess what it's illegal for him to hunt with that thing.

Firearm and Bow Restrictions:
General Restrictions
It is illegal to:
• hunt with a fully automatic firearm.
• hunt with any means other than a gun discharged from the shoulder or a bow
and arrow. Handguns may be used as described under the “handgun section”
(page 9). Crossbows may be used as described under the “bows, arrows, and
crossbows section” (page 9).

Muzzleloaders
• Smoothbore .45 caliber or larger and rifled .40 caliber or larger, discharged
from the shoulder, are legal for deer hunting. During the 10-day muzzleloader
only season (Nov. 29 - Dec. 8), must have a solid threaded breach plug, only
able to be loaded from the muzzle, and may not have telescopic sights (1 power
or less are legal). Note: Inline muzzleloaders are legal to use during the 10-
day muzzleloader hunt with black powder or black powder substitute.
• Muzzleloaders may be used in all regular deer season zones and firearm herd-control
hunts.
• Muzzle-loading handguns .44 caliber and larger with a minimum barrel length
of 7 inches measured from muzzle to breech face, that fire a single projectile
weighing 138 grains or more are legal for deer hunting.

Link Posted: 8/19/2004 10:18:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Oh come on ya'll . . . this is great!

How many of you own an authentic Civil War style cannon

He whacked the deer with canister shot . . too cool.  I'll bet the animal suffered less than if he was hit by a rifle.  It also looks as though there is plenty of meat for the eating.

Loosen up a little for God's sake.

_Disconnector_
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 10:19:56 AM EDT
[#23]
At least it’s original.
Every one knows “real” hunters use sniper rifles.

Link Posted: 8/19/2004 10:21:24 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

General Restrictions
It is illegal to:
• hunt with any means other than a gun discharged from the shoulder or a bow
and arrow. Handguns may be used as described under the “handgun section”
(page 9). Crossbows may be used as described under the “bows, arrows, and
crossbows section” (page 9).

Muzzleloaders
• Smoothbore .45 caliber or larger and rifled .40 caliber or larger, discharged
from the shoulder, are legal for deer hunting. During the 10-day muzzleloader
only season (Nov. 29 - Dec. 8), must have a solid threaded breach plug, only
able to be loaded from the muzzle, and may not have telescopic sights (1 power
or less are legal). Note: Inline muzzleloaders are legal to use during the 10-
day muzzleloader hunt with black powder or black powder substitute.
• Muzzleloaders may be used in all regular deer season zones and firearm herd-control
hunts.
• Muzzle-loading handguns .44 caliber and larger with a minimum barrel length
of 7 inches measured from muzzle to breech face, that fire a single projectile
weighing 138 grains or more are legal for deer hunting.

Not to argue with you, but since it IS a muzzle loader, the only thing that makes it illegal for him to hunt that way is that it is not a shoulder-fired muzzleloader?

<grrr>legalese</grrrr>
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 10:23:05 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That don't got shit to do with it. It's still  disrespectful to the animal, and to the sport of hunting. Didn;t know you could legaly hunt with a canon anywhere though.

That wasn't really referring to you -- it was more directed at the "wow he was trigger happy" crowd....

and I agree...."hunting" with it is wrong, unless you're in full TEOTWAWKI survival mode.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 10:25:13 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Oh come on ya'll . . . this is great!

How many of you own an authentic Civil War style cannon

He whacked the deer with canister shot . . too cool.  I'll bet the animal suffered less than if he was hit by a rifle.  It also looks as though there is plenty of meat for the eating.

Loosen up a little for God's sake.

_Disconnector_

Yah it;s cool till somone from the WDNR sees it. Than they'll take his house, car, guns,canon, business and damn near everything else. As well as some jail time and a phat monitary fine. the WDNR don't play games.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 10:25:36 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
General Restrictions
It is illegal to:
• hunt with any means other than a gun discharged from the shoulder...

Just need to have a REALLY LONG and REALLY SOFT stock put on it...

How similar is this to fishing with dynamite?
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 10:27:33 AM EDT
[#28]
A real man experience:

A one time very good friend of mine that I used to hunt with was the type who could could catch 12 lb bass in a bathtub. Incredible outdoorsman, I'd sit in a treestand for hours and he's sit for 10 minutes then go off stalking. He'd come back dragging all kinds of game, most of it illegal to take (that's why I quit hunting with him). Once was caught hunting buffalo in a State Park (in FL). Another time he shot & killed a Blue Heron roosting in a cypress tree with a 30-30 from a canoe that I was paddling (I was in front and had no idea what he was up to).  Anyway, he was riding on the highway thru the deer woods as we call it in FL and the driver in front of him hit a deer in the hind quarter as it crossed the road. The deer was a little stunned and it got hung up as it was trying to leap the fence on the other side of the road. Well my buddy jumps out of his truck with nothing more than a boy scout pocket knife and jumps on the deer, wrestling to the ground all the while stabbing it in the neck with this pocket knife. He killed it. He was bruised from one end to the other from the deer kicking him but he succeeded. On another hunt, I loaned him my Ruger Old Army black powder revolver and he killed a spike buck with it. If he had stayed on the right side of the law, he could have been a TV Outdoors personality or at least a successful guide.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 10:27:40 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That wasn't really referring to you -- it was more directed at the "wow he was trigger happy" crowd....

and I agree...."hunting" with it is wrong, unless you're in full TEOTWAWKI survival mode.

But even than the canister shot is better served being saved for more critical times, like a horde of MZBs rushing yer "compound"
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 10:30:51 AM EDT
[#30]
One more reason why I dont hunt. Idiots like that might be stalking the woods.

What a fucking moron.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 10:34:32 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

What a fucking moron.

good too many people in the woods anyway
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 10:35:32 AM EDT
[#32]
smells like a photoshop/cooked up story to me.

I am an archery hunter and do respect game, but for some reason this doesn't bother me as bad as the millions of chumps we have driving around potting game with a .22lr. Or the jokers that party hunt (I FRICKIN hate party hunting)

If you've got the gumption to build a canon, haul it all the way up the mountain, position it where a whitetail might cross and not use bait, and wind up getting him with a mountain canon, I think you've done your homework.  I wouldn't have been any more "sporting" or harder with a muzzleloader, or a .300 mag.  

I'm still working it out but  it seems like it might not be that easy as just hauling a canon out and blasting away. He's basically using a humungous muzzleloader.

Link Posted: 8/19/2004 10:37:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Good shot.  And I don't see any ruined meat.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 10:37:53 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

What a fucking moron.

LOL!

Not doing much "stalking" with an artillery piece!

It was an unethical kill.

End of story.

This is the kind of shit that fucks it up for the rest of us.

Edited to add that "real" men hunt with a friggen' pointed stick! The rest of us are just posers.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 10:38:12 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I am an archery hunter and do respect game, but for some reason this doesn't bother me as bad as the millions of chumps we have driving around potting game with a .22lr.

My Great Uncle Jim hunted with a .22lr for years..... Deer & all.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 10:39:31 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I am an archery hunter and do respect game, but for some reason this doesn't bother me as bad as the millions of chumps we have driving around potting game with a .22lr.

My Great Uncle Jim hunted with a .22lr for years..... Deer & all.

My great great, great grandpa used a spear-----------------
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 10:47:24 AM EDT
[#37]
If this kind of thing was widespread, I would disapprove.   But one guy doing it and posting pix has some definite "cool" factor.

ANy more of it and I'd say cut the shit.

- BUCC_Guy
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 10:56:09 AM EDT
[#38]
For the amount and size of holes it doesn't appear to be bloodshot???

MT
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 11:23:39 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
If this kind of thing was widespread, I would disapprove.   But one guy doing it and posting pix has some definite "cool" factor.

ANy more of it and I'd say cut the shit.

- BUCC_Guy

I disaprove simple because of safety issues. Where did the rest of the shot go? Any other hunters in the area? Not to mention that it's illegal, which the guy should have check before he did it. And that would have been as simple as looking in the little hunting regs book they give ya when you buy the damn deer tag.

But hey if he figures the kick of hunting with an illegal weapon and potentialy putting others in danger is worth the risk of losing his business, home, cars, guns and doing some jail time.................
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 11:25:28 AM EDT
[#40]
He knew it was illegal before he did it.  Took all of the appropriate "safety" precautions.

Some people...
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 11:37:39 AM EDT
[#41]
Wow... uh, "holey" sheeeiit?
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 11:41:35 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
He knew it was illegal before he did it.  Took all of the appropriate "safety" precautions.

Some people...

looks like yer right he knew it was illegal

( by the way ... it is advisable to have a 12 gage shotgun with you, with plenty of empty fired shell cases, when you hunt with a Mtn. Howitzer. -  details will follow )

6.  With the quiet of the morning shattered with a loud BOOM ... you've done it.  You've shot a deer with a Mountain Howitzer.  DO NOT CHECK FOR A BLOOD TRAIL IMMEDIATELY AFTER SHOOTING.  First, pick-up your 12 gage shotgun ( with the  pocket full of empty fired cases you brought with you ) and FINISH STEP 7.

7. QUICKLY COVER THE MOUNTAIN HOWITZER WITH A CAMOUFLAGED TARP,  AND QUICKLY PICK UP ALL THE DANGER TAPE.  You may wish to practice these steps so you can do it very quickly.  ( hint: paint the inside of your mountain howitzer travel tarp in a camo pattern, then simply turn it inside-out for hunting )
8.  Now,  "GET THE HELL OUT OF THE AREA UNTIL THE SMOKE HAS CLEARED"  ( it may take up to 30 minutes for the smoke to dissipate depending on the particular area and wind conditions )  Move  away from the howitzer by one-half mile, or more.  Sit down and eat your lunch.  Keep an eye on the area from a distance, making sure there are no nosey hunters that wander over to see what all the noise ( and smoke ) was about.  In the unlikely event that a crowd of unknown hunters should wander over, play dumb, talk with your mouth full, and entice them away from the area of the howitzer.  If they comment about the "smell of rotten eggs" ( the sulfur form the 1/2 pound of black powder you just shot )  tell them you've been eating a lot hard boiled eggs in your lunch.  If they discover the Mountain Howitzer Cannon, tell them that they are trespassing on private land, and threaten to call the Sheriff.  

9.  After the smoke ( and the coast ) has cleared, go back and start trailing your deer.  However, if you did everything correctly with your howitzer, the deer will likely be dead on the spot ... and won't need any trailing.

It would be a good idea to drag the deer away from the cannon area before starting to field dress him, just in case other hunters wander over.  Now is also a good time to spread-out lots of those fired 12 gage empties.

10.   In the event that you do have unscheduled on-lookers while you are field dressing the deer, ( especially if a Game Warden happens by )  be ready to explain to him that you got very, very, excited and that you kept shooting your "12 gage shotgun" until the deer finally went down.  Tell him you fired "at least as many times as you find holes in the deer".  Take him over and show him all the empty cases ( which you previously spread-out far away from the Mountain Howitzer )  Act very, very, excited and be very, very, convincing.  ( your freedom may depend on it )  You may need to tell him that you had to reload, two or even three times, depending on the number of holes you find in the deer.  ( the pattern of your individual mountain howitzer cannon will dictate the extent of your tale )  However, if you shot your deer at less than 100 yards, this may not work at all, and you will now be in big trouble.  ( Hopefully the Judge will have a sense of humor when he exclaims to the Game Warden, .............. "You telling me he actually shot a Deer with a Mountain Howitzer Cannon?" )

This guy is a fucking asshat. If he honestly didn;t think he was commiting acrime there would be no need for the spent 12ga shells or any of the rest of it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 11:44:34 AM EDT
[#43]
I wonder if WDNR will want to talk to him when they see this?

Link Posted: 8/19/2004 11:46:49 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I wonder if WDNR will want to talk to him when they see this?

I think he'd better have a cook out and eat the evidence fast before he get's busted. LOL
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 11:48:23 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

What a fucking moron.

That's why I hunt private property.

This guy is a moron
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 12:06:00 PM EDT
[#46]
I for one think the article was interesting, the concept was fabulous, and his experience was not only unique to himself but also to folks in general.  Not many times has that happened.

Personally, I've seen more meat wasted by folks using a 270 Winchester on deer.

Sly

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top