Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/18/2005 5:41:39 PM EDT
So a new Goodwill store opened down the street.   On my way to work I pass by it everyday......and everyday I notice BMW's, Lincolns, Caddys and occasionally a Mercedes or Porsche in the parking lot.

These people are NOT donating, I have seen them walking back to their overpriced luxury car carrying bags from the store.

The wife drives a Buick and I drive an MG.  We are not wealthy by any means but we NEVER have had to shop at Goodwill.

What gives?

Link Posted: 5/18/2005 5:43:35 PM EDT
[#1]
All their money went to those cars...

Don't stereotpye people...I live in the richer part of my town...but I'm by no means rich.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 5:44:52 PM EDT
[#2]
They have money because they don't waste it on things that wear out.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 5:45:52 PM EDT
[#3]
When you give something to Goodwill, it doesn't mean some poor person will wind up wearing it - it gets sold to raise money for the poor.  At least that's how I understand it.

From their website:

How We Operate

Donors play a pivotal role in our ability to fulfill our mission. Goodwill collects donated clothing and household goods, then sells these items in over 2,000 retail stores throughout North America and abroad, and on our Internet auction site, shopgoodwill.com.

Goodwill also generates revenue by helping community-based businesses fill gaps caused by labor shortages, time constraints and limited space or equipment. We train and employ industrial and service contract workers to fill outsourced needs for packaging, assembly, mailing, custodial work, groundskeeping, and more. General Motors, Briggs & Stratton, and the U.S. Navy, Marines, Air Force and Army are among those who’ve tapped into our services.

More than 84 percent of Goodwill’s total revenues are channeled into education and career services, as well as other critical community programs.

Link Posted: 5/18/2005 5:45:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Almost no one NEEDS to shop at Goodwill. It's a good place, is all. There's one near where I ski, and at the end of the season you can get $75 fleeces and stuff for $5. What's not to like? Get past the pride thing and save some money for ammo
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 5:50:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Goodwill stores in good part of town = MILF CENTRAL!!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 5:54:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Hell, any time I'm looking for a specific piece of furniture I shop the Goodwill type stores in the more affluent parts of San Diego.  Some awesome buys.  Best friend of mine found a kickass 3 piece suit in just his size for $20.  Sure it was probably leftover from some old guys estate...but it's not like he's gonna miss it.

Rich people are rich because they don't waste money.

Do you think good will should do a credit check before allowing somebody to buy something?
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 5:55:19 PM EDT
[#7]
My parents shop at teh goodwill outlets all the time.  They sell 95% on ebay for a very high mark up.

-Fidel
Out
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 5:57:18 PM EDT
[#8]
From an email:

Subject: A father and his son
One day a father of a very wealthy family took his son on a trip to the
country with the firm purpose of showing his son how poor people live.
They
spent a couple of days and nights on the farm of what would be
considered a
very poor family.
On their return from their trip, the father asked his son, "How was the
trip?"
"It was great, Dad."
"Did you see how poor people live?" the father asked.
"Oh yeah," said the son.
"So, tell me, what did you learn from  the trip?"  asked the father.
The son answered: "I saw that we have one dog and they had four. We have
a
pool that reaches to the middle of our garden and they have a creek that
has
no end. We have imported lanterns in our garden and they have the stars
at
night. Our patio reaches to the front yard and they have the whole
horizon.
We have a small piece of land to live on and they have fields that go
beyond
our sight. We have servants who serve us, but they serve others. We buy
our
food, but they grow theirs. We have walls around our property to protect
us,
they have friends to protect them."
The boy's father was speechless.
Then his son added, "Thanks, Dad, for showing me how poor we are."
Isn't perspective a wonderful thing?  Makes you wonder what would happen
if
we all gave thanks for everything we have, instead of worrying about
what we
don't have. Appreciate every single thing you have, especially your
friends!

Danny
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 5:57:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Why pay $50.00 for a shirt when you can go to goodwill and buy it for $2.00?

That's what we do!!

GR
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 6:00:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Its not about how much you make, Its about how much you keep.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 6:01:23 PM EDT
[#11]
I dunno.. explain why I see people who buy groceries with food stamps drive nice BMWs?
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 6:07:17 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Its not about how much you make, Its about how much you keep.

And this is why a good accountant is indispensable.

Quoted:
From an email:

Subject: A father and his son
One day a father of a very wealthy family took his son on a trip to the
country with the firm purpose of showing his son how poor people live.
They
spent a couple of days and nights on the farm of what would be
considered a
very poor family.
On their return from their trip, the father asked his son, "How was the
trip?"
"It was great, Dad."
"Did you see how poor people live?" the father asked.
"Oh yeah," said the son.
"So, tell me, what did you learn from  the trip?"  asked the father.
The son answered: "I saw that we have one dog and they had four. We have
a
pool that reaches to the middle of our garden and they have a creek that
has
no end. We have imported lanterns in our garden and they have the stars
at
night. Our patio reaches to the front yard and they have the whole
horizon.
We have a small piece of land to live on and they have fields that go
beyond
our sight. We have servants who serve us, but they serve others. We buy
our
food, but they grow theirs. We have walls around our property to protect
us,
they have friends to protect them."
The boy's father was speechless.
Then his son added, "Thanks, Dad, for showing me how poor we are."
Isn't perspective a wonderful thing?  Makes you wonder what would happen
if
we all gave thanks for everything we have, instead of worrying about
what we
don't have. Appreciate every single thing you have, especially your
friends!

Danny

Good stuff!
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 6:08:41 PM EDT
[#13]
I am surprised that no one mentioned the whole thrift/vintage fashion thing. That's what I would say the main reason is.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 6:09:59 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I dunno.. explain why I see people who buy groceries with food stamps drive nice BMWs?

You do not understand.

People donate stuff to Goodwill. Goodwill sells this stuff in their stores to make money to support their programs and a lot of it is good stuff. Goodwill stores are not really intended for poor people.

You can find real deals and save a lot of money at Goodwill.

And let me throw a clue at you people who want to look down your nose at shopping at Goodwill stores… one of the best ways to save money and maybe end up rich is not to spend money you do not have to… if you can buy what you want at the Goodwill at a fraction of the price that is smart.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 6:12:24 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You do not understand.

People donate stuff to Goodwill. Goodwill sells this stuff in their stores to make money to support their programs and a lot of it is good stuff. Goodwill stores are not really intended for poor people.

You can find real deals and save a lot of money at Goodwill.

And let me throw a clue at you people who want to look down your nose at shopping at Goodwill stores… one of the best ways to save money and maybe end up rich is not to spend money you do not have to… if you can buy what you want at the Goodwill at a fraction of the price that is smart.

Easier to save a dollar than to make a dollar. I shop at New-To-You (the equivalent of it).
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 6:17:08 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Easier to save a dollar than to make a dollar. I shop at New-To-You (the equivalent of it).

Yea... my dad told me you SPEND a small portion of your life for every dollar you earn. When you spend that dollar you are spending part of you life… so spend wisely.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 6:18:48 PM EDT
[#17]
In my experiance the poorer people I know own more expensive clothes than the rich people I know (formal attire excluded). Rich people know they are rich, they don't feel the need to blow lots of money on expensive clothes, lots of rich kids think its cool to look like you don't have money to waste on clothes. Poor people think other people will respect them if they waste money on clothes. With a thought process like that, its not surprising they are poor.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 6:19:06 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yea... my dad told me you SPEND a small portion of your life for every dollar you earn. When you spend that dollar you are spending part of you life… so spend wisely.

I like that!
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 6:24:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 6:28:14 PM EDT
[#20]

I find more common very rich people who don't spend money on anything.

I have a friend in his late 30's,  loaded with dough, worth just under 1 million, who goes into
discount stores with me, and digs through irregular clothes bins, happy at finding an irregular
sweatshirt for $3.00 in his size.

Link Posted: 5/18/2005 6:29:00 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I love going to Goodwill and the Salvation Army store.  Thrift shopping can be like going on a treasure hunt.  Quite often they will have things like Dooney & Bourke, Coach, or even Gucci bags in great condition for very good prices.  I've also seen first edition Stephen King hardbacks in the $2 bin.  Occasionally someone will not notice there's an autograph in a book.

People who are rich and STAY rich are that way for a reason -- and it's not because they spend indiscriminately.  

I know a fellow who bought a piece of pottery at the thrift store and sold it on E-bay for close to $400.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 6:29:10 PM EDT
[#22]
It's called smart shopping.

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 6:29:56 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
The only thing I find odd is that they blow so much on cars, and are so frugal with clothes.

They bought them used, 1-3 years old with 50k or fewer miles on them.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 6:30:44 PM EDT
[#24]
My family shops at Goodwill/Salvation Army occasionally.  It's surprising what you can get there.  
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 6:35:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Shoes and jeans. kids grow out of them in 3 months. 50 cent shoes and 2 dollar levi jeans make me very happy
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 7:47:22 PM EDT
[#26]
WOW.  This thread has been very incitefull.   I was always under the impression that the Goodwill store was for the "Welfare folks", bums and the rehabilitation "clients" that Goodwill "rehabilitated".

Now I can add Arfcom members to the list!  <------ LOL  Just kidding!

Seriously though, now I have to go and check it out for myself.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 8:24:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 8:26:14 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
To tell you the truth, I rarely buy anything full-price.  I like name brand clothes for my kids because they are more durable, but I will go to thrift or consignment stores to buy them, or I will wait until Old Navy Online or the local stores are having their end-of-season blowouts and buy a load of clothes for the next year.  Last August I went to a local childrens' boutique clothing store and bought $700 of clothes for under $200, and outfitted both my girls for the school year.

I see no sense in paying full price for anything if you don't have to, but I am a chronic bargain junkie.  

In my experience, Old Navy and durable have been mutually exclusive.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 8:46:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 11:13:16 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
WOW.  This thread has been very incitefull.   I was always under the impression that the Goodwill store was for the "Welfare folks", bums and the rehabilitation "clients" that Goodwill "rehabilitated".

Look up Goodwill in your phonebook and go to the one in the most affluent part of your area.  You'd be suprised what you find.

The real dedicated folks know the patterns on when stuff comes in, be it trucked from other locations or when most people donate.  Kindof like a 50% off sale every week at Nordys...but for people with press on nails and telephone cord hair clips.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 11:16:24 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Look up Goodwill in your phonebook and go to the one in the most affluent part of your area.  You'd be suprised what you find.

The real dedicated folks know the patterns on when stuff comes in, be it trucked from other locations or when most people donate.  Kindof like a 50% off sale every week at Nordys...but for people with press on nails and telephone cord hair clips.

Hell here all the Goodwill shops are in affluent parts of town.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 11:26:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Ditto on finding good stuff there, while helping others through your purchase. I've often done the "Round-Up" deal like with the NRA, and let them keep the change to help out a little more.
 Here in our small town we don't have Salvation Army, but little church resale shops where the proceeds either help feed the hungry (locals) or help fund someone in the local nursing home. We donate stuff to them all the time.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 11:36:07 PM EDT
[#33]
I myself wouldn't shop at goodwill simply because I am a germ freak. If not I wouldn't mind picking up a pair of older jeans that fit nice, do you know what a pair of freaking worn out new jeans cost! $130
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 12:04:04 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
When you give something to Goodwill, it doesn't mean some poor person will wind up wearing it - it gets sold to raise money for the poor.  At least that's how I understand it.

+1

And many rich people are rich for a reason, ie. because they spend money wisely.

Then there are the Paris Hilton types, but that's a different issue.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 1:08:22 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I myself wouldn't shop at goodwill simply because I am a germ freak. If not I wouldn't mind picking up a pair of older jeans that fit nice, do you know what a pair of freaking worn out new jeans cost! $130

Use bleach!  Do you ever eat out?  You know the only thing between you and eating off someone elses plate?  Bleach! It kills almost anything.  If your still freaked out, do you know they sell brand new stuff, with the tags still on.  Stores donate their clearance items and take it as a tax writeoff.  One store that does this is Target.  

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 3:43:52 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Wow - expensive tastes. What brand of jeans do you wear?
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 3:51:54 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:
In my experience, Old Navy and durable have been mutually exclusive.

Wow, really?  I get the kids' playclothes there and haven't had a problem with them.  The only items we get from Old Navy which fall apart are Gloftoe's shorts after he wears them for a few years.

Old Navy sale racks are another place to shop for cheap stuff. I don't really care if it lasts only a year if I pay a buck for something! Plus, they have the slimmest fitting pants I have found to fit my twiggy daughter.

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 4:20:04 AM EDT
[#38]
lots of stay at home moms shop there and sell on ebay...
oh, me too.  dooney burke purses can be had for $10 sometimes and sold on fleabay for 80-100...you do the math.  Gotten so lucrative that goodwill has their own auction site and some of them sell their stuff on ebay themselves.

Essayons
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:48:35 AM EDT
[#39]
Never been to a Goodwill store but I was also under the same impression (that they were discount stores for the less fortunate).  I'm glad ARFcom set me straight.

Quoted:
or I will wait until Old Navy Online or the local stores are having their end-of-season blowouts and buy a load of clothes for the next year.

This is what I do as well.  It's not like I don't have clothes to wear through [insert current season here].  I can wait until the end of season and get some great deals.  Like my last batch of J. Crew khakis/dress slacks for $9 per pair!  When they hit that price I just buy 4-5 pairs and I'm done for a very long time (hey, I'm a guy and I hate clothes shopping).  

I also find great deals on bargain hunting websites like fatwallet.com.  

A lot of the secret to saving money is to plan ahead for your purchases. If you wait until you "need" the item then you'll end up paying full price.  However, if you plan ahead and look for deals you can jump on the deals and pay a lot less!  My DVD player is a good example:  I wanted a multi-disc DVD player but didn't want to pay the $600 for Sony's 200-disc (the best available at the time, circa 1999?) player.  I waited until Sony came out with their 300-disc DVD player and snapped up the 200-disc on closeout from Best Buy at $299!  Saved myself $300 and got a top of the line DVD player to boot ....

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 6:06:07 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Sound advice from one so young, I preach the samething.

Good job Wolfie

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 8:11:11 AM EDT
[#41]
Only a fool pays retail.

I shop second hand, thrift, and rummage sales because I want to do so.  Socks and underwear?  No...  But why not an antique table?  

I also find a LOT of stuff to resell online.  

Mike
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top