Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2004 6:14:34 AM EDT
I know several attractive, smart, proffesional women who are practically loosing their minds at this point trying to find a man to marry and have kids with. Of course they never will, becuase they give of a bad manhunter vibe of desperation.

The one thing all these women have in common is they partied like rock stars in their 20's. I know all of them turned down multiple marraige proposals in their 20's. Now they are in their early 30's and the guys are not interested like they used to be (Big surprise).

So at what age is the "old maid" cut off?  I'm thinking it's the big Three-Oh. A woman over thirty who has never been married probubly has a better chance of being hit by a truck crossing the street than getting married. Unless she seriously lowers her standards and marries a much older man, or a divorced man.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:16:45 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd say when they're too old to have a baby.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:18:21 AM EDT
[#2]
If she won't sleep with you...she is an old maid.

SGatr15
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:18:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:36:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:57:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Well, they partied like rock stars? I wouldn't marry a chick with a history of drug use and promiscuity anyway. Actions have consequences.
Perhaps the man their age who are available are single because they have high standards, which easy druggies don't fit?
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 7:11:02 AM EDT
[#6]
by the time they are in their 30's they are (usually) making good money (& blowing it all on movies, vacations, clothes & shoes), don't cook (or just nuke Weight Watchers at home) and want a guy who:

a) lives within 5 miles of where they do (they're not going to move and have to find a new coffee shop)

b) makes 150K+ a year (this drops to 75K+ at 35)

c) loves: going to the theatre, plays, antique shopping, quiet romantic walks on the beach, travel (Paris & the Caribbean)

d) doesn't smoke, only drinks wine, has no single friends, rather only hangs out with other upper middle class couples

e) is happy with sex once a week

f) is willing to get a $450K house (on 1/4 acres) in a new development with the best schools

g) is sensitive, like Alan Alda

h) loves to sit and watch sitcoms every night, must find "Friends" intensely funny

i) must listen  to core dumps of every problem at work, with friends or what the manicurist said about the lady across the street, every evening without interruption.

THEN you see a picture of the "slim, attractive professional woman" and she looks like freakin Hillary.

NO THANK YOU

(I am not making this up, go look at any of the computer dating profiles - oh yes, add 2-6 years to their posted age)

Before the women get all in a tizzy, the guys are no better - chiseled body means pear-shaped, dashing means a comb-over and independently wealthy means unemployed, lol.

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 7:18:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Damn Merrell, I don't think I could have said it any better even if I KNEW ANY BETTER!
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 7:22:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Merrel, you summed it up pretty well
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 7:23:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 7:59:18 AM EDT
[#10]
38 and never married is an "old maid" a woman's marriage prospects really go down in her late 30's unless she marries an old man.

most men marry younger women, you dont see very many men marrying older women.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:01:58 AM EDT
[#11]
how old is too old for a man to get married? is there a cut off point that makes a man un desirable or too old?
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:04:30 AM EDT
[#12]
It's more about attitude than the number.

If you know some ladies in their early 30's that want to get married, send them my way.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:13:04 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm not trying to hijack this thread but how old do  you have to be to be considered an "Old Fart"?  

Maybe some Old Farts might be interested in the Old Maids.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:24:54 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I'm not trying to hijack this thread but how old do  you have to be to be considered an "Old Fart"?  

No No, Old farts only want to date young (Under 25) Model type women!
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:39:07 AM EDT
[#15]
I don't know what their malfinction is, I'm thinking they were raised watching the "Mary Tyler Moore" show and buying into the "you can have it all!" mantra, going out & getting their career going, then expecting whenever THEY get tired of going out to bars and getting boinked by random guys, that all of a sudden some handsome white knight (who has been waiting ALL HIS LIFE for HER because SHE IS PERFECT) should ride up and continue to support them in the style to which they have become accustomed.

One of the biggest things that kills any interest I might have in a woman is her spending habits. If she burns money left & right, I know that after she pops a kid or three that nothing will change and on top of paying for diapers and formula and a 4 bedroom house that she will be barricaded behind a wall of LL Bean & LL Kids catalogs and furiously shopping on the compueter chanting "ADD TO CART! ADD TO CART!" and then bitching because I don't make enough money to take her & the kids to the south of France for vacation BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZT. NEXT!

(I don't have the energy to go into the married women who feel an innate need to fix up any single guy they know with one of their friends who has "a great personality" - it drives women absolutely to distraction to see a guy who is single and happy, they think either "He must be gay or he doesn't know what he's missing" when their husbands know PRECISELY what he is missing and secretly wishing they could trade places even if just for one weekend to get away from the never ending hell of he honey-do lists and "I bought tickets for the ballet" surprises AIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:45:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:51:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:06:27 AM EDT
[#18]
What the hell is it with women and CSI/Law dramas/trashy murder novels?

Is it some need for adventure in an otherwise placid life?

The last couple of girls I dated were all into it, which is fine, but they felt compelled to retell the storylines each week over the phone... "hi! are you busy?" "well, I'm sorta finishing painting the basement" "did you watch CSI tonight?" (ignoring that work is actually trying to be done) "er, no, I have been painting all evening (this after stating weekly for the past 6 1/2 months that you do not watch "CSI") "oh tonight's episode was really great, this woman disappeared and they were investigating her spiritual zen master at the health club..." *click*

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 1:23:10 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Nope. Men improve with age. A mans "looks" have more to do with grooming, self confidence, and his wallet, than natural features.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 1:59:43 PM EDT
[#20]
What I fail to comprehend, is why is marriage  the goal?? I've had a couple of nice relationships fail, because I'm not interested in actually getting married again, but it seams to be a recurring issue.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 2:14:17 PM EDT
[#21]

I would be happy finding women like that. Every woman from 25-35 (my dating range) that I meet seems to be pretty much worthless. 3-5 kids by 3-5 different guys.  They can’t hold jobs longer than 6 months, have drug problems and crazy psycho ex boyfriend/husbands/daddies that they just can’t seem to get rid of.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 2:30:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Something Like This...

MT
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 2:43:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 2:50:23 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
buying into the "you can have it all!" mantra, going out & getting their career going, then expecting whenever THEY get tired of going out to bars and getting boinked by random guys, that all of a sudden some handsome white knight (who has been waiting ALL HIS LIFE for HER because SHE IS PERFECT) should ride up...

You have perfectly described my single 30 something female coworkes and friends.  Most of these girls met guys who were crazy about them, and recieved marraige proposals, but were too busy "having fun" to settle down.  Now they are tired of "having fun" and want to settle down, and those great guys that wanted them 5 years ago have moved on and they are finding in their older age they are not quite the catch they used to be.

BTW; "having fun" means going out drinking & dancing, and sleeping around.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:26:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Funny how time lets men get their revenge on women.
When younger the women can wrap the men around their pinky by controlling the "kitty" supply. As the years roll by and men develope other interest and women start "wanting some" the men simply don't care as much. The single men out there can always find plenty of women while the good men are already taken by the women who figured out it is better to find a acceptable man and groom him to the job. What's left? The incorrigibke men who can't or won't change and the lonely women who thought they had it all.

BTW, single, no kids, 40yrs and loving the hell out of it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:27:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top