Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/26/2004 5:26:58 AM EDT
I'm new to pistol shooting so I took a beginners handgun class yesterday.  During the cleaning part of the class the instructor said to clean your handgun after each use.  This seems a bit excessive to me.  How often do you clean your handguns and rifles?
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 5:40:29 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I'm new to pistol shooting so I took a beginners handgun class yesterday.  During the cleaning part of the class the instructor said to clean your handgun after each use.  This seems a bit excessive to me.  How often do you clean your handguns and rifles?

I clean my handguns after every time out. It's not excessive. I'll tell you why.

Took my P22 out, put 500 rounds though it and then cleaned it. Found out there was a screw coming lose that clamps down on the part where the barrel goes in. If I had let this go, the screw would have come all the way out, seriously jamming or damaging the pistol, if not exploding the gun in my hand.

My kid went the range with me. He was shooting my 9mm. He's really good about being safe and taking care of my weapons, but he put the pistol away with his sweat on it. I opened the box and found it the barrel had developed some surface rust on it. I cleaned it immediately. If I had let it go, it would have pitted the barrel.

You should clean, at least, your barrel every 50 to 100 rounds, if possible. After that, the gooves get so loaded up and accuracy goes down.

And, like my drll instructor taught us. You weapon is your life. If you don't master it and take care of it, how is it going to take care of you? Clean your weapon, take it apart and learn exactly how it works, keep your eye on it so you catch a possible malfunction before it happens and make it a part of you. If you want it to work right at the exact time you really need it too, you'll need to take care of it correctly.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 5:45:35 AM EDT
[#2]
right on
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 5:51:52 AM EDT
[#3]
I clean after every trip to the range.
therefore, everything is ready to go when I want to use it next.

Sure, many firearms will perform for thousands of rounds w/o cleaning, but what if something were to happen where you need that reliabillity and it hadn't been cleaned in some time and your life depended on it?
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 6:03:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Everything gets cleaned after shooting. That doesnt mean a break down full on clean, but I'll at least give them a quick wipe off and a squirt of oil down the barrel.
The .44 Mag I dont think has been cleaned in 10 years, maybe more. It doesnt see much action, but no worries about rust. The beauty of stainless.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 6:07:12 AM EDT
[#5]
ibtl
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 6:23:07 AM EDT
[#6]
shoot/clean......................................
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 6:25:01 AM EDT
[#7]
shoot
clean

repeat as necessary
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 6:27:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Daily.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 6:28:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Every time I go to the range, the iron gets cleaned.  Handgun, rifle, it doesn't matter.

It is how I was taught, and it seems like a good practice to keep up.

Geoff

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 6:32:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Failure to clean can (and will) equal rust in any kind of humid area. Carbon soaks up moisture like a sponge.

Not only that, but to echo previous statements...if you really need it, it'd be best if it were in %100 go condition, instead of %50 fouled condition.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:18:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Every time I get back from the range.
I also function-check and do a light cleaning before I go to the range.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:24:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Most, after every trip to the range.

My trap gun, I'm sad to say, only gets wiped down every week, and cleaned after every season.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:25:52 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Failure to clean can (and will) equal rust in any kind of humid area. Carbon soaks up moisture like a sponge.

Not only that, but to echo previous statements...if you really need it, it'd be best if it were in %100 go condition, instead of %50 fouled condition.

+1

I pulled a couple of rifles out to
clean last week after not touching
them for a while. I noticed that they
both had surface rust in the bores.
When I checked the rest of my
weapons, I noticed that they all
had some surface rust (a Mosin
had turned into a sewer pipe). This
was during a particularly humid
period in VT. Now, I plan on running
an oiled patch through all of my
weapons each week during the humid
months.

That was scary...  

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:37:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks every one for the great information.  I guess you really do need to clean your gun every time you take it out.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:41:43 AM EDT
[#15]
after every range outing...
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:01:47 AM EDT
[#16]
I clean mine after every shooting. I also check at leat once a week to make sure my safes dehumidifiers are working and do a ramdom inspection. Just to be sure that nothing I may have missed during cleaning is causing corrosion. Then if I don't shoot for a while then I pull them out monthly to inspect and reapply oil. It may sound excessive to some of you, but I paid alot for most of my guns. And even the cheaper ones does'nt mean they're not worth the time to check. Besides, the prevenative measures is cheaper than parts replacements due to neglect. You pay into an investment, might as well protect it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:17:20 AM EDT
[#17]
I clean my STI about every 2000 rounds.  I use slide glide.  Once in a while, I run a boresnake through it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:22:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:26:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Depends when super accurate bolt guns where my thing I cleaned them every 20 rounds, regaurdless of where I was at when I fired the 20th round,  I got tired of seeing how many bullets I could fit on a little dot at 100 yards and went to seeing how fast ui could clang 9 steel plates at various ranges I dont clean nearly as often now, my Glocks I rarely clean at all.... also depends on what kind of ammo I use.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:28:23 AM EDT
[#20]
I just wipe doen the outside of each weapon after I use it.
I clean the weapon (inside and out) after about 2,000 rounds of use.
I don't have much free time to shoot and clean my weapons and I rather spend my time shooting than clean them.  After about 15 years of doing it like this I nevewr had any problem with rust.

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:28:59 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Thanks every one for the great information.  I guess you really do need to clean your gun every time you take it out.  

You know what even worse... When varmint shooting or benchrest. I clean every 50 or 5 rnds.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:31:17 AM EDT
[#22]
After they are used. Allowing gunk to accumulate in the weapon invites malfunctions , damage such as rust, etc.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:39:43 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
After they are used. Allowing gunk to accumulate in the weapon invites malfunctions , damage such as rust, etc.

I think I've seen more malfunctions induced by excessiving oil/lube than anything else.

It should not take more than 2-3 drops of oil to completely lube your weapon and another 3-4 (handguns) or 5-6 to (longguns) drops to clean/protect the outside finish.

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:42:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Every time I come back from the range.  If I can not clean them I run a patch of Break Free down the barrel, and clean them soon after.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:59:51 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I don't have much free time to shoot and clean my weapons and I rather spend my time shooting than clean them.  After about 15 years of doing it like this I nevewr had any problem with rust.

How do you handle humidity? I am
assuming that you have central air
and the house maintains a low RH?
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:01:45 AM EDT
[#26]
after every trip to the range! take care of your guns and they will take care of you!
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:02:21 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think I've seen more malfunctions induced by excessiving oil/lube than anything else.

It should not take more than 2-3 drops of oil to completely lube your weapon and another 3-4 (handguns) or 5-6 to (longguns) drops to clean/protect the outside finish.

You completely ignore the issue of carbon buildup, etc, that can occur. I am not saying that you need to dump a quart of CLP down the action. Clean up the gun, though. Doesn't take but 15 minutes to sit down, break the weapon down and run a brush and  some patches down the weapon, and get at the nooks and crannies with some pipe cleaners and q tips.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:13:37 AM EDT
[#28]
After every use, like the manufacturers recommend.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:15:26 AM EDT
[#29]
I clean my guns after every time I use them.  It is called Discipline, and if I'm going to own guns worth thousands of dollars, then I'm going to take care of them so they last me a long long time.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:17:28 AM EDT
[#30]
I once TRIED not to clean my guns after a trip to the range (I even posted here about it - probably a year ago or more) and I simply could not go to sleep until I had done it.

It just doesn't seem right to NOT clean them after using them.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:25:36 AM EDT
[#31]
If I don't open my safe weekly and coat all of my guns with CLP, they rust.  As far as cleaning the bore after each trip to the range, I clean them every other time.  I wonder if those dessicant packs they use in boilers will help with the humidity problem.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:36:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:43:26 AM EDT
[#33]
If you shootem, cleanem,  soon as you finish shootin
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:59:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Geez, guess I'm the only guy here that cleans 'em every couple of years, whether they need it or not.

Seriously, except for my carry guns, I generally only clean guns if they're getting so dirty as to be close to malfunctioning.  Of course, I live in the desert with no humidity, so rust isn't a problem here.

My 1187 trap gun gets cleaned only when the action catches fire for a second after a shot (from all the residue in the action).
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:16:31 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How do you handle humidity? I am
assuming that you have central air
and the house maintains a low RH?

It doesn't take much oil to prevent rust if you don't use aerosol degreaser/cleaner on your weapon that removes all oil.   If you clean your weapon with just solvent and elbow grease you only need few drops to replace what was lost.

My most often carried handgun is a parkerized 1911 and it is carried almost daily.  All I do it wipe it down with a gun rag each night.  After couple of range sessions I'll use solvent to clean the barrel and internals and then lube and wipe with couple drops of oil.  

Weapons that are not carried are kept in my safe which is inside a closet in the spare bedroom.  House is air conditioned only when someone is home but I never had any rust problems or constant jamming problems with my weapons.  

I bet majority of GI's jammed M-16s in Iraq can be traced back to excessive oil/lube on the rifle.  

If you have the time to clean you weapon after each range session then good for you but i don't feel it is necessary.

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:16:40 AM EDT
[#36]
I don't clean them ALL thororughly right after shooting them.

If I shoot my carry gun (Sig P239) I clean it that night, as well as my shorty AR.

The rest of them get cleaned within the next few nights, 1 or 2 weapons at a time.

I clean slides, bolts, etc and re-lubricate them.

Every third shooting session I clean the barrels with a copper fouling remover (Sweet's 7.62).

I generally take at least 7 to 9 guns with me when I shoot and I really don't like sitting for hours cleaning them when I'm done shooting for a day, especially if I went while it's been farging hot outside.

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 12:41:35 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I once TRIED not to clean my guns after a trip to the range (I even posted here about it - probably a year ago or more) and I simply could not go to sleep until I had done it.

It just doesn't seem right to NOT clean them after using them.

+1

With 23 years of military weapons training (brain washing?), I can't relax until their cleaned.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top