Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/8/2006 6:44:44 PM EDT
I just gave the dog a bath and out of curiosity wonder how much you bathe your buddies.
I give him a bath about every 2-3 weeks.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:45:17 PM EDT
[#1]
once a month or so, or as needed
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:49:03 PM EDT
[#2]
X-2 once a month cost me $30.00
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:50:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Whenever he rolls in some other dogs shit.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:51:01 PM EDT
[#4]
It depends on the dog.  Some dogs, like Labs you never bath.  If they get real muddy, you just hose them off.  You should never use soap on them because the oil in thier mink coat under the courser protective coat is how they regulate thier body tempature.  I have had Labs all of my life and have never washed a single one of them.  The vet is always happy with the way thier coats look when I take them in for their check up.

Most other dogs will get a rash if you wash them to often.  I would check with your vet.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:53:01 PM EDT
[#5]
The family likes to take him to the dog groomer once a month($45.00 = to damn much) I prefer to hit him with the garden hose as I wash my truck every other week.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:54:09 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
It depends on the dog.  Some dogs, like Labs you never bath.  If they get real muddy, you just hose them off.  You should never use soap on them because the oil in thier mink coat under the courser protective coat is how they regulate thier body tempature.  I have had Labs all of my life and have never washed a single one of them.  The vet is always happy with the way thier coats look when I take them in for their check up.

Most other dogs will get a rash if you wash them to often.  I would check with your vet.

My brother had a black lab and it would get stinky and dirty after a few weeks.
Always washed my dogs about every 2-3 weeks and never had a problem.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:55:27 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The family likes to take him to the dog groomer once a month($45.00 = to damn much) I prefer to hit him with the garden hose as I wash my truck every other week.

Groomer about every 6-8 weeks
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:55:34 PM EDT
[#8]
when ever it rains
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:58:42 PM EDT
[#9]
My dog has sort of a "skirt" which means that she gets longer hair around her legs and butt. I bathe her everytime she gets poop in her fur, which lately has been about twice a week.

Time to take her to the groomer's for a trim.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:58:44 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I just gave the dog a bath and out of curiosity wonder how much you bathe your buddies.

That's too much, you'll sestroy the natural oils in thier fur.

4 times a year for both of mine....and they shine pretty well.

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:02:17 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

never had a problem and dog is 12 years old in July
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:16:46 PM EDT
[#12]
used to be every week, but me and the chick that owned him went our separate ways, she took some of my stuff and left the dog, I came out on the short end, but back to the dog wash, I guess now he gets washed everytime it rains, or everytime I go to the lake in the summer, let him swim, then apply shampoo and let him swim to rinse off,

and he don't come inside the house anymore either.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:17:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Never.  Short haired outside only dogs don't need a bath.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:21:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Whenever they start to stink. Once a month and a half or so, maybe 2. Just depends.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:38:30 PM EDT
[#15]
I've had my 2 Greyhounds for 9 months now, only had to give them rub-downs with doggie wipes a few times during the summer. Even wet, they hardly have that dog smell.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:43:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Why do people own a dog if they dont let it inside ?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:45:54 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=32919

I love that dog.  No matter how many times I see that pic, it always make me smile.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:46:41 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Some dogs are just outside dogs. You buy them a nice insulated house
and there fine all winter.

Do you hunt?

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:49:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Tanam

Because there are two types of dogs, Yard dogs and House dogs. You keep the yard dogs in the yard and the house dogs in the house.

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:01:59 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you hunt?

Yes i do hunt. I guess im jaded. About 2 weeks of the month i work in piss poor areas where i see dogs chained up with no food,water,or shelter. For all the people who actually take care of their animals,i have no problem. I see so many dogs that stay outside with there hipbones,ribs,and backbones sticking out it got a kneejerk reaction out of me.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:07:05 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you hunt?

Yes i do hunt. I guess im jaded. About 2 weeks of the month i work in piss poor areas where i see dogs chained up with no food,water,or shelter. For all the people who actually take care of their animals,i have no problem. I see so many dogs that stay outside with there hipbones,ribs,and backbones sticking out it got a kneejerk reaction out of me.

I have seen things like that to and it makes me so angry to see a person not take care of their animals, no mater what kind of animal it is.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:08:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Mine goes for a swin in the pond from time to time, especially to cool down.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:13:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:16:11 PM EDT
[#24]
2-3 times a year tops, unless she rolls in some frumundah cheese from some carcass in the woods...

Then it's usually 2-3 times a day until the stench is gone.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:25:31 PM EDT
[#25]
tag
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:26:17 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Never.  Short haired outside only dogs don't need a bath.

Same here. I've got two yard dogs that I think about giving a bath once in a while.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:35:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Almost never. She is generally clean and doesn't smell much at all.
When she was a pup she needed it fairly regular.

In winter she runs in the snow.
Spring is a little rough but I brush her out after she dries off.
Summer - we live on a lake and she swims in it everyday.

She used to like to roll on dead mice and start flinging them around.
I took her out on our pier and threw her up into the air and into the lake. That took care of that.

For most dogs, excessive bathing is hard on their skin.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:42:53 PM EDT
[#28]
maybe once a year, and thats usually if they're shedding really bad, then I'll wash em and comb em out real good to get rid of most of the excess hair

Other than that I don't wash em, when it rains they get cleaned....until they start playing in the mud anyway, it is fun to watch em play in the mud though
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:43:06 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you hunt?

I have seen things like that to and it makes me so angry to see a person not take care of their animals, no mater what kind of animal it is.

Yeah, I hear you guys. Really sucks don't it?

Mine is a hunting dog (English Setter) and she is a house dog also. Sure hasn't affected her nose or hunting ability. She can smell a grouse a couple of hundred yards away on a good day and she has put a lot of birds in my freezer. She has sure made me a better shot.
She is an awesome house dog, and a great friend. We just love her to death.  She is trained to stay in our yard and not go out in the road so we just let her out whenever she wants. We feed the birds(as well as the squirrels and bunnies apparently) so she has plenty of playmates to chase.  She gets a few.
I run her out in the forest most days.

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:53:43 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you hunt?

Yeah, I hear you guys. Really sucks don't it?

Mine is a hunting dog (English Setter) and she is a house dog also. Sure hasn't affected her nose or hunting ability. She can smell a grouse a couple of hundred yards away on a good day and she has put a lot of birds in my freezer. She has sure made me a better shot.
She is an awesome house dog, and a great friend. We just love her to death.  She is trained to stay in our yard and not go out in the road so we just let her out whenever she wants. We feed the birds(as well as the squirrels and bunnies apparently) so she has plenty of playmates to chase.  She gets a few.
I run her out in the forest most days.

i15.photobucket.com/albums/a360/drjarhead/arfcomgrousepic1.jpg

nice pic
And you knew exactly why I asked the hunting question
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:54:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Whenever he gets really dirty (i.e. mud), starts smelling, or scratches a lot.

Incidentally, pickle juice will get rid of skunk smell a lot more effectively than anything else you can put on your dog.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top