Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/24/2002 7:06:53 PM EDT
Lately I've been averaging a paperback every three days. Between time spent at work and my personal life I only have a couple of hours each day to dedicate to reading.

The last good book I read was "Five Years to Freedom" by James Rowe.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 7:16:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I try to get a classic down once a week...although I never have time and it is more like once a month.  Working on Dante right now---interesting
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 7:24:11 PM EDT
[#2]
The Inferno was a quick read. Hard to put down and kept me thinking.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 7:32:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Unintended Consequences and Patriots: Surviving the Coming Collapse just arrived today from amazon.com,Unintended Consequences looks like it might take a day or two to get through though,LOL

Link Posted: 7/24/2002 7:41:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I hate taking the time to read a book when I usually can see the movie in 2 hours.  The last book I read was "The Art Of War" by Sun Tzu. That was about 7 months ago. I read investment and real estate magazines quite regularly
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 7:47:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Just finishing "The Red Horseman" by Stephen Coonts. Love the Grafton and Tarkington characters in his techno-thrillers.

Tomorrow I start "The Bear and The Dragon" by Tom Clancy. I look forward to it.

Hell yes, I read every day. Sometimes I think a good novel is the only thing that keeps me sane.

-T.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 7:49:07 PM EDT
[#6]
just starting on "send in the waco killers" vin sproaigafgslkdjhalksfj witz.

just finished "101 things to do until the revolution" claire wolfe
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 7:49:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Just finished "Job: A Comedy of Justice", by Heilein a few minutes ago. Always picking which Heinlein book to re-read next. In the last month, I have read "Friday", "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress", "Sixth Column", "Farnham's Freehold", and "Farmer in the Sky". I usually read "Starship Troopers", "Armor" by John Steakley, and "The Forever War" by Joe Haldeman as a "trilogy". But I lent out my [b]ONLY[/b] copy of "Starship Troopers" to a Marine chum at work....

Scott

Link Posted: 7/24/2002 7:49:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Couple chapters every nite while in bed...

Currently catching up on the Clancy books (Rainbow6)
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 7:50:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I consider reading fiction a complete waste of time. When I read it is to learn how to do something.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 7:51:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I consider reading fiction a complete waste of time. When I read it is to learn how to do something.
View Quote

do you consider all forms of entertainment to be wastes of time? you must be one serious mother fucker.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 7:55:49 PM EDT
[#11]
I used to read all the time. Several books a week from the library.  But the internet put a stop to that. Now, I'm surfing all the time. I hardly ever read a book. That's bad.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 7:57:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Currently catching up on the Clancy books (Rainbow6)
View Quote

Excellent choice. It's a good read.

-T.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 7:59:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

do you consider all forms of entertainment to be wastes of time? you must be one serious mother fucker.
View Quote

No. I guess you got a point.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 8:00:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

do you consider all forms of entertainment to be wastes of time? [red]you must be one serious mother fucker. [/red]
View Quote

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 8:01:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

If your too busy getting busy with a parent, maybe should be reading a few books......

[shock]

Scott

P.S. Is a joke.....

Link Posted: 7/24/2002 8:18:14 PM EDT
[#16]

How often do I read a book?

Every time the lincoln log train comes into the station.

Link Posted: 7/24/2002 8:25:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Reading "Sharpe's Waterloo" by Bernard Cornwall this week, Have been on a Richard Sharpe kick for the last couple of months and I'm trying to hammer thru the entire series.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 8:27:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Once every five years.

Reading is fundamental.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 8:28:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

I agree.
I also don't read any fiction.
I write the hell out of it, and have never failed to get dripping praise in every creative writing class I have ever taken, but I can't read it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 8:35:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Fiction is my escape valve.  I do a book a week, minimum, from detective (Robert Parker, John MacDonand, Michael Connelly) to suspense (John Sandford, Steven King, Preston & Child) to adventure (Jack Higgins, Clive Cussler, etc.)  Read 'em once and start all over three or four years later.

And not to forget all the fiction on these boards, too!  ;)

Noah
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 8:58:56 PM EDT
[#21]
I have read 5 books in the past 6 years.  They were:

[u]Black Hawk Down[/u]
[u]Brain Droppings[/u] by George Carlin
[u]Killer Clown:  The John Wayne Gacy Murders[/u]
[u]The Perfect Storm[/u]
[u]Another Season: A Coach's Story of Raising an Exceptional Son[/u] by Gene Stallings

I don't read much, but when I do, it doesn't take me anytime to read an entire book.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 9:12:03 PM EDT
[#22]
One every 1-5 days. : 64%
View Quote

Wow, a pretty literate bunch!  I'm also in that group, but that's only because I can read at work several hours a day, and my office is only a few blocks from a library.

About 12 years ago, I discovered Project Gutenberg.  It's a vast collection of public domain copies of books, poetry, plays, important documents, etc.  You can find more info at [url]www.gutenberg.org[/url].  Definitely take a look if you're in need of something to read.

[url]www.bartleby.com[/url] is another good source for public domain texts, and there's a search engine.z

Link Posted: 7/24/2002 9:16:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I hate taking the time to read a book when I usually can see the movie in 2 hours.  The last book I read was "The Art Of War" by Sun Tzu.
View Quote

A prime example of a book not translating well to the screen.

j/k.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 9:20:23 PM EDT
[#24]
A what?

Haven't you heard of [b]TV[/b]?

Besides it's not like I don't get enough reading done with all the time I waste on the stupid site. [;)]
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 9:36:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Rarely these days. Problem is I haven't stopped buying them. [>:/]
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 9:38:35 PM EDT
[#26]
The world has seriously cut into my reading time. When I was younger I would read a book every 1-2 days. Now I'm lucky to read one a month. I much prefer reading to watching, keeps the mind's eye nice and sharp.

"A mind is a terrible thing" Eddie Murphy
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 10:33:40 PM EDT
[#27]
I seen a guy reading a book on [size=6]TV[/size=6] once does that count?
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 10:50:55 PM EDT
[#28]
I lik tha pikter buks.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 10:55:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 11:56:13 PM EDT
[#30]
I [b]LOVE[/b] to read.

I mostly read non-fiction works, mostly on government and liberty, such as the Anti-Federalist Papers, Lincoln the Tyrant, books by Ludwig von Mises and Murray Rothbard, FDR the tyrant, the War for Southern Independence, etc.

I also read electronics and programming books like Macintosh Programming and Z80 computer building.

I do like some fiction too, mostly sci-fi. I have almost all of Michael Crichton's books. I also like Arther C. Clark(the 2001 series was good, but I much preferred the Rama series.)

Just got done reading James Bovard's "Freedom in Chains." Definitely a good read. Just last week I finished his "Feeling your Pain: The Explosion of Government Power and Abuse during the Clinton Administration." Also a good read. In fact, I also have his "Lost Rights: the Destruction of American Liberty." I highly recommend everybody read at least one of these, if not all of them. You think the government is bad now? Wait till you find out what else the government has done. It will really open your eyes.

I try to read more books, but I just don't have the freaking time. I have a stack of books here I haven't read yet, from F.A. Hayek's books, to the Federalist Papers, to Operating Systems. I have a list of 100 [:O] books that I want to get !!!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top