Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/17/2002 9:40:34 AM EDT
I spent last nite's wee hours puking my guts out, reliving yesterday's lunch at KFC. (A co-worker of mine got sick off the same KFC's food a few days earlier - not that she told me [puke] )

About a year earlier, a Subway tuna sandwich did me in. Ralf city.

I'm beginning to wonder how many of these food chains are selling rancid food.

Is this happenning to anyone else out there????

Link Posted: 7/17/2002 9:43:49 AM EDT
[#1]
You need to eat MORE bad take-out food.

...build up a resistance.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 9:45:56 AM EDT
[#2]
I've had food poisoning three times in my life, and the last two were about 18 months apart.  I can't remember what the first one was caused by, if I ever knew, 'cuz I was just a kid.  

The second one was a bad egg at a restaraunt.  That's literally the first time I thought I was going to die and was afraid I wouldn't.

The last time I think it was self-inflicted - something improperly stored or too old in my refrigerator.  That one almost did kill me.  I had to have two units of saline drip to rehydrate me because I couldn't keep fluids in me.  

Food poisioning doesn't suck, it SPEWS.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 9:47:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
 That's literally the first time I thought I was going to die and was afraid I wouldn't.

View Quote

LOL!!!

That's a pretty good summation. Please just let me die!!!!!!!!
[BD]

Link Posted: 7/17/2002 9:47:38 AM EDT
[#4]
I've been told that the so called "24 hours flu" is actually food poisoning.  So whenever you think you had the flu for 24 or 48 hours it may actually be that take out or that restaurant or your wifes cooking that did it to you...
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 9:49:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 9:50:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Every time I eat at:

White Castle
McDungals
Burger Schwing
Taco Smell
Waffle House
Pizza Slut
Dominos

And about 1/2 the time I eat at:

Arby's
KFC
Wendy's

I seriously get ill when I frequent these places. McDonalds and Pizza Hut do it to me the worst. I have pretty much sworn off fast food in general. It's unhealthy, disease-ridden trough slop prepared by dirty, apathetic, minimum-wage workers who have no qualms about spitting on people's burgers or wiping their ass crack with a bun. (see the other thread)

YUMMY!!! Just what I want to eat...

Link Posted: 7/17/2002 9:51:21 AM EDT
[#7]
I get food poisoning about 2 times a year, mostly the explosive diarhea type. Haven't had the barfs in years.

About 6 years ago, the Gangrene Burrito experience had to have been the worst because I got salmonella from their chicken nachos. It was so bad I thought I was gonna die.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 9:59:59 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm good for about once a year. My last time came from Subway too, it was a footlong Seafood and Crab i think. I should known there is something inherently wrong with getting "crab" at subway i guess. During those 3 days of hell there were times I would run to bathroom not sure which end it was coming out of till i got there. [:X*] [puke]
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 10:01:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Every time I eat at:

White Castle
McDungals
Burger Schwing
Taco Smell
Waffle House
Pizza Slut
Dominos

And about 1/2 the time I eat at:

Arby's
KFC
Wendy's

YUMMY!!! Just what I want to eat...

View Quote

What about Skyline or Dixie Chili?
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 10:02:12 AM EDT
[#10]
I don't like Subway.  Togo's is so much better...lucky that I live by a Togo's and a Subway...[:)]
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 10:12:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't eat at Dixie. I hit Skyline every now and then. I wolf down the 3-ways and coneys from Goldstar at least twice a week. I have no problems with Cincinnati style chili at all. I think your stomach adjusts to it when you live here.

I can watch my food being made at Skyline and Goldstar.

Link Posted: 7/17/2002 10:18:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 10:18:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't eat at Dixie. I hit Skyline every now and then. I wolf down the 3-ways and coneys from Goldstar at least twice a week. I have no problems with Cincinnati style chili at all. I think your stomach adjusts to it when you live here.

I can watch my food being made at Skyline and Goldstar.

View Quote

I was born in Covington/ lived in Kenton Cty. We had Dixie back then. I still make 5 ways at home. Buy the spice mix at Kroger's. Hell I just had Goldstar last year for the first time. Went up for a Red's game weekend. Great time.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 10:19:42 AM EDT
[#14]
It's not "poisoning" but...

[warning: this may be considered uncouth, but it should be discussed! I will keep my terminology as mild as possible...]

... I have to watch out for places that use new-fangled "diet" or "healthier" cooking oils, grill sprays, etc.  Otherwise in 15-30 minutes I've got the 'trots' and am driving home really fast (with explosive results) - can't even sit and enjoy my newspaper & coffee after dinner at some of these places.

I'm soured on fast food in general because you feel "bleah" after eating it. But Wendy's, Jack-in-the-Box and others seem to put this greased lightning in their sauces, etc.  Some salad dressings seem to trigger same response too: my mom said some dressings may have some mineral oil in them!!!

I am not 'ill' from this (i.e., not nauseated, etc.) - just 'drained'. Probably does wonders for keeping the weight off as food doesn't stay in long enough to have its nutrients absorbed.

I avoid some of this by having my breakfasts
(I eat breakfast a lot, even at dinner) cooked on 'dry grills' - meaning that they don't use grill spray or they'll use a tiny dollop of butter. That really seems to stop the problem.
I have a cast-iron gut and can eat stuff deep friend in Crisco, but this new stuff - with palm oils, canola, etc. triggers some sort of what must be an allergic reaction. These new cooking oils, etc also seem to be cheaper, according to a restaurant mgr I know.

In high-priced (labor, real estate, etc.) Kalifornia this seems to occur frequently. But when I was in eastern Oregon or Reno this wasn't a problem - and I ate out constantly there. We ate quite frequently at a Flying J truck stop and I had no problems at all. (Flying J food is pretty good, too, given the venue.)

I don't think this is a unique problem, and I do think it is increasing: visit a restroom now in these restaurants using the cheap oils/ sprays, and you're likely to see evidence of prior 'blowouts' in their restrooms. I don't recall seeing nearly as much of this a decade ago!

There may be a genetic component to this too... my mom & dad could eat breakfast at our local diner, whereas I'd be running out 15 min later unless I specifically ordered it cooked on a 'dry grill' - which means having the grill scraped down of residue. Seems that even a tad of this gives me the trots.

As for your Subway experiences: would you trust a place that sells *round*, perfectly formed roast beef?  Thank you, I'll find a Safeway deli. About the same price, real food, and they use gloves in preparation.

Bill Wiese
San Mateo, CA
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 10:22:08 AM EDT
[#15]
I've had it five or six times in my 50+ years.  Last time was about three years ago.  I hope I never get it again!  Watch-Six
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 10:22:10 AM EDT
[#16]
About twice a year.

At KFC?  I actually pulled into a KFC about an hour ago to eat, but the line was too long so I kept driving.  That's scary, because it could be the same KFC you're talking about!z
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 10:45:17 AM EDT
[#17]
I've never had food poisoning.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 11:11:15 AM EDT
[#18]
I've gotten it maybe once a year.

My wife probably gets it once a month, usually not as violent as you describe.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 11:20:03 AM EDT
[#19]
I've never gotten it and I eat restaurant food five days a week.  There are certain places I will not eat at though.  

Every McDonalds I have ever been to they pick up the food with bare hands.  Not just wrapping burgers but actually pieces of meat while making the sandwiches and then wiping their hands on their dirty aprons.  

Any food that has has already been cooked or is not going to be cooked before being consumed should only be handeled with utensils or someone wearing gloves to eliminate the risk of contamination.  If anyone is handling the food with bare hands....run away.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 11:36:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ditto... Stomach strong - Like bull
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 12:23:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I get food poisoning about 2 times a year, mostly the explosive diarhea type. Haven't had the barfs in years.
View Quote

I got it one time a few years ago from eating at a local seafood restaurant.  Wound up losing 12 pounds in 3 or 4 days!  I have not eaten at that place since!!!
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 12:28:03 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm very nearly incapable of throwing up.  The only times it's happened in my entire life were (1) when I was about five years old and on some antibiotics that caused vomiting as a side effect, and (2) when I ate some chicken soup at a local salad bar once.

As far as I could tell, the place left the soup sitting out all day, kept medium-warm so as to be immediately eatable by any customer.  In other words, the perfect environment for breeding bacteria.

Last time I ever ate there. . . .  Oh yeah, they're out of business now.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 12:39:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 12:52:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Food with eggs in them dont handle warm temps very long...Mayo for example...
The biggest problem in restaurant, fast food, or vending machine food is the cleanliness of the handlers...those who dont wash hands properly after taking a dump are most likely culprits of food poisoning...choose your establishment wisely...
Those who have recently arrived in America from third world countries may not the same established hygeine habits as youngsters most americans should already have or restaruants may not enforce...
Ask to look under their fingernails... :) or eat at home
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 12:53:18 PM EDT
[#25]
I've had food poisoning twice in my 50 years, and, IIRC, it is nothing like a 24 hour flu, it is like death warmed over.

I watch what I eat, stay away from seafood at non-seafood restaurants, and always get my steaks cooked rare or medium rare!

'Rare or medium rare? Shouldn't that contribute to food poisoning, Hun?'

Nope. When steaks are ordered rare or medium rare, you will always get the freshest meat the restaurant has to offer.

If it's bad in any way, you will be able to tell with the very first bite!

For those of you who order steaks 'well done', let me tell you a little restaurant secret -

When steaks are beginning to 'turn' and don't smell particularly pleasing, most kitchens will simply put such steaks in the 'SFWD' pan in their refigerator!

SFWD pan? Yes, the 'Save for Well Done' pan.

You know, for those schlubs who order their steaks 'well done.'  They'll never know the difference!

Ooops, a little close to the dinner hour to be telling you guys this, eh?

Sorry, if I've spoiled your appetite![:D]

Eric The(BringMeAnEggAndCookItInFrontOfMe!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 1:00:15 PM EDT
[#26]
I get it quite often from random places. Just recently here local in Colorado. Ribs from Texas Road House. Got home and felt fine and kicked back for a couple of hours. Then in about 5 minutes time I went from watching Black Hawk down (I had just bought it that night) to huggin the bowl. All I could think about was how much the ribs cost and they didnt even have a chance to digest hardly any. What a rip. Then the time before that was for the Cafe here where I work. Chicken and Cheese Quesidilla. It splattered nice about 2 hours later in the parking lot when I decided it was time to go home early. Then before that off some canned semi pickeled or sumthin Japalanos that my wifes grandma made. I dont remeber the times before that. I have a hard time remembering the food posioning from a night out with the boys and have a few to many.

Diesel
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 1:06:19 PM EDT
[#27]
I get it quite often from random places. Just recently here local in Colorado. Ribs from Texas Road House. Got home and felt fine and kicked back for a couple of hours. Then in about 5 minutes time I went from watching Black Hawk down (I had just bought it that night) to huggin the bowl. All I could think about was how much the ribs cost and they didnt even have a chance to digest hardly any. What a rip. Then the time before that was for the Cafe here where I work. Chicken and Cheese Quesidilla. It splattered nice about 2 hours later in the parking lot when I decided it was time to go home early. Then before that off some canned semi pickeled or sumthin Japalanos that my wifes grandma made. I dont remeber the times before that. I have a hard time remembering the food posioning from a night out with the boys and have a few to many.

Diesel
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 1:12:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

You have no idea what you are missing out on! Having to sleep on the bathroom floor for 2 days is an experience in itself.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 1:14:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Yup.  Nothing like sitting on the crapper while holding a trash can in your arms, spewing from both ends while being wracked with cramps.  

The Spanish Inquisition couldn't have improved on that one!
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 1:21:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

You have no idea what you are missing out on! Having to sleep on the bathroom floor for 2 days is an experience in itself.
View Quote

Yup - yer bringing back warm, fuzzy memories of the enchiladas I ate from Casa Lupita. I can still see them, sitting on my plate.

Three days missing from my life. Haven't touched any Mexican food since.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top