Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/7/2002 5:22:20 AM EDT
For the last few months I've been doing three miles four of five days a week; a little faster than a 7 min mile pace.  

Last week I started to notice that my right knee was giving me a lot of pain.  I'm fairly certain that this is caused worn out shoes.  I've been running on the same pair since about January.  I keep track of my mileage and times, but didn't make a note of when I bought new shoes.  

I've read different shoe replacement times somewhere between 300 and 500 miles.  When do you buy new shoes?
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 6:33:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Like a chick,too often[;)],but then I gots bad knees.Any sign on significant 'tread' wear would cause me to get new ones.
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 4:09:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Am following, and also have read, the 200-500 mile range - ymmv.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 8:11:55 AM EDT
[#3]
I haven't had too much luck keeping track of mileage, but your mileage would probably work out to every 6 months or so.

Also, if your have any new aches or pains that you didn't have for the last couple of months, take that as a sign to get new shoes.  I noticed that ankle, shin, knee pains were usually telling me to get to the store with $75 bucks in my hand......
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 12:13:57 PM EDT
[#4]
So I've been checking around for a decent pair of running shoes and hear is what I've found out after talking with several shoe store managers including the regional manager of New Balance yesterday (I've had a lot of free time at work).  I've been looking for trail runners.

Someone who weighs more than about 170lbs can't get a great pair of running shoes for less than 80 bones.  Even the ones that you'd think are good have half-assed materials and are made in China.  Most shoes are not designed to carry large people and will wear out considerably faster relative to how heavy you are.  I'm 6'2" and weigh 194 pounds.

Most shoe companies are selling running shoes mostly for the fashion crowd.  I had no idea.  I waer running shoes to run.  Apparently just about everything below the $80 range is designed to attract high school and college kids who just want a pair of shoes to go with bluejeans.  They do not give proper support nor do they last very long at all if you're actually running on them.  The pair I have now was just below the $80 above the $80 range and most of the guys I talked to who actually run are amazed that I made them last 6 months without killing my knees.

Shoes do not last as long as I thought.  I always heard that it was sort of like an oil change.  3 months of daily wear or 300 miles.  Well apparently most shoes will lose 80% of their cushioning effect after just 80 miles.  Tread wear is not an accurate way to evaluate the life of a shoe.  The rubber sole can be hard as a rock an never wear, but the cushion might be totally shot.

If your feet, ankles, shins, knees, hips, or back hurt when you run (assuming they don't normally), you've already worn your shoes out well beyond their lifespan.  To top it off, if you've got pain, you've probably already got damage.

New Balance makes most of their shoes in the United States.  Some of their materials are made over seas, but they are assembled here by American labor.  Even the guys selling Nike and Saucony had good things to say about New Balance.

Link Posted: 8/9/2002 5:50:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Ok, I tried to spare you the whole spiel, but you asked for it... here is the entirety of my knowledge/experience with running shoes.

Brands - A lot of the people I run with swear by Asics shoes, and so do I.  I have tried switching to Nike, Reebok, others, but have had a better experience with Asics.  I have never run in New Balance, but know of a couple of people that like them.  American made and good quality.  This is like the Ford/Chevy/Dodge issue, find the one that suits you and stick with it.

Heavyweights/Lightweights - They make running shoes for runners, most of which are going to be 160 lbs or less.  If you are heavier, they want to sell you a shoe that is bigger and has more support.  I am 6' and 215 and have never found a big boy shoe that I liked.  I just buy the normal running shoe (not the lightweight racers) and train in those, and just figure on replacing them more often.  You can get more mileage out of your shoes by buying a pair of inserts to replace the ones that come with them, they are probably about $30 in a sports store.  (Not the $3 Dr. Scholls for boots)

You MIGHT be able to look at the heel area of your shoes and tell they are getting worn.  Not the tread but how compacted/compressed the material is that cushions the landing.  I've never worn the tread out before this material is creased and doesn't bounce back to the height it had before.

Stores - I can name 10 places that you could buy running shoes at cheaper than at a good running store.  But you won't get the advice or the help after the fact.  The store I use is staffed by runners and know that often you can't tell if a shoe is for you until you have run in them a couple of times.  They have a good return policy.  Some people go to this store to get advice, then buy the shoe at a discount store; I'd rather spend an extra 10 bucks and support a place that sponsors running events in the community...

There is probably more, but I'm tired of typing...  :)
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 4:25:19 AM EDT
[#6]
If this is the ford/chevy..ar/ak opinion vote,I VOTE NEW BALANCE....although they have become popular/fashionable of late,Ive worn them since the mid 70's.They are still the only sneaker that offers a width '5E' selection for my ducky feet![:D]
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 11:21:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Just wanted to put in my 2 cents.  

Saucony Jazz have been the most comfortable shoes for me...I'm 6' 220lbs, and run a couple times a week tops.  The advice I got at the running shoe store I went to is to replace them every 300 miles or 3-6 months, which is just about par w/ what everyone else said.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 10:21:51 PM EDT
[#8]
300-500 miles. Your body will tell you when it is time. You will notice a little discomfort while running and maybe be a little more achy after the fact. Time for new shoes. My GF is constantly bitching about my new shoes, the only ones that ever really look used are the trail shoes.
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 12:20:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Every 10-12 years, needed or not! [8D]
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 12:22:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 10:01:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 10:15:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Every leap year. Just like having a bath.
Link Posted: 8/25/2002 7:56:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Well, I finally went to the only Runners store in town after returning a pair of New Balance that sucked.  They actually did look at my heel strike and recommended a pair of Saucony.  My knee problems are starting to go away now.  

My last pair of Saucony from several years ago was decent.  Anyone have comments on this brand?
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 3:58:13 PM EDT
[#14]
MD, I'm a shoe hound, like to try a lot of different brands/models, wore Saucony Jazz back in the late '80s and was pleased with them. In the past five years, I've worn Brooks, Asics, Mizuno and New Balance. The NB 830 and 764 are the two pairs I'm currently rotating through; I use the 830s for quicker tempo runs and the 764s for longer, slower stuff. Love 'em both.

My feeling is that the cushioning in my shoes takes a noticeable dive in about 100 miles, but because I'd rather buy ammo and stuff, I generally keep on running in the shoes for more than two or three months. If I were really injury-prone and/or racing seriously (but not sponsored), I'd replace shoes every month just to keep that cushiony new feel.

You're running pretty quickly, and that breaks down shoes quicker IMHO. You're generating a lot more force and more RPM than a slower runner. In your case, your knees are giving you a good indication of when to replace shoes, but I'd recommend replacing them before you get to that point.

BTW, you're running about as fast as President Bush! He's amazing. Look for the October Runner's World cover story on him. And keep on running. [:)]
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 4:09:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Asics and Adidas. Buy new four times a year. Bust down old pairs to mud duty.

(tip of the week - buy a cheap pair of golf shoes to mow lawn. Helps you from slipping and also helps aerate lawn.)
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 4:51:39 PM EDT
[#16]
buy a knew pair of insoles first, the ones that come in new shoes only last 200-250 miles. i replace mine with sorbothane insoles

i wear brooks trances, my shoes have lasted since christmas, i changed the insoles sometime in feb. those are just about worn out . my shins are starting to hurt a little.
i run 25-30 miles aweek in the winter. this summer i been puting 18-20 a week.
Walter
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top