Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/24/2009 3:51:14 PM EDT
Bought a portable HD. how often should I back up my HD?
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 4:02:34 PM EDT
[#1]
As often as you can.

Heres a simple calculation. How long does it take to backup AND restore your data? How long would it take to recreate that data from the last time you backed up?

When it takes longer to recreate the data from the last time you backed up than the time it would take to back it up and restore it then it makes sense to do the backup

If it can't be recreated (customer data, logs, etc)? Backup as often as possible!

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 4:04:42 PM EDT
[#2]
daily
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 7:54:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Daily.  I have it scheduled and it happens all the time without any interaction on my part.  Incremental backups daily and a full backup once a week.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 4:12:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 4:26:23 AM EDT
[#5]
"How often do I back up?" is a question only you can answer.

What are you doing with the data?  Are critical new items added regularly?  How regularly?

Do you cycle through several versions of backup or just make one?

What is it you are trying to protect yourself from?  Hard drive failure?  Theft?  Kid getting the computer infected?  Accidental deletion?  Floods?

Start to lay out your risks and what you do in response will be obvious.  For MOST people, that's hard drive failure.  I would say don't do it more often than weekly, just because you can get corrupted files from a failing HD (they don't always go out like a light) and spread that corruption to your backup.

If it's an actual drive image, make sure you know how to get it back, or have the boot CDs for the software you are using and know how to use them.

Backups for computers are just like the bug out SHTF plan. It will be very different depending on your situation.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 7:26:17 AM EDT
[#6]
How often depends on how important the data is - I do mine daily.  Really important stuff gets burned on DVD or CD also.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 9:21:33 AM EDT
[#7]
on my personal pc.. maybe once a month.

I dont really have anything super critical on here, just music/pictures/some word doc.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top