Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/15/2015 11:02:29 AM EDT
to change an alternator, tensioner, and idler pulley on his 2007 mustang 4.0?

A friend of mine was quoted at ~$1200 by AAMCO for replacing those things . When he mentioned it I nearly shit a brick and told him to hold off and I'll help him. Now he's determined to pay me to help him out.

I don't mind helping him. He doesn't know a lot about cars, so I'm going to teach him and have him do most of the work. But of course, my time is valuable.

He doesn't seem to have a problem paying me, however I have had a friend pay me for doing auto work.

What's a fair price to tell him?
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:08:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

A friend of mine was quoted at ~$1200 by AAMCO for replacing those things . When he mentioned it I nearly shit a brick and told him to hold off and I'll help him. Now he's determined to pay me to help him out.

I don't mind helping him. He doesn't know a lot about cars, so I'm going to teach him and have him do most of the work. But of course, my time is valuable.

He doesn't seem to have a problem paying me, however I have had a friend pay me for doing auto work.

View Quote

If you charge him money for that, you're not a 'friend'. I think a case of beer is fair compensation
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:10:08 AM EDT
[#2]
1200 bucks?

I don't know Mustangs but that job should be, at worst, no more than a couple hours unless it involves a lot of re and re just to access it.

On my Vette that job would be hour in the driveway. Parts can be had for a couple hundred depending on how much I want to spend on the alternator.

You're in case of beer and pizza territory.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:16:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
1200 bucks?

I don't know Mustangs but that job should be, at worst, no more than a couple hours unless it involves a lot of re and re just to access it.

On my Vette that job would be hour in the driveway. Parts can be had for a couple hundred depending on how much I want to spend on the alternator.

View Quote

'Vettes are super easy to work on.

I would make sure you know what you're getting into.

Personally, I would buy a case of beer, tell him "Whatever it is, it's less than $1200", and if you two have a great time doing the work, leave it at that. If it is a murderous bitch requiring removal of a bunch of unrelated parts to get at, and your friend limp-dicks out/doesn't put forth any effort of his own, then decide on a dollar amount less than $1200 at the end of the job that you can both live with.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:16:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

If you charge him money for that, you're not a 'friend'. I think a case of beer is fair compensation
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He is so happy hes not paying 1200 bucks, he's in shut up and take my money mode

Edit: But I am leaning toward this option. Maybe gas money to drive down there (He's an hour away)
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:17:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
1200 bucks?

View Quote

the FSM shows a job thats so easy a 10 year old could do it

I'm in the give me 20 bucks and I'll buy pizza for us territory
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:18:05 AM EDT
[#6]
50% is fair.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:19:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
50% is fair.
View Quote

Wow, glad you aren't my friend.

I'm with the others.  Pizza and beer.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:19:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Bar tab on him
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:20:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Some beer and dinner if he's really a friend.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:21:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Pizza and beer and gas money is what I texted him. He is a good friend, I've known him since elementary and high school

He's pretty thrilled at this point
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:25:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Nothing.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:27:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Always ask if they have any guns they want to get rid of.  Better than money.

I have a project and 6 vehicles of my own to maintain.  I would only consider working on close family's vehicles if they are in desperate need.

Nobody else gets more than the time of day.  I also think it is stupid to ask the guy that does all his own work to recommend a shop.  How the fuck would I know?

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:27:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Some beer and dinner if he's really a friend.
View Quote

I'd tuck gas money in your pocket when you left too.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:28:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Always ask if they have any guns they want to get rid of.  Better than money.
View Quote

Haha he just bought his first ar15 over the summer. I got him into it
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:33:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Yeah, I'd keep it at beer and pizza. Don't mention gas. Plus it's nice to have people owe you one, even if you never have to collect.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:48:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Nothing.
View Quote

The problem with this is that when I am put in this position, I am afraid to ask again for fear of being seen as taking advantage. I always like to compensate my friends "at least something" for their help.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 1:11:26 PM EDT
[#17]
pizza, beer and snacks on the super bowel
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:46:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Gas money and lunch is my standard for helping friends
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 2:23:44 PM EDT
[#19]
food and beer as long as he's there to help you and wants to learn. If he's just going to drop it off to you and expects you to just fix it and give it back then I'd charge him 1/3 of what he was quoted.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:36:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Not trying to be a dick, but I've been helping friends for years without getting/taking money. Well last year I had to deal with some very serious health issues(cancer) and I found out who were my true friends and which ones were willing to help me when I needed it. It's funny how a lot of people lost my number when I needed help. So if your buddy is a true friend and you know he would drop everything to help you when you needed it, then gas money, beer, dinner is what I would charge. If it's one of the other type of friends, make it worth your while.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 2:48:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Back in my Stang Banging days, when we would go over to help someone out, beer and barbecue.

Hell, it got to the point I was doing all the cooking, and everyone told me to STFA from the cars.  I am like, WTF Over?

You're a decent mechanic Bro, but a helluva great cook.  I left it at that.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 2:53:19 AM EDT
[#22]
That sound really easy.  I'd tell him to buy the parts and pick up some pizza and I'd just do it for him.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:03:05 PM EDT
[#23]
update:

turned out that (surprise) AAMCO was full of shit, and it wasn't anything to do with the alternator or serp belt. The noise was coming from the transmission..... that Ford recently replaced. Needless to say he's happy I figured it out for him.

Fought with a rusted nut on the back of the antenna mount then ran a new wire for that.

All said and done, I got 60 bucks and lunch, he's happy that whatever is wrong is covered under fords warranty, and he's going to give me a call when he's ready to put some lowering springs on his new mustang
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top