Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/10/2001 10:36:47 AM EDT
since you got out of military service???

Recently tried to put on my dress blues (didnt go so good). Currently in the IRR and gained twenty lbs :( .  My fatass needs to do some PT...heh.
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 10:51:54 AM EDT
[#1]
About 100 lbs. Check the "handle".
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 10:53:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Not too much.

[img]www.uglypeople.com/uglymen/ugly-images/up-men-00471.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 10:53:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Here is my life history on weight:
1. Age 6 I was found to be very underweight
2. Age 12 I weighed a little more than normal
3. Drafted into Army 1970 at 152 lbs.
4. At completion of Basic training 169 lbs.
5. 1972 upon ETS 165 lbs.
6. Meet my wife in 1974 at 185 lbs.
7. 2 years later 235 lbs.
8. Started weight lifting down to 205 lbs.
9. 1976 - 1984 average 200 lbs.
10. 1984 - 1997 gradual increase to 245 lbs.
11. Stopped lifting just walking now 265 lbs.

lets see 152 lbs when drafted - 265 lbs at age 50, that would be 113 lbs I have gained. Which way to the bone yard people. I do not drink or smoke I gain weight just looking at food.
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 11:11:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 11:38:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Something is going on in this society because I notice a lot of folks have packed on a lot of Weight, way more so than can be explained simply by stating they eat too much.

I've read that there is a Virus, yes, a Virus that causes Weight Gain and I wonder if there's something going on that our Glorious Controlled Media and Politicians aren't telling us?
[img]http://a1964.g.akamai.net/7/1964/1392/1dcf6501c8f9fa/images.ucomics.com/comics/mb/2001/mb010721.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 10:43:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I've lost 42 lb's. Been working real hard at watching what I eat. I weigh myself once in the morning and once at night before I go to sleep.
I find that my weight will fluctuate by about 2-3 lbs just from water and food.

I've cut back on my carbohydrate and fat intake. Drink lots of diet Snapple or other diet drinks, eat rice crackers and go on walks.

My biggest meal is either during breakfast or lunch. Dinner I usually just eat some watermelon and corn.

10 more pounds and I will crack the 200lb barrier !

Steamed veggies are good. I eat some meat (not much though ) on the weekends.

No Pizza and Beer and Ice Cream for me! :-(
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 11:53:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Lets see, 1967 going in was 185. got out in '82  at 190. Went in hospital in May '01 for 2 weeks at 180, came out at 150, now weigh 160 and on a diet of carrots and celery, AND for the weekend, I get to eat some deer meat, HOT DAMM, love those weekends.
Ahhh would you beleive 20lbs less?
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 11:59:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Been off active duty for 2 years now and gained about 35 pounds. If I was called back up in a crisis I will request maternity BDU's
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 12:14:09 AM EDT
[#9]
180 when I got out in 1975, I now weigh 175.

I went up to close to 190 when I first got out and was staying at home with Mom and Dad for a short period eating Mom's home cooking.

I generally hover between 168 and 185 depending on the time of year and my amount of exercise.
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 12:24:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Well I never served in an official manner. But I still have my dress blues from the Civil Air Patrol National Cadet Competion that were fitted for me back when I was 18. That was 7 years and 40 lbs. ago.

Time to start working out I think.[IMG]http://ubb.mcuzi.com/ubb/icons/icon68.gif[/IMG]
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 12:42:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 4:24:02 AM EDT
[#12]
I weigh less now that I did when I got out of boot camp and significantly less than I did when I was discharged.  

I know a lot of people say they gain weight because they don't excercise enough... that's part of it.  But there are plenty of people who don't excercise at all who maintain a normal weight.  It's because they've learned to adjust their [i]calorie intake[/i] to their [i]calorie output.[/i]

Americans, on average, are getting fatter because of poor diet practices.  Everything is "super-sized" or "a generous portion" and I don't think people know what a [i]single serving[/i] actually is anymore.  If you start reading nutritional content and serving sizes on things and it will blow your mind how much we overeat.

You want to lose weight?  Cut out fast food, sodas and snacks like chips... completely.  Add a lot more lean proteins like chicken and fish.  Eat a moderate amount of complex carbohydrates like potatoes and rice.  Watch your simple sugars.  Count your calories and document what you eat and when (useful for figuring out your eating habits).  If you find yourself hungry all the time, eat smaller meals every 3-4 hours.  

Even if you didn't excercise one bit, if you modify your eating habits you WILL lose weight.  Simply reduce your caloric intake compared to your output.

It always kills me when someone says they've gained a ton of weight simply because they didn't excercise enough.  Yes, but you [i]also[/i] were overeating....

Link Posted: 8/11/2001 5:05:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Miss M is right on the money except for rice and potatoes. There are better choices for carbs that have a lower GI. A portion of rice is 1/2 cup of cooked rice or 1/2 of a baked potato. When I ate rice I would eat more then that while tasting it!

Exercise is the key, as you get older your metabolism slows down. You either have to reduce caloric intake or burn it up.

I'll go back prior to military service. I'm what I weighed in 10th grade of H.S. when I was a jock.  Unfortunately my BMI is not the same. I'm working on it though.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 5:13:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 5:15:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Rice and potatoes are complex carbohydrates.. your body does need some carbs for energy.  These are just preferable sources compared to simple carbs.  This is per a nutritionist friend of mine as well as a few body builders I work with who are prepping for competition.

What would you recommend instead?  

* most vegetables are just simple carbs and roughage
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 5:28:07 AM EDT
[#16]
I've put on about 40 lbs., but I got out immediately after returning from Desert Storm, and I hadn't been that light (157lbs.) since junior high!  I weighed about 210 when I enlisted, and 165 by the time basic training / AIT was over.  I walked right by my parents and they never recognized me...twice.

Most of my active duty time I hovered around 175 - 180 thanks to the german food and beer.  If I hadn't PT'd my ass off, I would have been as big as a house.  Oh to have the natural metabolism of youth again......but I digress.

It has been 10 years now, and I generally stayed around 185-190 with occasional spikes up to my old familiar 210 (once getting as high as 214 one Christmas YIKES!).  

Six months ago I caved in to those Bow-Flex commercials and jumped right in with both feet.  Now I almost never drink soda, and consume somewhere between 1-1.5 gallons of water a day.  I am hovering at 198, but my waist is almost back to active duty size.  I can't even think about buttoning the top 3 of the class "B" shirt.  If any of you are thinking "does that Bow Flex thing really work? It does.  Mind you, you won't look like the dude pitching it, but it works better than the gym for me since I can easily work out around my schedule.  If I can ever get my knee figured out and fixed, I'll start running again.

Saleen
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 5:45:31 AM EDT
[#17]
There's a good book that explains the response that high GI foods have. It's not the gospel but it has some good info in it.

Search the net for tons of related info. The important thing is finding something that works for you and that you stick with it long term.

SyndromeX Link: [url]http://www.syndrome-x.com/[/url]

Most types of beans and other veggies are better choices then rice and potatoes. I gave them up completely because I can't eat a normal portion of them.

Links to the GI that might be helpful:

[url]http://members.nbci.com/hexaquad/health3.htm[/url]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top