Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/1/2009 6:23:38 PM EDT
I kn ow everything related to anything related to anything with no standards for price or payment varies, but I am wondering.

I have a piece of property that is basically an "L".  It is the north half of a quarter and the sw 1/4 of the nw 1/4.  The terrain is basically flat with a dry creek in the middle and it has good access.  To get all the corners you will have to go for a walk as there is no road around the place.  No trees or rocks in the way of anything.  This is in the middle of Washington state.

How much in general has anyone paid or if we have a land surveyer here, what would he approximately charge for work?
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 6:36:43 PM EDT
[#1]
What is the acreage?  If they have line of sight and do not have to do any clearing, you should expect about $2-4 hundred per acre.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 9:03:44 PM EDT
[#2]
$200-400 dollars per acre?  Are they going to line the borders with solid gold twine?
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 9:23:09 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

$200-400 dollars per acre? Are they going to line the borders with solid gold twine?

The bank lets me live on this little rectangle 122ftx78ft and the survey was $500.  The guy came out for less than ten minutes and stuffed four orange flags in the ground.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:07:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I was quoted 800 for a stake survy on my 125x75ft lot when I was going my fence. This was from a large survey company. I went off of the mortage surey and called it good.

J-
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:33:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I was quoted 800 for a stake survy on my 125x75ft lot when I was going my fence. This was from a large survey company. I went off of the mortage surey and called it good.

J-

That's what I was quoted when I bought my 1/3 acre.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:36:20 AM EDT
[#6]
15% of value
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:38:32 AM EDT
[#7]
There are certain things to save money on, and surveyers aren't one of them. Get a reputable long established company, or you might have neighbor trouble later on.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:04:36 AM EDT
[#8]
just cost me 1,800.00
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:12:40 AM EDT
[#9]
I paid $1400 to have 20 acres surveyed and subbed into two 10 acre parcels. It's pretty heavily wooded. The previous survey was done 20 years ago.  I did quit a bit of brushing along the property lines before they came out to save them time/effort and me money.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:17:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Trade CTD a few boxes of 7.62 wolf, and have them sub-contract some surveyors for you.

I would bet the contractors show up wearing Voodoo Tactical Inc carbon knuckle gloves and multicam boonie hats.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:26:03 AM EDT
[#11]
A survey crew charges roughly $125 an hour. They will have to research the property, and that is typically done by a project manager or in a big company a research person. When I was a project manager my billable rate was $75/ hour. They will figure a price upon request.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:26:06 AM EDT
[#12]
I haven't called - but when I ask neighbors it seems the around-about figures they quote me all start with a "five" and end in some multiple of "hundred."

So I'd say $500 minimum in suburbia Ohio.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:33:26 AM EDT
[#13]
There is no fixed formula to find price.Some of the factors involved are: Has the parcel been surveyed before? Have any of the adjoining parcels been surveyed,if so by who and how long ago?Are the current and past deeds of the parcel and adjoining parcels clear and descriptive or are they very general or even conflicting? One of the big questions is has the survey company involved done any work in the general area?
Size of the parcel matters as does the features of the parcel and the big question is how busy the survey company is and when do you need this survey? What is the reputation of the survey company?

A "cheep" survey can cost a huge pile of pile of money in the long run.

One of the ongoing problems in the survey business is that the time the crew spends in the field at the actual parcel is not a large % of the actual time and work that is necessary to do a good survey
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:35:28 AM EDT
[#14]
I paid $300 to have one property line surveyed on my 2 acre lot in the Tri-Cities about 3 years ago.  The neighbor and I wanted to be sure my fence was in the right spot, so we split the cost.

ETA: The only reason I had the survey done was because I could not find the rebar stake in one corner, the surveyor put a new one in, which the power company took out when they did some work this year
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:36:51 AM EDT
[#15]
A few years ago some enterprising folks bought some property in town. They paid a contractor to erect a building and they opened a bar. Problem is they thought they knew everything and ignored the locals that informed them that part of their building was encroaching upon the Masonic lodge property. They were informed in plenty of time to make adjustments but they were from California and have superior intellect. They ignored the repeated warnings so the 500 bucks they should have spent on the survey ultimately cost them their business and their life savings. The Masonic lodge got a nice cement slab to park on once the building was removed.

Don't scrimp, use a reputable company and have it done right.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:53:47 AM EDT
[#16]
I paid $1500 to have a heavily wooded,10 acre parcel surveyed and a subdivision plat done with perk test borings marked.

Jane
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top