Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/2/2005 7:58:39 AM EDT
What's normal weight gain for a 140 lb woman when she's pregnant eight months? Not fat, just the baby and stuff.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:03:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Typically around 30 pounds...some do less, some more...each pregnancy is different: with my first I gained over 60 Second I gained just over 30...
But if you like breathing, keep telling her she looks WONDERFUL or you risk her showing you first hand what extra weight and hormones can do for her right hook!
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:04:49 AM EDT
[#2]
My wife (110lbs when we got preggers the first time)

1st baby - 18lbs (baby was 6lbs 10oz)

2nd baby - 80lbs (baby was 5lbs 8oz)

3rd baby - 45lbs (baby was 6lbs 14oz)

No rhyme or reason we could see.  She barfed way more with the 2nd baby and the baby was our smallest so we never could figure out why she gained so much weight.

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:11:07 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Typically around 30 pounds...some do less, some more...each pregnancy is different: with my first I gained over 60 Second I gained just over 30...
But if you like breathing, keep telling her she looks WONDERFUL or you risk her showing you first hand what extra weight and hormones can do for her right hook!

One of my good friends's husbands learned that the hard way.  Although she is left-handed, so it was probably her left hook.  Either way, he got a busted lip over it, and he said a couple of his teeth were a bit loose for a while.

They're divorced now, and pretty much everyone says she's better off without him.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:15:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I'm going to have to agree with that comment!  My ex liked to tell me how big my butt had gotten.....

I gained about 35 lbs with my son and he weighed in at 8lbs 12oz
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:17:11 AM EDT
[#5]
My wife LOST weight... stopped our weekend bbq's/drinking, and ate healthier.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:19:17 AM EDT
[#6]
I have made/paid for the mistake of assuming someone is pregnant on a few occasions.  "So, whens the baby due?"  

Never goes over well.  There is no real way to recover from it other than applying ice or a frozen steak to the black eye and avoiding the person for a long long time.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:24:31 AM EDT
[#7]
My best friends wife normally weighs 135 she is a buck ninty now. They induce labor today. Hurrah I'm gonna be a godfather.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:29:59 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I have made/paid for the mistake of assuming someone is pregnant on a few occasions.  "So, whens the baby due?"  

Never goes over well.  There is no real way to recover from it other than applying ice or a frozen steak to the black eye and avoiding the person for a long long time.

NEVER ask if a lady's pregnant UNLESS there is a baby emerging from her womb!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:46:31 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

NEVER ask if a lady's pregnant UNLESS there is a baby emerging from her womb!!!!!

Gee thanks!!  Now you tell me.  I could have used that information oh say.....10 years ago!  

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:47:08 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly!

I'm thinking a lot of the weight has got to be all the water/ fluids.  So just because she's barfin' or eating better doesn't factor in as much (yeah it probably makes a difference, but it can't account for 100% of the weight gain/ loss).  

I learned the hard way as well... never ever ever ever ever say anything about a pregnant womans weight.  Don't tell her she's waddling, resist the urge to tell her she looks tired.  Just... keep the ole mouth shut and everyone will be happier.

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:22:04 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

+1 on that one too, dunno why either.  

Oh, and whoever started that rumor about preggo women being horny was full of doodoo as well.  Never happened.I got more of that, look what you did to me! than anything else.

Have to admit though, my wife glowed all thru her pregnancy, GLOWED.  I think part of it was all the attention she got from me,friends and her family.

ETA: CP, glad to see that you are back.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:11:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Shall we start expecting little private poobys [or would that be poobies?] anytime soon Captn?

Patty
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:42:00 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh, and whoever started that rumor about preggo women being horny was full of doodoo as well.  Never happened.I got more of that, look what you did to me! than anything else.

Have to admit though, my wife glowed all thru her pregnancy, GLOWED.  I think part of it was all the attention she got from me,friends and her family.

Um...well...OK...if you say so...but well...uh....
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:47:59 AM EDT
[#14]
My mother gained only 15 lbs. with me....I hope I'm that lucky

I've seen a lot of pregnant woman during my brief years working in an office, and they've all gained between 30 and 60 lbs.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 12:32:40 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

yeah uhhh whatever.. umm gonna have to agree with uhhhh Playmore here

as far as the weight gain, I gained 60lbs with #1, she was 7lbs7oz. 65lbs with #2, she was 8lbs and 35lbs with #3, he was 8lbs2oz. Each pregnancy and each woman is different. Doctors really don't want you gaining more then 30 lbs though.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 12:34:14 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

as far as the weight gain, I gained 60lbs with #1, she was 7lbs7oz. 65lbs with #2, she was 8lbs and 35lbs with #3, he was 8lbs2oz. Each pregnancy and each woman is different. Doctors really don't want you gaining more then 30 lbs though.

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:26:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Before everyone thinks I have Poobie Jrs on the way, that is not the case! Whew! Dont have any, dont want any.
People will actually PAY YOU to take their kids, why have 'em?
I was just curious so I asked here. I found a website that you punch in before ht&wt and it punches out the weight at nine months. Playmore was right on, the site said 29.95 lbs.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:53:58 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Before everyone thinks I have Poobie Jrs on the way, that is not the case! Whew! Dont have any, dont want any.
I was just curious so I asked here. I found a website that you punch in before ht&wt and it punches out the weight at nine months. Playmore was right on, the site said 29.95 lbs.

What can I say...BTDT...
but I am NDTA... As I like to say:

Baby factory closed...amusement park, however, is now open.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:56:34 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What can I say...BTDT...

Where does the line start?  
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:59:57 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What can I say...BTDT...

<snarfing Martini>
See, now hubby likes to follow up that comment with "I have a ride all day pass...no lines no waiting!"
<looks at monitor closely...staring at DVr9>
Honey?????? Is that YOU??????????????
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 2:22:11 PM EDT
[#21]
When I was pregnant with my first two kids, the recommended weight gain was 30 pounds.  With the last two the recommended weight gain was 40 pounds - supposedly the added fat was good for brain development.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 2:43:26 PM EDT
[#22]
I weighed about 103 when I got pregnant with Jacob.  I gained 23 pounds the whole time, and lost it all within a couple of weeks.  3 weeks after I gave birth, I wore a size 0 skirt to graduation :)  

This time starting out I weighed about 107 and I've stayed right about there and am about 14 weeks and 3 days. :) YAY for babies
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 3:05:05 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I weighed about 103 when I got pregnant with Jacob.  I gained 23 pounds the whole time, and lost it all within a couple of weeks.  3 weeks after I gave birth, I wore a size 0 skirt to graduation :)  

This time starting out I weighed about 107 and I've stayed right about there and am about 14 weeks and 3 days. :) YAY for babies

You Miss, are blessed with extroadinary genes!
I'd hate you...but I'm too jealous to feel hatred right now!
Seriously? took me a year to remove both the 60 pound first baby weight gain (nearly 8 pounds of it baby) and the 32 pound second baby weight gain (nearly a 9 pounder).
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 11:58:24 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Umm.....well, now that I look back at it she was waayyy too busy shopping and doing the boys room to notice anything else going on around her. NOT THAT I AM COMPLAINING!!!  I dont plan on a second time to see if the rumor is true or not.  Gonna take myself out of the gene pool soon.

My wife was a lil on the chunky side and lost 14 lbs throughout her pregnancy, our son wieghed 9lbs 8oz and was 23" long.  After that and watching the C section, I so totally respect her for that adventure.  The birth was not fun for her at all, in fact, it was pretty rough on everyone involved.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:18:05 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What can I say...BTDT...

<snarfing Martini>
See, now hubby likes to follow up that comment with "I have a ride all day pass...no lines no waiting!"
<looks at monitor closely...staring at DVr9>
Honey?????? Is that YOU??????????????

I forgot about this post.  I can't be your hubby, I'm not married...yet.  Someday, some lucky women will get her hooks into me, but until then, I am here for your (the women of ARFCOM) enjoyment and abuse.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:13:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:00:53 AM EDT
[#27]
I was told how much to gain depending on my pre-pregnancy weight. The less I weighed, the more I was told to gain, ranging from 20-60 lbs.

I remember with one, being told to gain 10 lbs before the next check-up.

That was kind of fun
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 3:01:28 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I think I ended up gaining about 40 with my first (8 lbs 14 oz) and 3 pounds with my second (9 lbs 11oz).  I had horrible heartburn the second time around and couldn't eat.

OMG...Me Too!!!
I ate practically nada the last 2 mos...and the kid weighed nearly 9 pounds! Imagine if I HAD eaten! I had him c-section and because I have a small torso, when they took him out, I took my first deep breath in months...nurses all laughed. One said, "Haven't done that in awhile, huh? That kid was practically in your throat!"

Why do we do it again????

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 4:16:54 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I think I ended up gaining about 40 with my first (8 lbs 14 oz) and 3 pounds with my second (9 lbs 11oz).  I had horrible heartburn the second time around and couldn't eat.

OMG...Me Too!!!
I ate practically nada the last 2 mos...and the kid weighed nearly 9 pounds! Imagine if I HAD eaten! I had him c-section and because I have a small torso, when they took him out, I took my first deep breath in months...nurses all laughed. One said, "Haven't done that in awhile, huh? That kid was practically in your throat!"

because the joys of motherhood far out weigh the pain and suffering of heartburn, peeing every 5 minutes, not being able to breath or sleep, peeing every 5 minutes, the pain of stretching muscles, did I mention peeing every 5 mintues?
And let's not forget the labor   , or the recovery of child birth, be it natural or c/s, neither one is easy.
I think we are gluttons for punishment.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 11:21:28 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:31:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:35:04 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

OMG...Me Too!!!

because the joys of motherhood far out weigh the pain and suffering of heartburn, peeing every 5 minutes, not being able to breath or sleep, peeing every 5 minutes, the pain of stretching muscles, did I mention peeing every 5 mintues?
And let's not forget the labor   , or the recovery of child birth, be it natural or c/s, neither one is easy.
I think we are gluttons for punishment.

No matter what is ever said, I WILL TOTALLY, ALWAYS RESPECT WOMEN WHO HAVE GIVEN BIRTH TO A CHILD.  Watching my wife go through it, 21 hours of not quite to the 8 mark, her spending most of the night in and out of the hot-tub....then finally getting to the point where she needed/wanted/could have the epidural,having everything go too fast after that, pushing for 2 hours only to realize that our son's head was not turned the right way and stuck on her pelvis...then to see her rushed into the c-section (the ink wasnt even all the way on the release form yet) then to see her insides placed on her chest and our son pulled out.......WOW. That was traumatic to say the least.  I've never fealt so freakin helpless in my life.  But she says its all worth it now......man, she must really, REALLY love our son!

Kudos to those of you who have done the deed.  Wow.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top