Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2012 9:37:20 AM EST
How many brick is that, what should it weigh?
___________________________________________________________________________________________
(The sub crew goes over their checklist with mission control including a henwey. "Wait, what's a henwey?"--Snyder
"Oh, about 5 pounds."--pilot, (w,stte), "Deep Star 6")
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 9:38:07 AM EST
[Last Edit: 12/27/2012 9:39:42 AM EST by BB]
Pallet of red brick = 532, 1 ton (hence the expression)
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 9:39:35 AM EST
1 ton.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 9:39:46 AM EST
[Last Edit: 12/27/2012 9:40:20 AM EST by Snowleopard]
But is a pallet of brick the same as a cube of brick? It sounds like it.....but it would be nice to be sure before I start committing.

Some of the numbers I am seeing actually say more like 2300ish lbs.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 9:41:42 AM EST
Depends on the size of brick and density. More specifics are needed. We are assuming an industry standard of a 4'x4' pallet of bricks, correct?
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 9:44:46 AM EST
Acme brick, used for house building.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 9:47:29 AM EST
Originally Posted By Snowleopard:

Wile E. Coyote says that Acme brick is one ton per cube. He know's from experience.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 9:48:17 AM EST
Standard, modular or Econ?
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 9:49:40 AM EST
Here's the ad, you tell me.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 9:50:16 AM EST
Some of them have holes.

If a pallet is one ton would you get more holy bricks than in a pallet of unholy brick?
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 9:51:14 AM EST
Free? Yeah, go get it.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 9:52:50 AM EST
Originally Posted By Hugo_Stiglitz:

Wile E. Coyote says that Acme brick is one ton per cube. He know's from experience.

However, he has had his head hit several times and his memory is suspect.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 9:54:40 AM EST
Originally Posted By callgood:
Some of them have holes.

If a pallet is one ton would you get more holy bricks than in a pallet of unholy brick?

It depends on whether or not you're building a church. (I crack myself up sometimes! )
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 9:56:48 AM EST
Can we keep this discussion serious, please?
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 9:59:33 AM EST
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 10:00:03 AM EST

In GD?

No.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 10:02:59 AM EST
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 10:08:06 AM EST

Those mortar joints look like shit. Must not have been a Mexican brick layer.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 10:15:24 AM EST
But is a pallet of brick the same as a cube of brick? It sounds like it.....but it would be nice to be sure before I start committing.

sounds like a metric tonne of brick......................
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 10:25:28 AM EST
Originally Posted By Dunragit:

sounds like a metric tonne of brick......................

Perhaps, that is off the information I was able to pull from the Net, which was pretty fuzzy, which is why I came here to ask the question.

I am thinking it will take me two trips with the pickup and thinking I need at least a wheelbarrow to move the brick from his yard to the truck.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 10:38:12 AM EST
[Last Edit: 12/27/2012 10:39:57 AM EST by operatorerror]
Are you worried about the weight rating of your truck? IIRC your truck is a 1 ton. Two or three hundred extra pounds will not be a problem.

eta Have you called the guy yet? A pallet of free brick wouldn't last long where I live.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 10:43:40 AM EST
Originally Posted By operatorerror:
Are you worried about the weight rating of your truck? IIRC your truck is a 1 ton. Two or three hundred extra pounds will not be a problem.

eta Have you called the guy yet? A pallet of free brick wouldn't last long where I live.

No, my truck is a 3/4 ton.......a 350 is a ton.

No, I have not called him.......since once I gave out the ad, it became a moot point. Saying where I will be does not do too much for my PERSEC. So, alas, I have to pass them up while I get information of how to move it for the next time around.

Got to go, found an alternate target.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 10:44:12 AM EST

Are we talking about reefer here or what?
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 10:45:20 AM EST
[Last Edit: 12/27/2012 10:46:11 AM EST by SevenMaryThree]

Are we talking about reefer here or what?

Read the thread.

Have it delivered. No matter how far out you live it will be worth it.

eta2 - Strangest double tap / edit ever. I think I broke space.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 10:46:07 AM EST
How many cubes in a brick shit house?

Seriously, my 1 ton dually hauled a pallet of Quickcrete, all 3600 pounds of it, with little issue. The truck went level with the load over the rear axle.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 10:50:08 AM EST

No, I have not called him.......since once I gave out the ad, it became a moot point. Saying where I will be does not do too much for my PERSEC. So, alas, I have to pass them up while I get information of how to move it for the next time around.

You actually think someone here is going to chase you down? Hell, if they did, I'd put 'em to work as a hod carrier.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 11:02:04 AM EST

You actually think someone here is going to chase you down? Hell, if they did, I'd put 'em to work as a hod carrier.

It's Snowleopard, just roll with it.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 11:04:39 AM EST
[Last Edit: 12/27/2012 11:05:16 AM EST by VBC]
You could always rent a trailer from U-Haul, et. al.

Make sure you have the right size hitch ball. They vary in size. Probably need a 2" ball for a decent sized trailer, but check first.

Also, want a Class III hitch or higher.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 11:17:50 AM EST
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 12:30:14 PM EST
Originally Posted By Disintegr8or:

Those mortar joints look like shit. Must not have been a Mexican brick layer.

Very few Mexicans lay brick as well as Americans.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 2:03:39 PM EST
Well, I'm back from the secondary target.

The Forester is loaded up which sort of is a lesson to me. Might want to go with more lift capability than what I think I may need. He may have more in the picture or he may have extra stuff to hand out.......and in this case, it was true on both fronts.

The Forester did it......but it's really sitting down on that rear axle.

As far as the cube of bricks go, a thing or two. Okay, it's a learning lesson. It's a learning lesson in that I need some kind of wheelbarrow or a cart to carry with me. That I probably need a tarp and straps for the bed as well. I need to research trailers to figure out both what I can get real quick in a day.....and how to drive with one.

And as far as having that particular pallet of bricks delivered.................................I think that is asking a bit much of a man who is giving away a pallet free.
_________________________________________________________________________________________
("All day.......but you have to leave the car."--foreign sounding mechanic, (w,stte), old AMOCO commercial)
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 2:09:03 PM EST
Driving a trailer is easy as long as you don't cut your turns too tight (and clip the curbs). Swing a little wider than you usually would because the trailer wheels will track a tighter radius as you turn.

Backing up a trailer can be difficult at first. Practicing in an empty parking lot until you get the hang of it might be a good idea.

When you back up it will want to jack knife when you turn, so if you want the end of the trailer to go left, make the rear of the vehicle go right and vice versa. If you get all kinked up, then pull forward to straighten out and try again.

Dropping the tailgate so you can turn your head around and watch the trailer as you back up will help a lot too.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 2:12:07 PM EST
For backing up a trailer hold the wheel at 6 oclock. Then the trailer will turn the same direction your hands go.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 2:23:57 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/27/2012 2:27:20 PM EST by VBC]
Originally Posted By Pokernut:
For backing up a trailer hold the wheel at 6 oclock. Then the trailer will turn the same direction your hands go.

Damn, learn something new everyday. All these years backing up trailers and never even thought of that.

Even once you get your turning down, you still have to get a feel of it through practice so you're not correcting back and forth as you're backing and it's trying to jacknife. You kind of have to "ride" the turn when you get the trailer backing up and pointed where you want it to go.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 2:25:37 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/27/2012 2:44:56 PM EST by CROQ]

There is something conspicuously missing from your posts.

Are you OK?

If you are after lots of bricks, look up brick tongs and brick dolly. A wheelbarrow is great for dirt.

Eta, I damn went dyslexic.

Link Posted: 12/27/2012 2:29:42 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/27/2012 2:29:54 PM EST by BuckHammer]
Let's see. A "brick" is one kilogram, right? I assume we're talking cocaine right now.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 2:49:36 PM EST
You have a new pickup truck, yet you took a Forester to pick up a load of brick?
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 2:59:05 PM EST
a cube of brick is 4x4x4 or 16x16x16
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 3:05:35 PM EST

Originally Posted By VacaDuck:
You have a new pickup truck, yet you took a Forester to pick up a load of brick?

It's a big truck, silly man
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 3:17:28 PM EST
Well, I'm back from the secondary target.

The Forester is loaded up which sort of is a lesson to me. Might want to go with more lift capability than what I think I may need. He may have more in the picture or he may have extra stuff to hand out.......and in this case, it was true on both fronts.

The Forester did it......but it's really sitting down on that rear axle.

As far as the cube of bricks go, a thing or two. Okay, it's a learning lesson. It's a learning lesson in that I need some kind of wheelbarrow or a cart to carry with me. That I probably need a tarp and straps for the bed as well. I need to research trailers to figure out both what I can get real quick in a day.....and how to drive with one.

And as far as having that particular pallet of bricks delivered.................................I think that is asking a bit much of a man who is giving away a pallet free.
_________________________________________________________________________________________
("All day.......but you have to leave the car."--foreign sounding mechanic, (w,stte), old AMOCO commercial)

You seem to worry an awful lot about... an awful lot of things... an awful lot of the time.

Don't you ever just relax and... go do something.

wow.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 7:48:21 PM EST
Originally Posted By VacaDuck:

No. I took the Forester to pick up things at the secondary target. It was not the load of brick target.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 8:34:10 PM EST
Your 250 will handle a ton in the bed just fine. Just bear in mind to increase your breaking distance. I've had a ton of gravel / river rocks in my 150. Didn't hit the stops, so you'll be fine.

And there's no reason at all you can't roll up to Home Depot early in the morning and offer $60 to a couple of guys to load that stuff on your truck. That's why they're there, they want to work.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 8:49:57 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/27/2012 8:56:36 PM EST by Snowleopard]
Originally Posted By leatherface_y2k:
Your 250 will handle a ton in the bed just fine. Just bear in mind to increase your breaking distance. I've had a ton of gravel / river rocks in my 150. Didn't hit the stops, so you'll be fine.

And there's no reason at all you can't roll up to Home Depot early in the morning and offer $60 to a couple of guys to load that stuff on your truck. That's why they're there, they want to work.

Something to keep in mind. Actually, was thinking for a while with just little ole me in the cab, it should work out. But then the quest for knowledge turned the mission to mush, so it became a moot point.

As to the latter, the giver posted the ad at 1230ish and as can be expected, it's gone now. So as to Craigslist and Home Depot, perhaps not the best deal. As to strangers, my crew cab, and 160 mile trip..............we-ll..................
_________________________________________________________________________________
("And don't try anything! I have a crowbar within reach!"--Gillian to the Enterprise Firsts, (w,stte), "ST IV: TVH"
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 8:59:54 PM EST
Just out of curiosity, what are you looking to build with a ton of brick? I understand that free is good, but a square won't build much more than one wall. Or are you willing to build the hacienda with mis-matched brick? Not there's anything wrong with that, I've seen houses with mix & match brickwork and they look fine to me. Or mix 'em and cover it all with stucco. That's an easy do-it-yourself that's practical and looks good as well.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 9:11:55 PM EST
Just out of curiosity, what are you looking to build with a ton of brick? I understand that free is good, but a square won't build much more than one wall. Or are you willing to build the hacienda with mis-matched brick? Not there's anything wrong with that, I've seen houses with mix & match brickwork and they look fine to me. Or mix 'em and cover it all with stucco. That's an easy do-it-yourself that's practical and looks good as well.

It depends on when I actually get around to building. Thoughts that I have had is to use the first brick to build a storage building or for building the safe room and then building the house around it or for laying down a drive way or even building a wall. Part of the load I picked up today had broken brick in it and that might eventually for for a wall or drive/walk way.

Yes, I am thinking of building the hacienda with mis matched brick.

As things do, I am looking at another potential material pickup tomorrow that I would use the 250 for, especially as the Forester is loaded right now. It may mean I spend part of the weekend unloading here and there, but, oh well! As things go, I do have a tarp, I do have lots of rope, and tomorrow may be an exercise, if I go get it, in cargo loading 101.

What is it? White Elephant, disassembled, 100 pieces, it's yours if you come get it.
("A little bit of this-A little bit of that. A pot, a pan, a broom, a hat, .........Someone should have set a match to this place years ago, A bench, a tree. So, what's a stove? Or a house?......,"--lyrics, (w,stte), Anatevka, "Fiddler on the Roof")
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 9:19:47 PM EST
So, you basically just bought a ton of brick, and now you're going to be looking for a way to use it. Well, that's one way to do it, I guess.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 9:21:55 PM EST
___________________________________________________________________________________________
(The sub crew goes over their checklist with mission control including a henwey. "Wait, what's a henwey?"--Snyder

do you know how to set your signature in your settings instead of having to post it in almost every post?
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 9:23:38 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/27/2012 9:25:35 PM EST by Snowleopard]
Originally Posted By Husky79:

do you know how to set your signature in your settings instead of having to post it in almost every post?

I don't want to know that since my "signatures" are a relation to what I am typing. Since what I type about changes, they change.

I didn't use them all the time up above since I was in a hurry and trying to get information.

Originally Posted By BuckHammer:
So, you basically just bought a ton of brick, and now you're going to be looking for a way to use it. Well, that's one way to do it, I guess.

Well, no, no, and yes.

No, I wasn't going to buy it. It was free.

Secondly, I didn't get it. In trying to get the details on how to move it, I had to bypass it due to complexity.

Third, though, had I gotten it, yes, I would look for a way to use it. Brick and wood, when it is free, are materials that should not be passed up, that can be used for so many things.
___________________________________________________________________________________
("It's land!"--Jake
"It's DIRT!"--Nog, (w,stte), "DS 9")
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 9:27:36 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/27/2012 9:29:50 PM EST by leatherface_y2k]
Can your neighbors see the site you're building the hacienda on? Is it visible from the road?

The only reason I ask is that many years ago, waaay out in Bosque county, across the little county road from my grampa's ranch, a couple started building a very nice house on their own. Just the two of them. They started in about '76 as I recall. They made a lot of mistakes. Ordered up old bowling alley wood for flooring, nice idea. But it sat out under a tarp for years before they could install it and was all ruined. Some of it was stolen. Other things were stolen as well, equipment, lumber.. They only worked on it on weekends, vacations, etc. Over the years they did get it built and it's a beautiful house.

Just saying that if this project may take years and you're doing it on your own, just make sure there's a way to secure the material you need to have on site.

ETA.. It took them about 10 years doing it themselves to get the house built
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 9:41:06 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/28/2012 5:00:03 AM EST by Snowleopard]
Can your neighbors see the site you're building the hacienda on? Is it visible from the road?

The only reason I ask is that many years ago, waaay out in Bosque county, across the little county road from my grampa's ranch, a couple started building a very nice house on their own. Just the two of them. They started in about '76 as I recall. They made a lot of mistakes. Ordered up old bowling alley wood for flooring, nice idea. But it sat out under a tarp for years before they could install it and was all ruined. Some of it was stolen. Other things were stolen as well, equipment, lumber.. They only worked on it on weekends, vacations, etc. Over the years they did get it built and it's a beautiful house.

Just saying that if this project may take years and you're doing it on your own, just make sure there's a way to secure the material you need to have on site.

ETA.. It took them about 10 years doing it themselves to get the house built

Well, in reverse order.

The final hacienda may take me ten years or I may be dead before it ever gets done. Occupational risk.

Secondly, I am looking at a variety of storages. The stuff in the Forester right now will go out to the ranch. It may not be used for anything but to protect future building material from sitting on the ground. The stuff I am thinking, "bowling alley flooring", about going after tomorrow, though, will be kept in the spare apartment at least for now. I may eventually get a storage shed to keep stuff in especially if it is dirty.

The "small city" generator was going to be storage shed housed but as that plan ran into a need for more time, the storage shed got pushed off. As things go, on a side point, smaller generators have come up on DRMO and I am thinking of putting a minimal bid on one that is F7.....to use it as a teaching tool for me about such things......if my bid gets it.

I do plan to put stuff out of the way, out of sight from the road, but that is part of the calculation for going after free stuff. If it is stolen, the loss is less. It won't be without loss cost given foraging, fuel, wear and tear, finding replacements, but the loss cost is less.

Once I am able to build on my land, one of the first things will be a lockable storage shed.

Edit: or the flooring I am not going after. I ran the numbers and realized just how big the giver was talking about.