Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2005 5:40:50 AM EDT
I know it says $39.95 on the rear door and you have to put fuel in it when you return it but what are the other charges?

How long is the $39.95 for?  How much is each extra mile?  Are there any hidden charges?

This is for the biggest family sized truck.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:45:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:47:11 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Did you call UHAUL and ask?

I want a real world answer.  I know they can mislead you just like anyplace can.  I know they will tell me $39.95 for the truck but I want some actual totals for days and mileage.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 6:06:18 AM EDT
[#3]
The couple times I've rented the bigger U-haul box trucks in the last 2 years,  about 120 miles worth of miles cost me around $119-$129 total.  That doesn't count filling up the truck.

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 6:14:16 AM EDT
[#4]
The advertised "on the door" rates are their "in town" rates, usually for 24 hours from when you pick up the truck.

The rates go out the window when you start looking to use them to move farther than just to a different neighborhood.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 6:15:22 AM EDT
[#5]
U-Haul has the worst reputation when it comes to reliability of their vehicles.

They are usually old and barely run.

It would be worth it to me (and I am broke) to rent from Ryder or another rental agency.  

I have seen it a dozen times---U-Haul on the side of the road and the renters are having to move items from a dead truck to a different truck!   At the end of the month!!!

Good luck!!
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 6:22:09 AM EDT
[#6]
U-Haul sucks. They do not honor their reservations. I would go with anyone but them.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 6:29:25 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
U-Haul sucks. They do not honor their reservations. I would go with anyone but them.

I had an experience back in '95.

Reserved a truck, showed up and they kept me hanging on for a looooong time.....little did I know, the entire time they were trying to get the damned thing started!!

I threw a girly-fit, I was on a schedule, had to load and drive 240 miles one way!!  

They gave me a MUCH larger truck (same price ), good thing, I needed the extra space.  

I have rented them since and had nothing but bad experiences with them.

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:07:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top