Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2011 3:22:17 AM EDT
I'm talking clean ones with no holes in the pelt?

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:31:24 AM EDT
you get what you pay for!
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:34:33 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:35:27 AM EDT
Never seen a pelt without holes, be it from bullet or knife...  
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:55:22 AM EDT
No such thing
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:56:00 AM EDT
They are more useful as chum for shark fishing.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:36:36 AM EDT

Wow..

I'm only a lowly student at a great FL law school, but even I get kind of offended at some of the ignorance in these threads.

Originally Posted By capnrob97:

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:38:43 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Harvster:
I'm talking clean ones with no holes in the pelt?

I'm a lawyer and I laughed my ass off at this.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:39:09 AM EDT
Originally Posted By llm_atw:
Wow..

I'm only a lowly student at a great FL law school, but even I get kind of offended at some of the ignorance in these threads.

So despite the fact the Arfcom lawyers have been saying for years now that law is not a good profession to go into because of the glut of lawyers, you did it anyway.

What does that say about your ignorance.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:41:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/1/2011 5:41:42 AM EDT by RDak]
I've heard Aimless is resonable if you are a New Yorker.

Being you are in Pennsylvania, you ain't too far from him.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:44:14 AM EDT
Wow..

lawyers are like hall monitors for life. Accountants are like scorekeepers for the game of life. I was a player.  No regrets.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:46:30 AM EDT
meh.  the holes/scars add character.  or at least that's what I tell my clients.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:49:05 AM EDT
How much for a decent lawyer?

Let's see that lawyer first.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:49:40 AM EDT
When I hired a lawyer and long time ago he had a sign on his desk that said, "Talk is cheap, unless you are a lawyer".  Some of the best money I ever spent.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:50:35 AM EDT
You said 'decent'.  That translates into $300 an hour.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:59:50 AM EDT
That's kind of a general question though...what TYPE of Lawyer are you looking for?

Some guys specialize in one thing, are very good at it and charge accordingly

An average rate where I live for most things is ~$200 billable hour, now this can vary depending on WHAT type of lawyer you need...and doesn't take into consideration retainer fees.

One of my friends is a young attorney; was assistant DA in 2 counties and now works part time PD and part time on his own. He concentrates on criminal and only charges ~140/hr because he is younger and he has to undercut his competition.

The interesting thing is he fights harder and LOVES going to trial (and not just to bill folks), he isn't jaded by the system as much as some of the older guys or just relying on his reputation and billing folks outrageous sums for plea bargains.

Shop around and get some recommendations from folks in YOUR area.
Speed
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:00:02 AM EDT

I've wanted to be a lawyer since I was knee-high to a grasshopper.. you think I'm going to let a poor economy stop me from pursuing the career of my dreams?

There is a difference between criticizing an honorable profession because of a few bad apples versus criticizing one's career choice because of a bad economy.

Originally Posted By C-4:

So despite the fact the Arfcom lawyers have been saying for years now that law is not a good profession to go into because of the glut of lawyers, you did it anyway.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:01:11 AM EDT
Originally Posted By NoloContendere:
meh.  the holes/scars add character.  or at least that's what I tell my clients.

Nolo, I never realized you were an attorney!!??

OP, call NOLO!!
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:01:26 AM EDT

Wow..

Lighten up, Francis. I guess you missed the smiley.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:06:10 AM EDT
The retainer and hourly rate are not indicators of competence.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:14:17 AM EDT

I've wanted to be a lawyer since I was knee-high to a grasshopper.. you think I'm going to let a poor economy stop me from pursuing the career of my dreams?

There is a difference between criticizing an honorable profession because of a few bad apples versus criticizing one's career choice because of a bad economy.

An up and coming lawyer that doesn't like lawyer jokes.......

Yeah, let us know how that goes.  Better get used to it.  The more you hate it, the more people like me will continue to say it.
I'll assume you're posting from your Honda Accord while sitting in the emergency room parking lot.  Just drumming up business, huh?

Needling people is what I do.
Consider this to be your free consultation.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:21:31 AM EDT

Wow..

So, what in the first few posts you responded to was "ignorant"? Consider this discussion part of your training...let's debate.

ETA: First...kill all the lawyers.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:23:10 AM EDT
What does "no holes in the pelt" mean?
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:27:34 AM EDT
Originally Posted By bafordman:

Means it has no bullet or knife holes in the  skin/fur.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:28:32 AM EDT

has nothing to do with economy per-se.

has more to do with dime a dozen glut of fodder out there.

much harder to get A) hired at a decent firm. B) much harder to rise above the noise of ambulance chasers. C) much harder to not sink to that level to pay for the huge tuition bills that you will be under for the next 10 years.

Lawyerin' ain't what it used to be.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:33:21 AM EDT

1 I've wanted to be a lawyer since I was knee-high to a grasshopper.. you think I'm going to let a poor economy stop me from pursuing the career of my dreams?

2 There is a difference between criticizing an honorable profession because of a few bad apples versus criticizing one's career choice because of a bad economy.

@1  You were doing good.

You obviously bumped your head between 1 and 2.

Good luck, your going to need it.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:33:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/1/2011 6:41:24 AM EDT by bafordman]
Originally Posted By Texaspyro21:

Well, thanks for the literal translation.  

Now, what's it mean in the context used above?

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:35:15 AM EDT

Exactly what Texaspyro posted.

Jesus, there must be a bunch of grumpy lawyers online this morning.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:35:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/1/2011 6:36:00 AM EDT by RaisedByWolves]

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:40:30 AM EDT
How do you get the scales off?
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:43:03 AM EDT
Once you spend a few years doing this crap it will no longer be the career of your dreams.  And you will be back trash talking lawyers.  I should know, I am one too.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:43:17 AM EDT
I think prices vary by region.  When I need a attorney, I usually check out all the local prices and hire the most expensive one in the area.  He'll usually be the guy or gal that's been around the longest, has the most or best connections and plays cards with the judge on weekends and knows how to get the best deals.

I've had to hire the cheapest lawyer I could find before due to being broke and got totally screwed.  Every time I've hired a "good" lawyer, they actually either made or saved me lots of money.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:49:36 AM EDT
Call Roni Deutsch.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:54:04 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Star_Scream:

Call Roni Deutsch.

Hope you don't have an urgent need to talk to the tax attorneys as I am convinced they are only in the office for an hour a day.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:56:38 AM EDT
Originally Posted By FordGuy:
How do you get the scales off?

You have to wait until we're molting to get the pelt otherwise what your getting is more of a crocodillian leather.  
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 7:11:46 AM EDT

What's wrong with chasing ambulances?  Just part of the every day routine

I am simply interested in providing a high quality, specialized service for the going rate commensurate with my going level of experience. Whether that rate is $100 or $300 doesn't much matter to me. I live a simple life. You can make jokes all you want, but taking my time will cost you.

Originally Posted By stutzcattle:

Yeah, let us know how that goes.  Better get used to it.  The more you hate it, the more people like me will continue to say it.

I'll assume you're posting from your Honda Accord while sitting in the emergency room parking lot.  Just drumming up business, huh?

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 7:19:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/1/2011 7:21:04 AM EDT by Crito]
Heh, 200 an hour is normal.  The self proclaimed good ones are 300 hr.  The really good ones are 1000 hr.

then there are the ones thatr go pro-bono and add up 500 an hour, the paralegal is 300 hr, their mistress is 100hr plus 40 percent of the ammount they win.

Just remember, if they have money that can be gotten by the courts, then sue them.  If they have money that the lawyer cannot take, then ur screwed.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:10:05 PM EDT
If you have to explain a joke, is it still a good joke?
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:06:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/1/2011 5:07:39 PM EDT by Matt_Krush]
this is like green energy....no such thing
They all cost the same no matter what retainer/hour fee is......
.....everything you have then the case gets settled.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:08:24 PM EDT

Well, Aimless charges...

Oh. Wait.

Nevermind.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:09:27 PM EDT

Why didn't the shark eat the drowning lawyer?

Professional courtesy.  
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:11:14 PM EDT

You are killing me!

How long are you going to be here?

Is the veal any good?

Top Top