Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2006 10:12:41 PM EDT
I have a couple of Class 3 panels removed from a entry type vest that was completely sealed and wasnt able to be upgraded in any way. The panels were sewn in at three or four points with a few large thick thread stitches. I removed those and just cut the vest itself open and took the panels out. The vest i designed and am working on is a design modelled off of this:

So far it is coming along just fine with some early bumps where i went overboard like any man and overdesigned to the point of being totally impractical. I found a nice ACU material at the local Walmart believe it or not and it matchs perfectly quality and pattern with the pants i have. I am wondering if anyone else is this obsessed with making stuff themselves opposed to paying a good amount of money for something they think they can pull off????

PS: I am still out of work with back surgery issues so i have alot of time on my hands and am also on pain meds so this is a late night drug induced thread so take it with a grain of salt and do not flame me too bad. Thanks
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:28:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Nothing wrong with making your own gear IMO.  Nobody knows exactly what you want better than you!!  I know a few guys that do it.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:30:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Where is the handle?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:34:41 PM EDT
[#3]
way ahead of you my first design draft had one on there. you never know when the zombies may have knocked me down and my wife who has my back will need to pull me out.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:37:05 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
way ahead of you my first design draft had one on there. you never know when the zombies may have knocked me down and my wife who has my back will need to pull me out.

Don't forget to be shootin' back as you're being pulled out.

On another note, I commend you on your efforts.  Looking forward to the end result.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:45:58 PM EDT
[#5]
If i get a chance tonight i will post a pic of my drawn out design. I made quite a few changes to the general idea. I wouldnt mind some advice or ideas thrown my way before i get too far into the actual sewing.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:53:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:25:38 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Nothing wrong with making your own gear IMO.  Nobody knows exactly what you want better than you!!  I know a few guys that do it.

IIRC, that is how Tactical Tailor started out. He started modifying his stuff while in the service. Others liked what he was doing so he started doing theirs as well. After he got out he went into business doing it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top