Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 5/1/2015 8:10:28 PM EDT
I have an elderly parent that wants to stay in their home but has trouble walking downstairs to do laundry and upstairs to bed. I want to pay to get them installed or buy them and install them myself.

It seems like there isn't much to them - a car battery to run them, nightly chargings, then screwed down right to the step. But I haven't found any solid reviews leaning towards any one brand. What is the approximate cost and what sets one model apart from the other?
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 8:17:26 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 8:20:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/1/2015 8:21:30 PM EDT by FuriousYachtsman]
A good son would be asking about an elevator.

ETA:
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 8:22:30 PM EDT
Check craigslist.

Seriously.

You can find ones that were only used for a few weeks. That's what we did for my brother when he broke his pelvis and back. Then sold it after he was walking and made our money back.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 8:23:58 PM EDT
Also check to see if insurance will cover it/make a recommendation.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 8:28:06 PM EDT
I put an Acorn in for my folks. Fairly easy to install. I think I paid 2500 for it, but i'm not sure. I'd have to dig up the invoice.

It has a battery, but it plugs into 110 and maintains a charge when the lift is all the way up or all the way down.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 8:30:13 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FuriousYachtsman:
A good son would be asking about an elevator.

ETA: http://i.imgur.com/G1N1PnU.jpg
View Quote

Because everyone has closets or dead space perfectly lined up for, and the $30,000 for a retrofit home elevator.

Though I did look at a house for sale that had a 3-story home lift. It was cool. Unfortunately, the smell of death and cats made even my usually iron stomach promote a gag.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 8:34:26 PM EDT
The CL recommendation was spot on. There's a bunch of <$500 junk on there.
Top Top