Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/21/2003 11:54:18 AM EDT
Just an informal survey. I've met some guys whose wives make a more than them. Does that threaten your manliness?

Personal preference: career wife, or domestic wife?
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 11:58:02 AM EDT
[#1]
I would be a manwhore in a second. I would even service her friends if she wanted.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 12:01:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Doesn't matter to me.

My wife HAS made more than me before. So what? We each get the same amount of "play" money, and both of our paychecks pay the bills.

Right now I make more than her, but I figure in a couple of years, she will be making more than me again.

Does that threaten your manliness?
View Quote

The fact that my wife is a successful woman who is able to effectively manage people makes me less of a man?

Nope! Makes me happy I married her!

Av.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 12:03:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I would be a manwhore in a second. I would even service her friends if she wanted.
View Quote

Well then you need to find a smart, but not-too-pretty girl... (j/k) [:)]
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 12:05:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I make more now, but once she graduates she'll be the bread winner and I couldn't be happier or more comfortable.  There's times when I wish I could be a better provider than I am, but that's why I'm going back to school when she's done.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 12:06:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 12:10:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Stay at home wives get VERY bored and blame you for it and demand that you entertain them and eventually make your life a living hell.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 12:11:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 12:12:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I work from home and she is in LE.

I didn't know the po-po could make so much.[LOL]

I worked 14-15 hr days to put her through college and now my investment has paid off.

My duties at home are to get the kids off to school, make them lunch, cook dinner, hang out at gun shops and surf the web and do what I damn well please.

Did return to college and a few credits shy of a degree so I may find a job after that.No hurry here. I am happy being a loser[LOL]

Link Posted: 5/21/2003 12:21:49 PM EDT
[#9]
As I have one lil boy (19 mos) and she is 1 mo along on our next, I would love to be able to have her stay at home with the kids.   I know she would love that too.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 12:22:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Not me. My wife makes a good salary and I wish she made 10 times that much. I can almost taste the new firearms I'd be buying...
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 12:28:49 PM EDT
[#11]
I wouldn't give a crap where the money was coming from just as long as it was coming.  

My wife stays home and takes care of our two kids.  I'm lucky I make enough for her to do that.  However, we're always BROKE!  That complicates the my ability to use my C&R license.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 12:35:09 PM EDT
[#12]
My wife stayed at home until our youngest made it into the 7th grade (cheese and rice! That was 2 years ago).  Now she makes about a 3rd of what I make.

I can't stop thinking about that man-whore thing.

What was the question?
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 12:35:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sure, but what if all her friends were "Army guys"?
[url]www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=187519[/url]
[:D]

But to answer the question, I'd love to be married to a woman who makes a lot of money.

...unless she started holding it over my head, and then I'd tell her [cartman] Hey woman!!!  Get your bitch ass in the kitchen and make me some pie!! [/cartman]
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 12:45:07 PM EDT
[#14]
It is my dream to have a wife that made $1,000,000 a year, came home to give it to me, and proceed to play trachea hockey with my stick.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 12:46:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It is my dream to have a wife that made $1,000,000 a year, came home to give it to me, and proceed to play trachea hockey with my stick.
View Quote

Okay okay this is not a wish list thread here. Let's keep it in reality shall we?
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 12:46:52 PM EDT
[#16]
My wife used to make very good money. She quit to be a stay at home Mom. I wouldn't have it any other way.

It was a difficult adjustment to live without her income.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 1:09:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My wife has worked three days out of the 15 years of marriage outside the house. We've decided to live within my paycheck.
View Quote

We decided this too.
She stays home with our daughter.
The education she will recieve will make her strong if I can't pay for decent private school since public school is the devil...
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 1:35:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 1:41:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Money is material wealth. I think material wealth is somewhat stupid. I mean look at a dollar bill. What is it? a piece of paper. It has social value to it but that's it. It holds no TRUE value. It's just a piece of paper that represents something. Yet people fight and kill for it without realizing that truth wealth and power come from spirit and what one possesses that truly aides him. Not simply shit you find sitting in homes these days. Like the typical John Wayne statue on your friend's table at his house. How does that help him? it doesnt. therefore it has only social value. Value that is limited only to so-called "civilization."

Just my two cents.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 1:43:58 PM EDT
[#20]
She does stay at home... but it would nice if she worked and made more than i do....  Lots of new toys then...
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 1:46:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I would be a manwhore in a second. I would even service her (female)friends if she wanted.
View Quote

ditto that. If she made enough to cover all the expenses, I could go work in a gunshop and get paid in guns.          

My wife works 3 jobs (because she's insane), but I still make more than she does, I wouldnt mind at all if she made more than me though.

how about a poll?

Link Posted: 5/21/2003 1:48:09 PM EDT
[#22]
My gal stayed home til she got bored.  Now she volunteers and delivers Meals on Wheels to all the old people.  I hope she writes me in hell when she gets to heaven.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 1:50:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Ilook at it this way, any man that feels threatened by a woman simply because she makes more money than him never had his manhood to begin with. If you think you constantly have to prove it, you never had.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 1:51:59 PM EDT
[#24]
I make good money, even by local standards, and my wife makes 3 times what I do. I've got no problem with it.

One thing to point out though....men have typically had expensive toys (guns, boats, motorcycles, etc) b/c we made all the damn money and spent it however we pleased.

When it's someone else that's earning the money, you don't get to spend it exactly the way that you might want to.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 1:57:53 PM EDT
[#25]
I have a stay-at-home wife, she raises our 3 children. I make plenty of money, no need for her to work.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 2:04:48 PM EDT
[#26]
[img]http://image1ex.villagephotos.com/2684018.jpg[/img]

How many would like this? Come on...be honest!

Note the date. How times have changed.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 2:07:26 PM EDT
[#27]
My wife works every day--raising our two boys and creating a loving home for all of us.  Most days, I know who has the harder job--and it's not me.

The way I see it, SOMEONE has to raise our kids.  If it's not one of the parents, then it's someone earning $8/hr at the day care center.  Who do you think is going to have more passion about their jobs?

We made a conscious decision to live within my paycheck.  And, it's great to come home after a hard day's work and find someone else there.

Full-clip has it pegged--if you're threatened by a woman who makes more than you do, you've got bigger issues to deal with.  Remember the vows are to "love, honor and cherish, for RICHER and for POORER...."  Who cares who makes the money?
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 2:08:26 PM EDT
[#28]
My wife is just a mom.  She stays home, works her ass off, and doesn't get paid...

It was nice to have a second income for a couple years, but we decided it was more important for her to stay at home when Luke was born.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 2:13:18 PM EDT
[#29]
I am very fortunate that my job can pay for her to stay at home.  There is no one in the world I would rather have raising our 2 children.

She made good money when she worked, and we had to quit blowing it when she quit.  But it was DEFINATELY worth it.

TXL
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 2:15:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Had a wife who made as much as I did, both professionals = a very nice income.
However she got caught up in the whole "I am woman, my desires are all that matter" thing and our marriage went down in flames.
While I shouldn't be so happy about it, her relationship with Mr. Perfect sucks, and I hear from her on a regular basis. He's either too dumb to know that he is about to get a taste of what he caused, or he doesn't give a rat's heinie. I know her well, and he is definitely in for a rough ride.
Lady Rain (my current lady.) works her butt off with several part time gigs, makes squat, no benefits etc. but is able to manipulate her time so that she makes her own $, and is home for the important things, her kids school and doctor needs, taking care of our house and car needs etc.
She asked if she should try to do more, but quite frankly, despite the pressure on our funds, I am happier than ever. She  is likewise happy, but was willing to work more if I wanted it. We have decided to let things ride out and make do. I am a lucky man.
I'll choose a happy home life any day, if it could happen while making tons of $,  great. But this relationship works for both of us, and I am not about to see it screwed up.
 Count me as one who would just a soon not put his women into the pit of big business along with all it's screwed up values, for the sake of a few bucks. Lot's of marriages out our way are done for because the ladies think that they are trading up, when  the truth is that they are only getting the sleaze bag that they cheat with, and by the time they realize that itis a bad trade, everything in their old life is in flames. From where I stand they both deserve what they get, and I laugh my butt off everytime I hear of one not being able to let go of the one that they dropped.
But unfortunately the basic truth is that an innocent party pays a big price for someone else's screw-ups.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 2:21:59 PM EDT
[#31]
clean-cut, There are still women out there that think that way, my wife is one of them as she was raised properly by her mother to be a lady and a good wife.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 2:35:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 2:38:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Hmmmm... very interesting.  But how many of you would be willing to give up YOUR jobs to be a stay-at-home dad?
View Quote

Many. But would you want to subject your children to that? [:)]
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 3:06:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Miss Magnum, I'd be willing to stay home and take care of of someone else's kids if I could do so at my present standard of living.
I have worked at least 28 hours a week since I was 13, the last 25 years never less than 50 hours a week, + my home chores. I'm now 53.
I made it possible for my  ex to get her college degree and even helped her get into the job that she now holds.
I have always been the cook (or as it is lately  at least the assistant), home remodeler, appliance repairman, lawn care, auto care, food shopper, etc.
I can't wait to be home and self pace my life.
For us guy's it still isn't usually a choice.

Oh, I also raised my son pretty much on my own.
He's turned into a fine young man, he works hard, and is a better dad than I was. (Pat on back here, I've done a great job with him.)
All in all, I've paid my due's, and have lived my life as a diligent, attentive  and devoted partner.
This cr*p that is going on today will have it's price to pay. You pretty much can expect to reap what you sow.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 3:30:48 PM EDT
[#35]
My wife, who made about a third of what I do, quit work right at 12 months ago so that she could stay home and take care of the grandkids, and [s]her[/s] our recently divorced daughter and mother of two could go to work and learn how to make a living.

Well, she's doing a helluva job taking care of the kids and the house.

And slowly going nuts.

And our daughter can't get a job that will pay her enough to raise two kids and live anywhere but with us.

I'm thinking we're going to have to take another look at this situation soon.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 3:31:34 PM EDT
[#36]
I made a lot more than my first wife.

My second wife made about 10k more than me when I was working. Of course now she makes about 55k more.  [stick] [kiss]

ED
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 3:35:12 PM EDT
[#37]
I would like if my wife could stay home with the kids but then I wouldn't be able to afford my toys :)
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 4:44:21 PM EDT
[#38]
chances are, my wife(if I ever get married!) will make more than me...I am chef..I get paid JACK.

Some kids at Best buy are making more per hour than I do!

But..I love what I do, and i don't care if the female makes more really. As long as we are happy..what diff does it make?
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 5:49:28 PM EDT
[#39]
My wife has not worked outside the home in the seventeen years we have been married.

She is on permanent disability for a heart condition, and receives about six hundred bucks a month for that. Although she would gladly trade that sum for good health, her contribution has directly provided the roof over our heads, and always will. She also does all the books for my business, without that contribution I would be lost.

That said, I guess I have the best of both worlds. A stay-at-home wife who is always there when needed, and a bread earning help-mate who feels as fullfilled as any human can. She raised our two boys as well as June Cleaver could have. She calls me during the day to see how I am and if she can help. Messages from customers, what time is lunch.

I have been blessed.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 5:49:41 PM EDT
[#40]
I worked in the family business and made twice what my wife made when we got married. Ten years later the family business went bust and we decided to pursue my wifes career which would require us to move. She is a news anchor. Now she makes almost 3 times what I make with the potential to make 10 times what I make. It is fine with me. Since we got married when I get home I give her my paycheck. I take what I need and everything else goes into the pot for the family expenses. Nothing has changed. We are a family with our common goals. Everything I have is hers and vice a versa. There is no his money or hers. I want a gun we talk about it and I buy it. She wants a dress or whatever we talk about it and she buys it. The worst part is realizing that on just my income I cannot support our lifestyle. That part is hard. But We are preaparing for the future and doing the best we can. There are so many outside evil forces aligned against the family the last thing I need is to create our own problems.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 5:59:14 PM EDT
[#41]
My wife makes 2 times more than I do.
I'm okay with it. Last time I checked my BA!!$ are still down there.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 6:28:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Hmmmm... very interesting.  But how many of you would be willing to give up YOUR jobs to be a stay-at-home dad?
View Quote

Marry me and we'll have a couple kids, I'll quit my job and we'll find out.

If it don't work out it'll be the best 20 seconds you've ever had, guaranteed.

No realy.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 7:45:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Stay at home wives get VERY bored and blame you for it and demand that you entertain them and eventually make your life a living hell.
View Quote

Dude,
Did you marry my ex-wife?
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 7:50:59 PM EDT
[#44]
When we were dating, my wife made more than me, and with the potential to make alot more than I ever could.  She's a real rocket scientist - her specialty was microgravity and vibro/acoustic analysis - whatever the hell that is.  Been published a couple dozen times and traveled all over.  After we got married and had our two munchkins, first she consulted out of the house part time and now does not work in her field at all.  She is very involved in all of the kids activities.  Had to cut down on the toys, that's for sure.  I work close to 50 hours a week and make decent money, but we are always in debt.  When she started to complain about how hard it was taking care of the kids, I told her to get back to work and I would quit work in an instant.  I haven't heard that complaint since.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 8:39:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Dude,
Did you marry my ex-wife?
View Quote

No, but been there, done that, got the t-shirt.  Does this sound familiar?:

[stayathomemom]I dont have any friends, I sit at home all day with the kids.  You get to talk to adults at work all day.  I never have any reason to get dressed up.  I dont care if you just got home after a 10hr day, you need to take me out.  You never pay attention to me, you need to spend more time with me.  When are you going to mow the lawn.  You arent going to mow the lawn now are you, because you havent spent any time with me.[/stayathomemom]
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 8:41:22 PM EDT
[#46]

She already is.  

KOTB
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 4:47:51 AM EDT
[#47]

My wife has always worked. I wouldn't marry a woman that didn't. Too much time on their hands to find fault with you or what you're doing (or not doing) ect. We work opposite shifts even [%|] Works for us. YMMV
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 4:57:43 AM EDT
[#48]
My wife is a stay at home mom.  She is the primary teacher of our children because we homeschool.  With that, and everything else she does, she works a lot harder than me.

She stays home and manages our household, I provide for the household.  I wouldn't have it any other way, and I feel that's the way it's supposed to be.  It's unpopular to say that, but oh well.

I love my wife more than my own life, and would sacrifice my life for hers in a heartbeat.  She is atop the highest pedestal.

Scott
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 5:07:25 AM EDT
[#49]
My wife quit her job to stay at home when our son was born.

She was making more than me. Our income was decreased by 60+% when she quit.

Does it bother me? No. I feel her time is more valuable at home with my son, than working and having him in daycare.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 5:41:39 AM EDT
[#50]
In a second.

Sure the first couple years would be rough, actually having the kids around all the time but then when they are off at school during the day, free-time!

Sure there are all kinds of responsibilities associated but do you know how empty the ranges are during the day. [:)]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top