Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2006 4:23:49 PM EDT
So sometimes I listen to AM radio.  I guess my patience for obnoxious advertising was never very high to begin with and it dropped off with not watching TV in years.

But these commercials are unbelievable.  I think they spend as much or more time repeating the phone number over and over as they do talking about the product or service.

Does anyone else hate this?

Maybe I'm spoiled because of the internet and being able to use flash and pics control to stop all the flashing bullshit that is supposed to make me buy car insurance somewhere other than my current provider etc.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 6:28:53 PM EDT
[#1]
why does it talke so long to leave a message on someones cellphone

its like 30 secs before the beeeep    
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 6:36:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Most research has indicated that you need to repeat it at least three times for most people to have a shot at remembering it.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 6:38:37 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Most research has indicated that you need to repeat it at least three times for most people to have a shot at remembering it.

Other research has shown that you need to see a commercial 9 times before you'll buy the product.  And that, my friends, is why TV is so harsh.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 6:43:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 7:19:18 PM EDT
[#5]
A lot of the commercials on AM radio are aimed at an older segment of the market.  They repeat the phone number multiple times so that geezers can find their pencil, find their piece of paper and then write down the number.  Just in case they're hard of hearing, the number is repeated several more times so that they can hear it again as they write down the info.  

Also, a lot of the commercials on AM radio are low budget productions.  If you don't have fancy jingles or gibberish to fill up the 30 seconds, stick the phone number in there several times to fill the gaps.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 7:26:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
A lot of the commercials on AM radio are aimed at an older segment of the market.  They repeat the phone number multiple times so that geezers can find their pencil, find their piece of paper and then write down the number.  Just in case they're hard of hearing, the number is repeated several more times so that they can hear it again as they write down the info.  
Also, a lot of the commercials on AM radio are low budget productions.  If you don't have fancy jingles or gibberish to fill up the 30 seconds, stick the phone number in there several times to fill the gaps.  

Who then proceed to either
a) lose the paper
b) Forget what the number on the paper was for
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 7:27:51 PM EDT
[#7]
i can't stand radio commercials...  that's why i don't listen to the radio.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 7:28:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Apply Directly to the Forehead.

Link Posted: 12/29/2006 7:47:12 PM EDT
[#9]
   They repeat the number so if any Manchurian candidates overhear
the number they go into execution mode.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 7:51:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Who has actually bought something off the TV? Was it exactly what they showed, and did it work like on the commercial?
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 8:50:25 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Who has actually bought something off the TV? Was it exactly what they showed, and did it work like on the commercial?
my mother bought one of those super knives...  it worked pretty good.

there was a store in san antonio...  in the river center mall, i think.  it only sold the stuff you saw on infomercials.  i browsed through there one day, but i didn't buy anything.  it all looked like junk.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 9:54:07 AM EDT
[#12]
According to guerilla marketing, the average person has to hear or see something 16 times to remember it

Personally, I bet that's low.
TV sucks, so does commerical radio.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 9:59:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Have Sirius in the vehicle.  No ads on the music channels and I surf or go to CD/MP3 when when the talk stations go to commercial.

Haven't listened to terrestrial radio (except for talk shows) in ages and ages.

One word for TV viewing:  "Tivo"

Can't think of a thing that I've been convinced to buy just because I saw an ad for it.

In other words, I'm a total zero when it comes to ROI for advertisers.

Link Posted: 12/30/2006 10:44:29 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
My g/f got me the last season of Smallville on DVD (for whatever reason I like that show). The hour episodes are something like 42 minutes long. I remember when there were commercials every fifteen minutes, top of the hour, quarter after, 30 minutes and 45 minutes. Now they are like every ten minutes

It's closer to every 7-8 mins
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 10:46:02 AM EDT
[#15]
I never repeat my phone number.

It's just right there.
|
|
|
|
V
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 10:54:22 AM EDT
[#16]
"How many times do they need to repeat the GD phone number?"

GD= General Discussion  
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 10:55:51 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
"How many times do they need to repeat the GD phone number?"

GD= General Discussion  

Well, yeah it means that but I was thinking "God Damned" .
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 9:58:44 AM EDT
[#18]
I always hate it when I actually want to call, but they DON'T repeat the number.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 10:00:45 AM EDT
[#19]
They repeat it because it works.

I left college (and Texas) 19 years ago and can STILL remember the phone number of Courtesy Pontiac-Nissan in Tyler, Texas. 1-800-426-CARS. That's 1-800-426-CARS.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 10:14:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Repeating crap in commercials is a sure way to get you to remember it better.

Anyone who's lived in the Atlanta area should remember this one:

That's 4801
That's 4801
Buford Hiiiiiiighway!

I don't even remember WTF was even there, but I sure as shit remember the address!
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 10:22:13 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I bought those Hercules Hooks that they adverise, the damn things work just like they say-no more looking for a stud, you just ram 'em in!
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 10:26:41 AM EDT
[#22]
I hear that in the background all day while the women here watch thier trash TV
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top