Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/7/2005 9:14:47 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:10:08 PM EDT

Originally Posted By sherrick13:

In reality just 2 cits and 2 warnings for me tonight.

Two whats and two warnings?

I'd swear I saw an "L" in there.

Jim
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:19:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/7/2005 11:30:11 PM EDT by Triumph955i]
Question for LEO's.

I work midnights and often local, state,county police come in on thier breaks.

it breaks down to 50:50....

When i ask how their night is treating them, 50% will talk about thier night and the calls that they take, we both comment and joke and 50% don't even bother to talk about anything but small talk.

Do police officers go through a class in thier initial training that teaches them not to talk to civilians?

just wondering.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:27:41 PM EDT
I think cits means citations.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:44:08 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Triumph955i:

Do police officers go through a class in thier initial training that teaches them not to talk to civilians?

just wondering.

Naw, probably just used to having everyone treat them like assholes. I'm sure there are cool aspects of of being a cop, but it sounds like the worst job in the world.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:46:38 AM EDT
Slow Wednesday night for me. 1 warrant arrest. One Suspended license citation. One impounded vehicle and one no insurance ticket. Cuaght up o some paperwork left over from last week though.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:50:01 AM EDT
I tried to not write any cits tonight. diddnt feel good, and I'm not a cop...
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:10:17 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:35:17 AM EDT

Originally Posted By TheOtherDave:

just wondering.

Naw, probably just used to having everyone treat them like assholes. I'm sure there are cool aspects of of being a cop, but it sounds like the worst job in the world.

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=386802

Because of stuff like that.......................... If a cop kids around.......................... abuse, abuse.............

Next as has been proven again and again, people really don't want to hear what police officers see and do. If they get face to face with an officer who says something tragic, gory, etc. happened, they immediately try to minimize it..................... The sheep like being in the middle of the herd, and really don't want to hear what is out in the woods.

Also when I stop for a cola, etc. I have had to deal with all kinds of people with all kinds of problems, accident victims, medical issues, mental health issues, and even a few criminals. I would like a few minutes to quietly reflect.............................
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:22:36 AM EDT
+1
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:54:38 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 9:26:04 AM EDT
Wrote one warning and 4 citations. Let one guy go that had a traffic warrant. My ticket total for the month is usually about 20 tickets or so a month.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 9:29:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/8/2005 9:30:01 AM EDT by mjohn3006]
I wrote seven tickets yesterday. Today I am working on closing a bunch of them. We have about 400 tickets in the "Resolved" state that the software developers just kinda lost and never gave to the QE department to test.

Oh, your talking about cars
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 9:33:42 AM EDT
This is actually pretty interesting.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 9:33:45 AM EDT
I do not write many tickets but I did arrest a POS for Rape 1 yesterday!
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 9:34:50 AM EDT
I did not write any tickets tonight.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 9:43:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/8/2005 10:23:03 AM EDT by pale_pony]
I haven't even seen my citation book in years!

Better yet, retirement is treating me well and Ive got more clients as a PI than I thought I would have so soon after "going to pasture". I'm working harder now than when my commission was active!

We arrested a real sack of shi'ite on Tuesday in Tulsa. (OK, OK, one of my former partners made the actual arrest. I just built the case and found the bastard for them.) The perp had 7 other felony warrants in Hughes, Lincoln, Oklahoma, Tulsa, Rogers, Caddo & Okmulgee counties. All for home repair fraud. Cork-sucker was a predator who victimized elderly folks by offering cut-rate home repairs and then disappearing with their down payments. It made me feel good knowing that he won't be out for a while to prey on other old folks.

Edited to add: I never made $70 an hour as a cop either!
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 9:56:24 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 9:59:07 AM EDT
No tickets, but come really close to popping a thugs pit bull.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:01:29 AM EDT

Originally Posted By P806:

Oh, now you've done it!
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:03:58 AM EDT

Originally Posted By -brass-:
<SuperTroopers>I don't have the figures right here with me.....</SuperTroopers>

hehehe

"I can't make them speed."
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:12:36 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SubnetMask:

Originally Posted By P806:

Oh, now you've done it!

w00t!
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:18:09 AM EDT

Originally Posted By FiveO:
I do not write many tickets but I did arrest a POS for Rape 1 yesterday!

Awesome, good on ya.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:24:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/8/2005 10:31:30 AM EDT by widmn]
I for one would like to see cops write less tickets (Another form of Gubmint taxation) and make more progress arresting real criminals like dope dealer, thiefs, molesters, etc that are taking over decent living areas. Can't even let my 5 year old play in the front yard anymore. Was a time when we kids used to go out all day and come home for dinner after wandering around town or woods all day.

You may not like hearing this and this may not be the forum to state that wish, but you guys seem so proud of your ticket writing scams (number of tickets, close 400 tonight, etc.), I couldn't help myself. You should really be ashamed of yourselfs. This job makes you feel good?
And please don't tell me how many lives you've saved from the terrible speeders. I see tickets being written for ridiculous speeds and zones like doing 35 in a 25 that should be 45., or 80 in a 70 zone on the freeway with no traffic and an open clear highway, etc.
Also, please don't tell me you're helpless to change the department policies. If enough of you objected to this petty thievery, the cities and counties would put a stop to it.

By the way, did you know that the ATF returns $35 for every dollar they spend? Ain't that special. Another gubmint function that makes money off petty enforcement busting innocent old men for dealing in firearms. Popping people for preban on a postban gun. on and on. Makes you proud huh?
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:37:47 AM EDT
None. It was my "short" shift and I only got in two traffic stops (both warnings) before the Disturbance calls started to kick in and I was too busy to stop anyone.

I think my ratio of Tickets to Warnings is about 1:10. You have to have No Insurance, be going a bout 20 over, have tags gone by more than 6 months, or almost hit my car to get tickets from me.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:47:28 AM EDT

Originally Posted By widmn:
I for one would like to see cops write less tickets (Another form of Gubmint taxation) and make more progress arresting real criminals like dope dealer, thiefs, molesters, etc that are taking over decent living areas. Can't even let my 5 year old play in the front yard anymore. Was a time when we kids used to go out all day and come home for dinner after wandering around town or woods all day.

Well, if you read the responses of these fine gentlemen, you'll note that none of them were ticket writing machines today. Hell, jadams951 wrote the most with a lousy 4.

So far, the tally is:

Citations: 8

Everything else
Warnings: 5
Domestics: 1
Auto Ped: 1
Larceny: 1
Warrant Arrest: 1
Impounded Vehicle: 1
Rape Arrest: 1

Total: 11
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:48:14 AM EDT
Could it be that the real reason you object to the ticket writing is that you like to exceed the speed limit?

I am not really all that big on traffic enforcement and I give out way more warnings than tickets, but I get pissed off at someone doing 35 in a 25 zone more than I do at someone doing 65 in a 45 zone.
Usually a 25 mph zone is designated as such because of it's proximity to regular pedestrian traffic (i.e. neighborhoods) which is not the case for 45 and up zones.

10 mph might not seem like all that much, but it could easily mean the difference between running over a little kid chasing a ball into the street or stopping in time.

Once you have dealt with a few kids who have been run over while on their way to the icecream truck or chasing after something into the street it's hard to not care about the neighborhood speeders.

If you decide to speed and get caught, suck it up and pay your fine. You probably get away with speeding more than the times you get caught.

I for one would like to see cops write less tickets (Another form of Gubmint taxation) and make more progress arresting real criminals like dope dealer, thiefs , etc that are taking over decent living areas.

You may not like hearing this and this may not be the forum to state that wish, but you guys seem so proud of your ticket writing scams (number of tickets, close 400 tonight, etc.), I couldn't help myself. You should really be ashamed of yourselfs. And please don't tell me how many lives you've saved from the terrible speeders. I see tickets being written for ridiculous speeds and zones like doing 35 in a 25 that should be 45.,etc. Also, please don't tell me you're helpless to change the department policies. If enough of you objected to this petty thievery, the cities and counties would put a stop to it. By the way, did you know that the ATF returns $35 for every dollar they spend? Ain't that special. Another gubmint function that makes money off petty enforcement busting old men for dealing in firarms. Popping people for preban vs. postban. on and on. Makes you proud huh?

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:52:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/8/2005 10:52:50 AM EDT by Dusty_C]

You may not like hearing this and this may not be the forum to state that wish, but you guys seem so proud of your ticket writing scams (number of tickets, close 400 tonight, etc.), I couldn't help myself. You should really be ashamed of yourselfs. This job makes you feel good?
And please don't tell me how many lives you've saved from the terrible speeders. I see tickets being written for ridiculous speeds and zones like doing 35 in a 25 that should be 45., or 80 in a 70 zone on the freeway with no traffic and an open clear highway, etc.
Also, please don't tell me you're helpless to change the department policies. If enough of you objected to this petty thievery, the cities and counties would put a stop to it.

By the way, did you know that the ATF returns $35 for every dollar they spend? Ain't that special. Another gubmint function that makes money off petty enforcement busting innocent old men for dealing in firearms. Popping people for preban on a postban gun. on and on. Makes you proud huh?

Has anyone ever told you that your more full of shit than a septic tank? If not, I think you just have to much in your ears to hear them. I'm not a cop and I personnally think that cops should write more. You obviously don't know Jack about what cops do. YOU arrest some guy 4 or 5 times for selling drugs and keep watching a lawyer get him off or a liberal judge send him walking for no good reason and you'd quit trying too. Cops can only do so much and people like you bitch about them. Your no better than the people that complain about cops driving to fast and then complaining that they take to long when YOU call them. If you had nothing to bitch about then you might actually wake up and start to use your brain a little bit. But I doubt it. You must be a troll from the DU I honestly can't see how you've gotten this many posts here with a liberal attitude like that. In your post your flat out MAKING SHIT UP. You MUST be in politics.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 11:00:54 AM EDT
No, but you missed my point. Again, he/she spent valuable resources catching speeders. Even if it was only to write warnings.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 11:05:35 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Dusty_C:

Has anyone ever told you that your more full of shit than a septic tank? If not, I think you just have to much in your ears to hear them. I'm not a cop and I personnally think that cops should write more. You obviously don't know Jack about what cops do. YOU arrest some guy 4 or 5 times for selling drugs and keep watching a lawyer get him off or a liberal judge send him walking for no good reason and you'd quit trying too. Cops can only do so much and people like you bitch about them. Your no better than the people that complain about cops driving to fast and then complaining that they take to long when YOU call them. If you had nothing to bitch about then you might actually wake up and start to use your brain a little bit. But I doubt it. You must be a troll from the DU I honestly can't see how you've gotten this many posts here with a liberal attitude like that. In your post your flat out MAKING SHIT UP. You MUST be in politics.

Its liberal to ask cops to spend there valuable time catching real criminals??? Its liberal to ask for a stop to this petty gubmint taxation? What are the cops doing about the repeat offenders being let off other than bitching about it and being victims themselves? I knew I'd be flamed here, but called a lib?? You're the idiot if you can't come up with a better arguement than that one pal.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 11:10:46 AM EDT
I'm calling you a liberal for twisting words in your post. No one ever said shit about writing 400 tickets in a night. Except you. That's what we've all come to expect from all the wonderful democrats in our country. You say one thing, they twist it into another. Just like you did. Don't call me an idiot because you have to make up things to get your point across.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 11:17:12 AM EDT

I'm calling you a liberal for twisting words in your post. No one ever said shit about writing 400 tickets in a night. Except you. That's what we've all come to expect from all the wonderful democrats in our country. You say one thing, they twist it into another. Just like you did. Don't call me an idiot because you have to make up things to get your point across.

Canyou read sir??
I said close 400 not write 400.

I quote...I wrote seven tickets yesterday. Today I am working on closing a bunch of them. We have about 400 tickets in the "Resolved" state that the software developers just kinda lost and never gave to the QE department to test.

At any rate, more buracratic paperwork related to ticket writing. Can you understand that Gubmint waste? or do you like big Gubmint?

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 11:20:32 AM EDT

Canyou read sir??

I quote...I wrote seven tickets yesterday. Today I am working on closing a bunch of them. We have about 400 tickets in the "Resolved" state that the software developers just kinda lost and never gave to the QE department to test.

At any rate, more buracratic paperwork related to ticket writing. Can you understand that Gubmint waste? or do you like big Gubmint?

Bwaaaa ha ha ha. You need to quit while you're ahead!

Go back and read what mjohn3006 write one more time.

I'm dying over here...

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 12:22:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/8/2005 12:32:37 PM EDT by mjohn3006]

Originally Posted By SubnetMask:

Canyou read sir??

Bwaaaa ha ha ha. You need to quit while you're ahead!

Go back and read what mjohn3006 write one more time.

I'm dying over here...

Me too, this is funny as hell. Um...tickets as in SOFTWARE BUGS! My company calls them tickets. A lot of software companies call them tickets. It was a joke. I guess those of us with reading comprehension got it

read the part about " "Resolved" state that the software developers" just one more time.

BTW QE is Quality Engineering.

And when someone says somthing like "Oh, your talking about cars " at the end of a post. Its probably a joke.

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:18:31 PM EDT
I have to bump the fun. Sorry widmn.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:31:32 PM EDT

Question for LEO's.

I work midnights and often local, state,county police come in on thier breaks.

it breaks down to 50:50....

When i ask how their night is treating them, 50% will talk about thier night and the calls that they take, we both comment and joke and 50% don't even bother to talk about anything but small talk.

just wondering.

Riiiighhhht...

If we're "trained not to talk to people", it'd kinda be defeating the purpuse now wouldn't it???

Anyway, I used to not mind at all chit chattin. Now I'm not so sure. Seriously, people can be just fucking rude & retarded. Here's some examples of why I get pissed, and yes situations like I'll describe happens at least 2 - 5 times a day.

- In the middle of a traffic stop, I'll have Joe Jackass with multiple warrants most of which are drug & assault related. I'm trying to concentrate on him & his buddies when some dumb shit sneaks up to my window and asks for directions. Absolutely no thought given to the fact that doing that is a total comprimise to my safety & theirs. You tell them to leave or wait and they call the chief and complain about how "rude" you were to them.

Seriously, sometimes if you do a stop in front of a house its likely the home owner will come out the darkness, scare the shit out of you by sticking his face in the window because he wants to complain to you about his neighbor's dog that shits on his grass.

- I've literally been in somebody's home on a medical call, the home owner was having a heart attack. Firemen & medics all over the place working,.....AND WHO WALKS IN!?!?! some unknown inconsiderate ass wad who just INCISTED I drop what I was doing because a shopping cart hit his precious car.

- I'll do a U turn in a parking lot to go on another call in the other direction, I obviously abruptly slowed, and quick-turned because I have someing going on. Well they come out of the woodwork, they'll get right in front of your car & wave you down. Not for a person dying or a robbery in progress; Because their boyfriend won't return a few CDs of hers after they broke up.

- OR you'll finally get your lunch brake. I'm on constant call, so my brake may be just one or two bites then I gotta go. So needless to say my time is precious. I'll hide way in back at a diner & eat. Sure enough, he they come. They'll ask you a law related question about something that happened to them or a friend. Fair enough! I'll gladly answer/explain it. BUT NOOOOOO they're STILL convinced they are correct and I'm wrong and will stand over you while you're trying to eat & debate. Then you're stuck.

So in summing up everything, don't get all cranky because we don't leap at the opportunity of have chit chat. I know I don't anymore.

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:34:44 PM EDT

No, but you missed my point. Again, he/she spent valuable resources catching speeders. Even if it was only to write warnings.

I don't really agree with speed limits in general but you don't really make much of a point here. "Wasted valueble resources" What does that mean, should they be busting in to people's houses looking for child molesters? Asking everyone, "Seen any drug dealers recently?" The reality is that other than patrol, if crimes aren't reported there is little cops can really do to about them. IMHO you are expecting way too much.

Furthermore, all this whining about "its not safe like it used to be, I can't let my kid outside anymore" Is pretty much BS. I don't know about your particular neighborhood but crime rates right now aren't really much higher than they were 40 years ago. I highly doubt your kid is any more likely to be kidnapped now than when you were a kid. Its simply the media distorting the facts to sell papers and increase ratings.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:39:27 PM EDT

I for one would like to see cops write less tickets (Another form of Gubmint taxation) and make more progress arresting real criminals like dope dealer...

Uh oh.

What kills more innocent people, traffic collisions or drug dealers?

I do both. my 9-5 job is meth labs/dealers and bank robers. But I work overtime in a traffic car a couple times a month. In my state a repeate DUI offender gets more jail time than a first time drug dealer. Hell I have used Domestic violence and DUI laws to lock up drug dealers for much longer than the drug charges would have.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:41:03 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:46:57 PM EDT
not much of a night for me last night. I worked thedesk (oh joy) but still managed to get out for awhile. wrote 3 citations (1 for OVI) and had an intox arrest. nothing special.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:47:05 PM EDT

Its liberal to ask cops to spend there valuable time catching real criminals???

Nope, but everyone will have a different opinion of real criminals. When I was less experianced I used to love arresting tweekers. Some would say tweekers are not real criminals, even though most resort to some sort of theft/fraud to fund their habit.

My current assignment is bank robbers and methcooks/delears. Truth told, bank robbers rarely shoot anybody. stuff like North Hollywod is extremely rare, most dont even carry a weapon.

Now, with 13 yeasrs of doing this I'm really starting the think the most dangerous criminal out there is the guy in a SUV leaving the bar after 7 or 8 drinks. Becuase looking back over my career i have seen 100 times more people sent to the hospital or morgue over than shit than drugs, theft, or robbery. So I cut the traffic geeks alot more slack now. I still think they wear silly uniformsd, but they are saving lives.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:02:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/8/2005 2:02:39 PM EDT by TheKill]
I have to call BS on the speeding thing. Most cops are pretty good at applying the common sense test when it comes to speed. My only speeding ticket may or may not have been an exception. I was late for work one morning and got popped for 74 in a 55 on a county highway, in a totally rural, non-populated area. The road goes straight and pretty level for about 5 miles too. And it was 4am. I made zero effort to stop untl he caught all the way up to me, which pissed him off. He made a point of telling me immediately that "you WILL be getting a ticket". If I had stopped right away, he may have just checked to see if I was drinking and warned me. But who knows. Maybe I just interrupted his nap. There was NOTHING out there.

But speed does matter in a lot of circumstances. I live on a residential street that is 25mph. There are lots of families and stuff. The punks always zip through here at 35 or so. Once in a while a bike will whiz through at 40-60.

Coming home from work one afternoon, I was jammin to the radio and just moseying along at about 18-20. As I passed my neighbors house, her 7 month old lab puppy bolted out the side door and ran full tilt in between parked cars and into the street. The dog ran into my front wheel as I passed, rolled under the car, got bounced between the bottom of the car and the street a few times, rolled out the back, got up and kept running and squealing across the street. The neighbor came running after the dog and just panicked. I pulled over and got out.

The dog was FINE. Had I been doing 30-35 like everyone else, the dog would have been dead or hurt badly at the least. If I had been going faster and it had been a child....see where I am going?

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:09:40 PM EDT
I noticed that no cops from Champlin, MN have chimed in. They regularly (and I mean *I* see it once/week, probably happens more often than that) have a ticket writing fest on a stretch of 30. By ticket writing fest I mean one guy clocking and 6 cruisers writing tickets. From following people that have gotten stopped and talking to my neighbors anything over 38 gets you a ticket (no warnings there). After driving through that stretch a couple times in a short time window, I figure each cruiser writes a ticket every 10 minutes. That's 36 tickets an hour.

Do I think that there is shit they should be doing? Hell yes, and I've never gotten a ticket there (I know that they regularly speed trap there so I'm overcautious driving through there). I think DUI enforcement is useful. I think traffic monitoring for reckless driving, etc etc etc is useful. But that doesn't generate as much revenue as this (probably about $4K/hour). When cops become a revenue generating machine, there is something wrong. If there are that many cops available for this type of duty, there are probably too many cops employed by the city. If I was a resident of that city, I would be pissed at the wasting of money, and would bitch to my city counsel.

There is "real" police work to be done, but that's more difficult and not nearly as lucritive.

/me dons asbestos undies for certain lambasting.

BTW, you guys that are cops that do real police work have my thanks and sympathy. It's a shitty job for not enough money.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:14:52 PM EDT

Originally Posted By sherrick13:
Just ammo for the resident cop dislikers.

In reality just 2 cits and 2 warnings for me tonight.

I also had a domestic, auto ped, and a larcey so I had my share of paper tonight and not much time for traffic.

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:16:46 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:27:11 PM EDT

Thats from all the tax stamps they sell and taxes they collect. The NFA branch makes significantly less than the alcohol (and tobacco?) branch, look in every bar you go in, I bet they're a Special Occupational Tax payer and have the certificate on the wall somewhere.

They're one of the few branches of the government that turns a profit.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:35:59 PM EDT
I'm honestly kind of amzed at alltrying to justify speeding. You say big deal that you were doing about 20 over at 4 am? Your telling me there is no chance of someone backing out of a driveway, by your logic, hell it's 4 am so it's ok not to look. I'm guilty as hell of speeding on the interstate. But even 2 lane highway's present all sorts of little nasty things that can ruin your day should you run up on them to quick. I still usually speed on them. But if I get busted. It'll be "yes sir I know I was speeding, my mistake" I won't even say "won't happen again". Why lie. But I'll take my ticket if I get one and chalk one up for the good guys, after all, the law is the law, right or wrong.
Top Top