Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2005 4:00:36 PM EDT
Ok, dumb question..

But never painted anything larger than a small dorm room.  I want to paint a couple of rooms in my new townhome but have no clue how many gallons of paint to buy.  And once they mix them you can't return the paint...

So is there some rule or is it  just a SWAG (Scientific Wild Ass Guess)

EPOCH
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:03:15 PM EDT
[#1]
It'll say on the can.  Buy an extra gallon or at least an extra quart.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:03:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Do not trust what HD or Lowes tells you, you will always come up short. Use a good tint based primer as well. Will make life way more easy. The SWAG is based on new walls? Old Walls? Sheen? etc...

Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:17:11 PM EDT
[#3]
And get a few empty cans w/lids and mix all the paint (of the same color) you buy together so it has the same tint.

(you would be surprised how different the actual tint can be from identical cans of paint)
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:20:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I recollect about 400 sq. ft. per gallon.  But thats a SWAG you can use until a better answer comes along.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:31:11 PM EDT
[#5]
400 always worked for me when I used to be a painter.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:35:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:49:51 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
400 always worked for me when I used to be a painter.

+1  altho the can usually says 450, they don't.  

1 coat paints aren't.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top