Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 9/18/2009 6:02:14 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/18/2009 6:10:33 PM EST by SkagSig40]
Say SHTF is over and you survived the collapse of the world. You now have to hunt and grow your own food. How many rounds of ammo would you need to last you the rest of you life to help you survive and hunt for food? For myself I think I have around 50 to 60 more years left if I stay healthy so I'm thinking 2 rounds a day to hunt with. That would mean I need about 35,000 to 45,000 rounds to last me the rest of my life. How much ammo would you need?

edit to add:

I thinking you would not be able to practice like you normally would. I use to shoot about 1,000 rounds a week. Now I'm down to a few hundred. SHTF comes, practicing on that lever is gone forever. I'm saving all I have for killing food/hunting and security.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:03:52 PM EST
5 million

At a minimum

Not kidding
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:04:36 PM EST

Originally Posted By 87GN:
5 million

At a minimum

Not kidding

Over various calibers...sounds about right.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:05:20 PM EST
million of each cal

at least
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:06:18 PM EST
87 million +1
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:06:23 PM EST
To the victor go the spoils.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:06:59 PM EST
If you pointed it the wrong way, just one.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:07:02 PM EST
Well, millions.

I don't shoot very often simply because I don't want to run out of ammo.

But if money and availability were no object, I could easily see myself shooting a couple thousand rounds of various calibers every week.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:07:04 PM EST
20 million, Im only 35 and I like to shoot. I'll use my bow for hunting.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:08:34 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:08:54 PM EST
I voted for the highest number, but should have read the OP first.

Are you talking I'm only using rounds for survival/food? Or practice and fun as well?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:09:04 PM EST
When Obama got elected, a buddy of mine did some calculations like that. We were at a bar and the subject came up: what if the supply of ammo was cut off. We were still allowed to own guns, but we couldn't get ammo. Either it was illegal to buy ammo, it was priced or taxed to the point you couldn't afford it or whatever.

Let me tell you, if you start doing the math, you come up with some pretty dramatic numbers.
Let's say you think you are going to be physically able to shoot for another 30 years (that would make me almost 80). And let's say that you averaged only 100 rounds per month. That's 36,000 rounds of ammo that you would need to keep up that pace.
However, I shoot a hell of a lot more than that now. I probably shot 150 rounds today, a couple hundred day before yesterday, and about 400 rounds two days before that.
When you see these bullshit "news" stories about an arsenal being seized, you come to realize that the amounts of ammo they are talking about are nothing. Having 100,000 rounds of ammo isn't all that much ammo if you are an avid shooter.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:09:53 PM EST
Originally Posted By SkagSig40:
Say SHTF is over and you survived the colaps of the world. You now have to hunt and grow your own food. How many rounds of ammo would you need to last you the rest of you life to help you survive and hunt for food? For myself I think I have around 50 to 60 more years left if I stay healthy so I'm thinking 2 rounds a day to hunt with. That would mean I need about 35,000 to 45,000 rounds to last me the rest of my life. How much ammo would you need?

2.5 million (seriously)
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:09:55 PM EST
I guess I would settle for my own factory......

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:10:25 PM EST
Originally Posted By Aimless:
A tragazillion

quadruple this...
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:12:07 PM EST
Why do these polls always suck?

I have yet to see one that the "high" number should not have been the low or next to lowest number.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:14:01 PM EST
Originally Posted By 87GN:
5 million

At a minimum

Not kidding

Exactly, where do you think this poll would go.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:14:34 PM EST
Obviously the more the better. For most millions of rounds are not realistic...not even close. I'm talking the bear minimum to get you by.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:17:19 PM EST

Obviously the more the better. For most millions of rounds are not realistic...not even close. I'm talking the bear minimum to get you by.

Ok, TWEOTWAKI is realistic, but not shit tons of ammo?

Would not ammo needs increase exponentially in a TWEOTWAKI scenario?

Would not there be a desire to leave ammo to your progeny?

The answer is that there is no such thing as enough.

Food, shelter, all manner of things may be come by, but ammo does not grow on trees.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:19:19 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/18/2009 6:21:32 PM EST by Walkure]

And we're serious.

At absolute bare minimum, I will shoot AT LEAST 10k a year.

Say I live to 80, but shoot a little less in later years. Being in my mid-twenties, that would put continued lifetime use at half a million rounds or so. Bare minimum.

ETA - I guess I should have read the OP instead of just the poll title (), which is misleading (how-much-you-need-to-survive-post-TEOTWAWKI is different than saying "how much will you shoot for the rest of your life")
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:19:47 PM EST
If you're asking a hypothetical, then billions. With a B. My shooting would expand to consume the ammunition available.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:24:30 PM EST

The indians did it with zero.

Trapping and snares would be a more effective method of food collection.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:27:01 PM EST
eleventy billion
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:28:25 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/18/2009 6:29:25 PM EST by LouisianaCarry]

Originally Posted By Johnny_Reno:

The indians did it with zero.

Trapping and snares would be a more effective method of food collection.

Did not they switch to ammo when it became available? Hmm...

ETA: not discounting trapping and snares, I mean as opposed to arrows and such.

Use every tool at your disposal and do without what you cannot get, I say.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:31:07 PM EST
In SHTF hunting with firearms could be counterproductive. It takes time.....time away from your compound which leaves it exposed to others.
The noise from hunting draws the attention of others. Trapping, snaring etc. and the use of fish gates and dams in appropriate areas gives a
higher return on effort with less risk of drawing attention. Someone would have to see your trap etc to know you were around, fire a rifle
at a deer and anyone within several miles knows your out there.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:31:14 PM EST
I figure that realisitically I would like to have 50-60k .22LR on hand

Then you have the centerfire
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:44:15 PM EST
I actually thought about this and considered a flintlock and a bullet mold as possibly a good long term survival hunting (not defense) gun.

All you need is lead and powder. No primers, no percussion caps, no brass, no reloading press, etc.

You can make shot by dripping molten lead into water for birds.

If you're lucky enough to live near sulfur deposits, you can even make your own black powder. Potassium nitrate can be made by composting. Charcoal is easily made as well.

While modern bows are probably more accurate, arrows take up a lot of space, and bows are not as long-lived as firearms.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:45:39 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:45:05 PM EST
Originally Posted By Walkure:

And we're serious.

At absolute bare minimum, I will shoot AT LEAST 10k a year.

Say I live to 80, but shoot a little less in later years. Being in my mid-twenties, that would put continued lifetime use at half a million rounds or so. Bare minimum.

ETA - I guess I should have read the OP instead of just the poll title (), which is misleading (how-much-you-need-to-survive-post-TEOTWAWKI is different than saying "how much will you shoot for the rest of your life")

Yeah I'm talking about how many rounds would get you by. Unless you have 500,000+ rounds stored right now you are not going to be able to buy that many or find that many in post SHTF. With no ammo being produced you are not going to be shooting hundreds of rounds a day or week. You would conserve what you have and shoot only what is needed. Days of practicing with 500 rounds per range trip are over....unless you were rich and stored 500,000-1,000,000 rounds.
Top Top