Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/30/2011 5:59:13 PM EDT
Let's say you're eating lunch or dinner, at a decent restaurant, and drinking tea, water, or a soft drink.

The waitress is keeping your glass full.

How many GLASSES do you drink during a normal, meal?

I ask because I had a really great waitress last night at the new Japanese place down the road, and I think I had 5 or 6 glasses of tea.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:02:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I get at least 12-14 "refills" everyday from 4-6PM.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:03:21 PM EDT
[#2]
If there are appetizers or salads before entrees I'll end up drinking three glasses....
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:04:50 PM EDT
[#3]
depends on the price of the meal

$$$+free refills= will drink $$$ of refills
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:04:55 PM EDT
[#4]
4-5
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:05:13 PM EDT
[#5]
less than 1

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:07:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I normally just tell the waitress to bring me a pitcher so it'll be easier on her and I don't have to wait for refills of water therefore making me a happier customer.

If they can't/don't have pitchers I ask them to bring me two glasses so when one is empty, I still have more water to drink while I'm waiting for a refill.
I always drink a lot during dinner, I think its something I got from my dad––Same thing goes for eating fast
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:07:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I usually just ask for a pitcher...most waitresses are like...uh..sure.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:07:57 PM EDT
[#8]
The glasses look large, probably about 12 -14 ounces. They are filled to the top with ice befeore the beverage goes in. You're probably getting about 8 ounces of liquid per glass. I'll usually have water or iced tea. 2 glasses.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:10:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I usually drink 4-6 glasses of water when I'm out.  I've had waitresses just leave the pitcher at the table for me.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:11:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Keep it fucking filled until I leave the goddamn table and you'll get a very good tip.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:20:01 PM EDT
[#11]
3-5
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:24:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Average two.  I don't drink a whole lot.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:27:54 PM EDT
[#13]
I'll drink from 4-6 glasses of iced tea. I explain at the beginning that I drink a lot of iced tea. If they keep'em filled, I reward accordingly.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:29:47 PM EDT
[#14]
I only drink ice tea with dinner and its usually 2 or 3 refills.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:34:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Unsweetened tea or water, usually 2-3 glasses. Depends on what I'm eating I suppose.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:41:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Usually 2-3

There's this Indian place i go to where they're OCD about refilling your glass after you take a drink from it. Your glass spends more time getting refilled than it does on the table.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:42:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I normally just tell the waitress to bring me a pitcher so it'll be easier on her and I don't have to wait for refills of water therefore making me a happier customer.

If they can't/don't have pitchers I ask them to bring me two glasses so when one is empty, I still have more water to drink while I'm waiting for a refill.

I always drink a lot during dinner, I think its something I got from my dad––Same thing goes for eating fast

Yep, me too. I am a "Leave the pitcher, save yourself some time, thank you ma'am" type.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:42:35 PM EDT
[#18]
4-5 glasses of unsweetened tea
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:49:07 PM EDT
[#19]
I seldom drink anything till after I eat. Usually 8-10 oz of water or unsweetened cold tea is about it. I avoid ice.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:53:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Not more than 3

One after being seated, one while eating and the last while waiting for the bill
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:55:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:56:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Less than one.  Often I drink nothing at all with a meal, and then there are times when my thirst is insatiable.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:56:59 PM EDT
[#23]
doubletap.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 7:01:00 PM EDT
[#24]
I have some condition where food gets stuck in my throat. I don't remember the medical name, but with out drinking fluid it just sits there. Shit sucks.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 7:01:53 PM EDT
[#25]
2-3 beers depending on my mood more if i am having fun...
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 7:02:33 PM EDT
[#26]

Me - 0.

Wife - IV drip.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 7:03:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 7:03:57 PM EDT
[#28]
I'd guess 1-2 given the constraints of poll/OQ.

If beer was in the poll, I got shit for nursing last night when the meatresess kept bring me too much meat to fit in more beer.  And I took the bus down there
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 7:58:27 PM EDT
[#29]
I usually have 1 full glass of whatever (16oz type) and most of the refill glass. So, almost 2.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 8:01:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I'll drink from 4-6 glasses of iced tea. I explain at the beginning that I drink a lot of iced tea. If they keep'em filled, I reward accordingly.

I have the same policy. Of course if the waitress is sporting some nice cleavage I put the glass were she has to reach a little and I drink alot more tea.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 8:03:46 PM EDT
[#31]
I don't usually eat at restaurants but when I do I never even finish the glass of water they give me.
I never ask for another just because I don't need or want one.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 8:04:32 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

How many GLASSES do you drink during a normal, meal?

Normally two, but it depends what I'm eating, how long I'm there, etc.

Plus it's usually beer and that's usually an expensive way to drink beer here.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 8:10:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Drinking any sort of fluid with a meal is horrible for you.

A glass of wine, or a small glass of water is GTG, but for the most part it is best to avoid it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 8:17:50 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

A glass of wine, or a small glass of water is GTG, but for the most part it is best to avoid it.

Explain.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 8:22:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Keeping my glass full ... is that a euphemism for something?

On my own I go through a 12pack of lime Diet Pepsi daily, plus tea and water. If I'm awake, I'm drinking something. 3 or 4 glasses of tea at a meal is fairly normal, but I eat quick - I'm nearly deaf at most restaurants, but a "decent" restaurant implies a lack of crappy piped in music and something with acoustics that don't resemble a steel box, so add 2 or 3 to that for a place where conversation is possible.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 8:24:55 PM EDT
[#36]
At least one or two, it should be refilled as much as needed though.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 8:25:19 PM EDT
[#37]
It depends.

I had lunch today at Texas Roadhouse and had only two glasses of tea.

But on a hot summer day when I've been riding my bike all day and am parched I'll suck down the tea as fast as they can bring it.

I'd say generally two to four glasses of tea per meal.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 8:45:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Explain.

Pretty simple really. Especially with diuretic beverages like anything alcoholic or caffeinated.

Your stomach acid has a particular PH level for a reason. Drinking a bit before or after a meal isn't so bad, but making your food swim in half-diluted stomach acid doesn't really do much for your digestion or extraction of nutrients.

I am not claiming to be a doctor or anything, this is how I was raised and it seems very reasonable/sensible to me. Your body needs to break food down, liquids that dilute your food juice don't help. Especially caffeine which not only makes your body want to get its contents OUT, but also restricts blood flow to the bits that are working on it. Alcohol also detracts from the bodies digestive ability since now it has another job as well.

You will also find kids that have the fat generally can't tell the difference between hungry and thirsty because they suck down too much fluid with a meal, muddling the difference for them

YMMV.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 8:49:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
It depends.

But on a hot summer day when I've been riding my bike all day and am parched I'll suck down the tea as fast as they can bring it.

You drink caffeine when you are dehydrated because???
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 8:51:57 PM EDT
[#40]

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 9:07:25 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Explain.

Pretty simple really. Especially with diuretic beverages like anything alcoholic or caffeinated.

Your stomach acid has a particular PH level for a reason. Drinking a bit before or after a meal isn't so bad, but making your food swim in half-diluted stomach acid doesn't really do much for your digestion or extraction of nutrients.

I am not claiming to be a doctor or anything, this is how I was raised and it seems very reasonable/sensible to me. Your body needs to break food down, liquids that dilute your food juice don't help. Especially caffeine which not only makes your body want to get its contents OUT, but also restricts blood flow to the bits that are working on it. Alcohol also detracts from the bodies digestive ability since now it has another job as well.

You will also find kids that have the fat generally can't tell the difference between hungry and thirsty because they suck down too much fluid with a meal, muddling the difference for them

YMMV.

"liquids that dilute my food juice"? "Especially caffeine which not only makes your body want to get its
contents OUT, but also restricts blood flow to the bits that are working
on it".

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 12:02:42 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Explain.

YMMV.

"liquids that dilute my food juice"? "Especially caffeine which not only makes your body want to get its contents OUT, but also restricts blood flow to the bits that are working on it".

Maybe you should read it again.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 12:04:08 AM EDT
[#43]
Five refills or no tip.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 12:23:23 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
It depends.

The caffeine speeds up your heart rate which in turn speeds up water being absorbed into the body.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 12:33:38 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It depends.

The caffeine speeds up your heart rate which in turn speeds up water being absorbed into the body.

I hope you aren't serious.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 12:39:55 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Brilliant!

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 12:49:44 AM EDT
[#47]
Depends on the kind of meal, but seeing as I drink water its not a big deal. As long as my server doesn't completely ignore me I'm good.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 4:32:04 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
It depends.

Because it's tasty.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 4:46:43 AM EDT
[#49]
Usually 1 refill.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 4:55:38 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Explain.

YMMV.

Hmmm...so you're saying that if I drink enough, I can eat whatever I want because my body will flush it right on through without sucking all the fat out of it?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top